Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Far Corner "Risk" - available now

Great album but a-side is little bit too balls-to-the-wall -kind of stuff for me. Luckily there is more variation and development on the songs on the b-side.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Great album but a-side is little bit too balls-to-the-wall -kind of stuff for me. Luckily there is more variation and development on the songs on the b-side.
    What do you mean by "side"? Is there a vinyl edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    What do you mean by "side"? Is there a vinyl edition?
    I just divided cd roughly to two imaginary sides.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I like the one song I heard. Like to hear more before I dive in and buy another album.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    This disc just arrived along with a few other cd's I ordered. I had my first listen (love those "first" listens when it comes to Prog - those mysterious and sometimes cathartic moments as this new music unfolds before your ears) last evening, taking in the first 3 tracks. Wow! Great stuff. And yes, there is a "balls-to-the-wall" sense, leaving one to make sure you're well fastened into your seat, but it is done so well.

I just divided cd roughly to two imaginary sides.
    It's a valid division - with Chickening as the dividing point. Things get darker and more complex after that, to the end.

But I like sideA the same

Finally got a chance to listen to it yesterday, and enjoyed it from beginning to end. As "balls to the wall" as it is, it's still a far cry from the monotonous thump-thump-thump of prog metal. I enjoyed Kopecky's fretless bass work as much as I did when he played with Par Lindh.

BTW: the 24/96 Hi-Res version on the Cuneiform Band Camp page sounds awesome.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Far Corner "Risk" - available now

Wow! What a phenomenal album. I have both of the previous FC albums, which I do enjoy, but Risk is more powerful & dynamic.

So, yesterday I had Risk playing in my work area @ Lowes. I’m in a back corner of the store, away from customers, building stuff.
    This kid (30-something) is looking at top stocked appliances. He listens for a minute & asks me, “is this Far Corner?” I nearly fainted. “Why, yes.” We talked Prog for bit...
    First time that ever happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    This kid (30-something) is looking at top stocked appliances. He listens for a minute & asks me, “is this Far Corner?” I nearly fainted. “Why, yes.” We talked Prog for bit...
    First time that ever happened.k
    Thank you for sharing this unlikely story!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    So, yesterday I had Risk playing in my work area @ Lowes. I’m in a back corner of the store, away from customers, building stuff.
    First time that ever happened.

Holy cow! For real?! 0_0

That’s crazy! What are the odds.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Purchased!!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Holy cow! For real?! 0_0

That’s crazy! What are the odds.

I know! My jaw hit the floor. Strangely, I’ve been doing this job & playing lots of Prog for a year & this guy “just” heard it! LOL
    Too funny.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

And 'tipp des monats' on the German babyblaue seiten

http://babyblaue-seiten.de/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Very nice - and well written.

Still it's a bit odd how someone would review an album like this without even the tiniest hint at the tradition behind through-composed electroacoustics in progressive rock. It's as if either he isn't aware or he's for some reason consciously avoiding that reference.

A rather prominent ELP-influence was indeed present even on the very fine FC-debut some 14 years back, but this new one bears much further hallmarks from the "classic" chamber-rock sensibilities.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    the tradition behind through-composed electroacoustics in progressive rock. .
    Hey Richard

I'm not 100% certain what you mean by 'through-composed electroacoustics in progesssive rock'! Do you mean amplified acoustic instruments?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^ I mean the fact that even UZero at the time of their debut (41 years ago!) would probably have acknowledged a certain influence from a band like KCrim. Yet a reference to this "interpretive tradition" is completely absent from the review, as though the writer doesn't know of it.

I remember an interview with Finnish 'chamber-metal' quartet Apocalyptica way back in the 90s here in Norway in which the writer made a reference to ELP, prompting a member of the band to object that he absolutely hated the Electric Light Orchestra. Turned out he figured the interviewer was referencing ELO due to the string section involved, and when corrected as to ELP he shrugged in ignorance. Apocalyptica were touring "chamber" renditions of Metallica back then and I just found the whole endeavour rather absurd.

Ach, what the heck. This new one by FC is one of the freshest things in chambre-r&r since Ahvak! A great one which deserves all accolades it could possibly get.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Nice indeed. The reviewer clearly favors adventurous music to begin with, but still great to see Far Corner on that kind of list! And that's got to be the first time in forever I've seen a review reference ELP in a way that didn't trash them!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Thanks for listening. I’m glad that people are enjoying the album.
    We plan to perform live on the Planet Prog radio show on Sunday, August 18 at 9pm (Central):
    https://www.wmse.org/program/plant-prog/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    Thanks for listening. I’m glad that people are enjoying the album.
    We plan to perform live on the Planet Prog radio show on Sunday, August 18 at 9pm (Central):
    https://www.wmse.org/program/plant-prog/
    Great! Thanks for the heads-up Dan! Any plans for live gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozricale View Post
    Great! Thanks for the heads-up Dan! Any plans for live gigs?
    We’re always brainstorming to see what we could do, but there’s nothing officially planned right now.
    Dan Maske

Risk jumped back on my rotation this week, to give a change from post-70's Crimson albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com