Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: King's X in 2019: New Album + Book

  1. #26
    Just put the book on my Amazon Want List.

    And yeah, I love Ear Candy. The only KX record that I don't listen to everything on is BLS.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, is it Doug Pinnick, or dUg Pinnick as the press release has it?
    His name is Doug. He's odd and artistic and expressive, so he started spelling his name dUg.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a few live videos on YouTube? I've listened to a bit of the band, but never seen them in action. I like their sound, but never explored their music fully.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnuyU7G8PEY

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a few live videos on YouTube? I've listened to a bit of the band, but never seen them in action. I like their sound, but never explored their music fully.

    Also, is it Doug Pinnick, or dUg Pinnick as the press release has it?
    I actually just finished reading the authorized biography of Pinnick (good book btw). His legal name is still Doug, but he started using dUg as a stage name a while back. The book does not really go into why, just that he decided to do it for some reason.

  5. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a few live videos on YouTube? I've listened to a bit of the band, but never seen them in action. I like their sound, but never explored their music fully.

    Also, is it Doug Pinnick, or dUg Pinnick as the press release has it?
    Probably their best known song:


  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Probably their best known song:

    I believe that was shot during the LA riots. They were booked on a show (Leno? Conan?), and due to the riots there was no audience. They shot the performance anyway.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vid looks familiar to me.

  7. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I believe that was shot during the LA riots. They were booked on a show (Leno? Conan?), and due to the riots there was no audience. They shot the performance anyway.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vid looks familiar to me.
    I believe that is correct, but not totally sure on it.

  8. #33
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    483
    that video is on a FOX Affiliate, so I doubt it was Conan or Leno.

    here's maybe their most well-known TV appearance on the short-lived Jon Stewart show in 1994.


  9. #34
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    483
    Dennis Miller

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller

    Guests included Mountain (with Leslie West and Corky Laing), Toad the Wet Sprocket (who made their national television debut on the show), Henry Rollins (who appeared repeatedly to chat with Miller and perform spoken word), Primus (who while performing "Tommy the Cat", had to deal with a member of the audience who jumped onstage—whom Miller playfully tried to "tackle"), King's X (who performed two songs, "Black Flag" and "It's Love" to empty seats in the studio due to the 1992 Los Angeles riots), and comedian Bill Hicks.
    also it's worth mentioning Ty add's a nod to Norwegian Wood at the end of It's Love (4:39).

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Dennis Miller

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Miller



    also it's worth mentioning Ty add's a nod to Norwegian Wood at the end of It's Love (4:39).
    Ah, thank you, sir!

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    that video is on a FOX Affiliate, so I doubt it was Conan or Leno.

    here's maybe their most well-known TV appearance on the short-lived Jon Stewart show in 1994.

    Ooh, thanks for that! dUg is one of the best screamers in rawk.

    Lol, it looks like he messes up around 3:15 and starts to sing, "give me..." and then half smiles. Seconds later, he puts a "gun" to his head.

    And Jerry. That guy must go through drum heads like I go through beer!
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 4 Days Ago at 03:56 PM.

  12. #37
    The first 4 albums seem to get the most love and while there are some great songs on there, there are also some that leave me flat. Hard to pin down why this band didn't click better with me, but when I see live videos I like them a lot better. I don't hear much mention of Tape Head from 1988 but I'm listening to it for the first time and this might be my favorite KX! Maybe I should investigate more of the stuff from Dogman onward, is that when they were considered to have become more heavy/down-tuned? Maybe that's the sound I like better for them...
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  13. #38
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    also it's worth mentioning Ty add's a nod to Norwegian Wood at the end of It's Love (4:39).
    I was just going to mention that - very cool!
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The first 4 albums seem to get the most love and while there are some great songs on there, there are also some that leave me flat. Hard to pin down why this band didn't click better with me, but when I see live videos I like them a lot better. I don't hear much mention of Tape Head from 1988 but I'm listening to it for the first time and this might be my favorite KX! Maybe I should investigate more of the stuff from Dogman onward, is that when they were considered to have become more heavy/down-tuned? Maybe that's the sound I like better for them...
    I have always thought that they had something live, that was not really captured on their studio albums. I don't think there is any studio album that I love all the way through, although they all have good material.

  15. #40
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    691
    Always loved Prisoner from their 1992 s/t album.

    Great outro guitar solo from Ty

    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •