Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Far Corner "Risk" - available now

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretz View Post
    we’re in subsidized(hud) housing with a fairly low rent payment each month. On the down side my wife, unbeknownst previously until she was hospitalized, suffered a heart attack. And the hits just keep on coming.Thanks for your thoughts, though, it’s appreciated!
    Wish you all the best as well. Hang in there man. Sorry to hear about your wife. Sending positive thoughts your way.

My review for Risk:

Buy it you fools! It's complete awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    My review for Risk:

Buy it you fools! It's complete awesomeness!
    Yeah.....thats about it.

This is incredible. I must have this CD. Is that a mellotron I am hearing? And this piece is so adventurous....omg..Far Corner...and I am amazed by this.

I keep listening and listening, and still haven't deciphered but a tiny piece of it. The wealth of ideas is dazzling.

The term avant-chamber-prog could also be misleading in a sense (as all labels are): this is a very dense work of music, but not highly dissonant or experimental. I believe that - with some effort from the listener - it could appeal to more "traditional" prog audiences. Bartok and Univers Zero is a clear source for FC, but so is ELP or Banco del Mutuo Soccorso or whatever. Listen to the beginning of Flim Flam Man. Tarkus resurrected!

The keyboard work is A-ma-zing! Dan Maske is the real thing. A keyboard deity.

But despite all delicate nuances, despite intricate arrangements and super-sophisticated compositions, this is Rock-music, played with maximum, devilish energy and delivered in a straightforward way (I would attribute this to the rhythm-section, and particularly to the drums - you even get the double bass-drum treatment). And that's Risk's greatest virtue: it sounds fresh, modern, rejuvenating, relevant. It's possibly the finest example of how progressive-rock should sound in 2018.

Do not miss this record.

Bartok and Univers Zero is a clear source for FC, but so is ELP or Banco del Mutuo Soccorso or whatever.
    Absolutely ELP. If you never heard their first album, I said this in the hype way back when:

"Far Corner play carefully honed compositions, composed in a style that reflects influences from 20th century composers, such as Stravinsky and Bartok combined with classical/chamber rock greats like Univers Zero, early ELP, Present and more, combined in their own fashion."

Glad you are enjoying it so much. Really nice to hear so much enthusiasm.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Really nice to hear so much enthusiasm.
    I am pretty sure that much more of that is on the way. Thanks Steve.

The unanimous acclaim here prompted me to give a listen and then order a few days ago.

Getting a bit impatient waiting for my CD to arrive!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Since there are no credits whatsoever for electric guitar, can anybody tell me what is this "thing" that sounds so much like guitar on many rhythmic parts?

Since there are no credits whatsoever for electric guitar, can anybody tell me what is this "thing" that sounds so much like guitar on many rhythmic parts?
    It is very likely, a cello through a pedal.

Not Far Corner, but check out this video from Raphael Weinroth-Browne. Everything but the drums is played with an ACOUSTIC CELLO.

neil

The low / mid range crunch, sort of like a rhythm guitar, is Angela's cello through a fuzz box.

You can kind of see it in parts here:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

The low / mid range crunch, sort of like a rhythm guitar, is Angela's cello through a fuzz box.
    That's it! Amazing! It sounds really heavy.

Thank you guys.

I've been listening to Risk intensely since it came out. I'm blown away! I totally agree this is amazing. I'm in Wisconsin so hoping to see them live someday.

as of this moment, it's the #1 rated album on Prog Archives.

Thanks, everyone. I have let the band know; I haven't heard back but I'm sure they will be thrilled.

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 1.04.51 PM.jpg
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^^Very happy to hear this, and well deserved. It's an awesome album, just bursting with ideas.

neil

I hate to agree with PA, but in a year of excellent releases, yes, that one has to be my most preferred album of the year.

^ ^ ^ ^

they were thrilled.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It's taken me forever to properly get this CD so that I can actually listen to it (...there are now two copies of it in my house, but only one in my possession - it's a fairly untidy house which also contains a two-year-old daughter whose main hobby is stealing things and hiding them in unexpected places). But it is one hell of a record! Different things are still striking me each time I listen to it but it is spinning currently and I'm struck by what a tour de force this is for Dan Maske. Among other things there is some organ-mangling on this record that should have Saint Keith grinning down from on high...

One beneficial effect of this long wait is that it made me dig out Endangered, which I bought back in the day but never really connected with. It only got a few plays. Either the recording has matured whilst it was on the shelf, or I've belatedly got a clue, as I now like it a lot. A fine chamber counterpart to the harder-rocking Risk.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Either the recording has matured whilst it was on the shelf, or I've belatedly got a clue
    That's how it is with Cuneiform releases - 'avant-garde a clue, mate'......

[been waiting about 8 years to use that one!]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

One of the best 10 albums of 2018, regardless genre. Thanks Steve for releasing it!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

That's how it is with Cuneiform releases - 'avant-garde a clue, mate'......

[been waiting about 8 years to use that one!]
    Happy to oblige!

Bandcamp Profile

Dan Maske is God, but this is such an obvious statement that we can move to other things...

What Kopecky and Craig do is far less obvious - especially in Craig's case - but it's the heart of this beautiful record.

After 20 effortless listens - which I haven't done for any other artist in a long time - I say this is a landmark record for progressive rock music.

In a great year for progressive music, this is easily album of the year for me.

I can be autistic and repeat myself, but at least I am doing it because I love this music so much, and not just for argument's sake.

I *still* have not given this one a proper listen. I just sent the Bandcamp link to my home computer so I can remind myself to give it the attention it deserves, and to purchase it...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-