Thread: Spacious Mind fans

Spacious Mind fans

I know there has to be at least 5 of us here...

Did you see LaserCD has a new CD by them?

It's actually just a bunch of unreleased and/or hard to find stuff, but at $12 it's s steal, considering it is a limited run of only 300.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/drifter-0

I ordered one..., anyone else???

cheers

Thanks for the heads up on this. I loved this band back in the day. I always thought they were one of the best practitioners of stoner/psyche/festival/jamband rock on the circuit back then.

I grabbed this immediately, listened to the first two extended 15 minute jams and loved it! So yeah...good find!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I really like this band, my top three would be Rotvalta, Cosmic Minds At Play and Garden Of A Well Fed Head. I like the live one called Do Your Own Thing But Don't Touch Ours.
    Thanks for the mention of the new one.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I loved this band back in the day. I always thought they were one of the best practitioners of stoner/psyche/festival/jamband rock on the circuit back then.
    They were. Organic Mind Solution remains one of the greatest and most defining "deep" space-rock albums of all time, and when I saw them live in '97 it was a spectacle. But I have to admit I didn't even know that they were still operating! The psych/space scene in Sweden has always (i.e. since the late 60s) been considerable, so it doesn't surprise me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    I'm a fan so that makes five 😀. Thanks for the heads up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I went for the download from Amazon. I have a few of the band's releases and really like them.

I was fortunate to see them live in a very intimate, little-advertised show in a Harlem music/art studio around 10 years ago. It was a very cool scene, with everyone just sitting in easy chairs, etc. not 10 feet from the band. Definitely one of the coolest shows I've been too. I'm friends with the drummer from the No-Neck Blues Band (now drummer/leader of the band Sabbath Assembly), and he organized the show as it was the studio he used.

Make em 6. These are the rightful Hawkwind heirs.

But I am pretty sure they're not active anymore. Despite this release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Make em 6. These are the rightful Hawkwind heirs.

But I am pretty sure they're not active anymore. Despite this release.
    I was 6 - you're 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They were. Organic Mind Solution remains one of the greatest and most defining "deep" space-rock albums of all time, and when I saw them live in '97 it was a spectacle. But I have to admit I didn't even know that they were still operating! The psych/space scene in Sweden has always (i.e. since the late 60s) been considerable, so it doesn't surprise me.
    Agreed , OMS is a killer album.

Count me in. I'm a fan and have nine or ten of their releases. They were great at ProgDay in 2005. That's the only time I've had an opportunity to see them live. I've always considered them to be one of the best space-rock bands in the world.

One of the best acts that emerged in the 90s. Organic Mind Solution is an all times spacerock classic.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    Count me in. I'm a fan and have nine or ten of their releases. They were great at ProgDay in 2005. That's the only time I've had an opportunity to see them live. I've always considered them to be one of the best space-rock bands in the world.
    Maybe 2005 is when I saw them at that studio in Harlem. I know I didn't make it to that ProgDay, but they must have been good to see there too!

Love them to death. No one makes hard psych like them. It's simply exactly my cup of psych coffee. Actually I think one of their latest or even THE latest studio release Gentle Path Highway is their masterpiece. Just listen to the slow progression of the song "Rider Of the Woodlands" which beings with like a small breeze and ends like complete madness.

And nothing beats this jam from Rotvälta:

Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I like the live one called Do Your Own Thing But Don't Touch Ours.
    That's a great one, I especially like the 23 minute: Upon Which Areas May the Circles Be Drawn...!

I bought the first one when it came out, and it was good, but I never bought any others. There was a lot of jammy Psych coming out of Sweden at the time, and for me, they got lost in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    That's a great one, I especially like the 23 minute: Upon Which Areas May the Circles Be Drawn...!

Nothing like a 23 minute opener to break the ice. Love that track!
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There was a lot of jammy Psych coming out of Sweden at the time, and for me, they got lost in the mix.
    Yeah (first paragraph), but I'd dare say The Spacious Mind were actually the very one to stand out. Cosmic Minds at Play (the debut) is fairly good, but their second, Organic Mind Solution, is absolutely where it all comes together in an integral, visionary whole of sound. This was the release which encouraged bands all over the map to take one step further into the dome-of.drone; SubArachnoid Space, Melting Euphoria, Hidria Spacefolk and so on.

Possibly the finest Swedish "out" psych release since Älgarnas Trädgård, and that's saying something.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Listening to Organic Mind Solution now. My Mind is Solved. Organically.

What is most important to me is that they managed to excel in a musical genre which is easy to be good at, but very hard to stand out.

Definitely one of the greaterst bands of the 90's. Or of all time actually.

I know there has to be at least 5 of us here...

Did you see LaserCD has a new CD by them?

It's actually just a bunch of unreleased and/or hard to find stuff, but at $12 it's s steal, considering it is a limited run of only 300.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/drifter-0

I ordered one..., anyone else???

cheers
    I have this CD as well. Looking forward to hearing it!

I saw them at ProgDay '05 too, had my mind blown, bought Ratvalta which is great (Goddamn I'm A Country Man is the coolest name for a record label btw). Embarrassingly i sort of forgot about them so thanks for the reminder, i need to reconnect.

On a side note speaking of lasercd years ago they were pushing a band called 35007 from the Netherlands so i bought Liquid, very similar to The Spacious Mind (at least on that particular album) if you like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I saw them at ProgDay '05 too, had my mind blown, bought Ratvalta which is great (Goddamn I'm A Country Man is the coolest name for a record label btw). Embarrassingly i sort of forgot about them so thanks for the reminder, i need to reconnect.

On a side note speaking of lasercd years ago they were pushing a band called 35007 from the Netherlands so i bought Liquid, very similar to The Spacious Mind (at least on that particular album) if you like that sort of thing.
    Thanks for the 35007 tip, gonna check them out, BTW I received my CD today...

Drifter is awesome...
    anyone else get it yet?

Drifter is awesome...
    anyone else get it yet?
    Yes. I got it a couple of weeks ago. It's great to have all of those older tracks in one place.

There's a new LP from The Spacious Mind out on Essence Music. It looks and sounds fantastic!

http://essence-music.com
    https://essence-music.bandcamp.com/a...r-5-gravy-band

Great to see them back!

The new album is pretty, pretty good and the artwork is fantastic. Try holding this puppy in your hands, and then tell me about all the decisive advantages of CDs.