Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Anthology / Compilations?

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    It has Theme One but I don't know if it is the only such one. I bought it when it was released because at the time I did not think any more VDGG albums would be released.
    I think that's the only one that has the original single version. Theme One appears on the boxset and also on the remastered Pawn Hearts CD, but neither of those are the single version.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    - probably not many Gordon Lightfoot fans here, but Songbook was a great box from Rhino. Just about every popular Gord song, plus some previously unreleased tracks.
    I'm curious as to why you would think there are not many Gordon Lightfoot fans here. I'm certainly a fan, though since Amazon wants $194 for this set I'm hardly likely to snap it up.

Folks interested in checking out the music of guitarist John Fahey might like a compilation i've had for a few years,titled "Twilight On Prince Georges Avenue".This cd gathers several tracks Fahey recorded for Varrick Records in the 80's and 90's.

Good stuff.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm curious as to why you would think there are not many Gordon Lightfoot fans here. I'm certainly a fan, though since Amazon wants $194 for this set I'm hardly likely to snap it up.
    Yeah, it's apparently been out of print for some time. I'm glad I grabbed it when I did.

I just wouldn't expect many prog fans to also be Lightfoot fans. But I know we have some diverse tastes around here, so I'm happy to be proved wrong! I heard Gord from probably the day I was born -- my mom was a fan -- and the music has always stuck with me. It has an even more special significance for me in that I was on a big Lightfoot kick when my daughter was born. Now I always think of his music in the context of my sweet little lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Squeeze- Singles 45's and under
    This is virtually everything you could want to hear from Squeeze. I say "virtually" because I own the CD, and I rather wish they added a few of the later singles (like "Last Time Forever" and "Hourglass") as bonuses.

The best ABBA compilation is the sadly-rare-on-CD The Singles (The First Ten Years). I'd have swapped out "So Long" for "Angeleyes" and The Visitors is regrettably under-represented (no "Head Over Heels"?). Little to complain about otherwise. The addition of the final two singles from the aborted You Owe Me One sessions are a big plus ("The Day Before You Came" is one of their most stunning songs).

The Pretenders The Singles is also essential. No low points on that one.

^'Head Over Heels' really was a flop in the UK- their first since their post-Eurovision releases. 'The Day Before You Came' and 'Under Attack' also performed very poorly here but I guess were on it because there was no other outlet for them and were new at the time.

The Carpenters' first singles release, 'The Singles 1969-73' is still essential if you're a fan, as it's almost the only compilation of theirs ever to include the original mixes...and even this has a few segues and different (though better) vocals. There's another one called 'Yesterday Once More' which has almost every song from this first singles release, most of the second '1974-78' one (including a few rare single mixes not on that) and also adds most of the subsequent singles. I do have this on record, but I gather it's very rare on CD. It too has the original mixes as opposed to Richard's later 80s/90s remixes which are basically the default versions now.