Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Art Ensemble Of Chicago 21 CD Box Set on ECM

Art Ensemble of Chicago are currently recording an album for the Pi label in Ann Arbor Michigan.No word on when it will be released.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Has anybody received their box set? I got mine today and what a huge disappointment. The packaging is the cheapest garbage I've ever seen. Shame on ECM. It's not a closable clam shell case, but an open ended flimsy box. The super thin gate fold sleeves cave to one end when you pull out the thick booklet. You pretty much have to dump the contents out onto a table. Shabby, indeed! Now that that's out of the way I'll get busy listening to the music.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 1 Week Ago at 05:25 PM.

Mine arrived today.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Has anybody received their box set? I got mine today and what a huge disappointment. The packaging is the cheapest garbage I've ever seen. Shame on ECM. It's not a closable clam shell case, but an open ended flimsy box. The super thin gate fold sleeves cave to one end when you pull out the thick booklet. You pretty much have to dump the contents out onto a table. Shabby, indeed! Now that that's out of the way I'll get busy listening to the music.
    I got my box too, but haven't had a chance to listen to anything yet. The packaging doesn't bother me so much, but I do agree it is a bit of a tight squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I'm not really surprised - and that's one of the reasons I haven't indulged in it, as I was waiting for a return of experience...

just like Aka Moon's boxset was extremely cheap manufacturing as well.... (I also backed out of it... especially that I owned 2/3 of them before hand, unlike AEC)

No secrets or miracles about it: ultra-cheap prices = cheap manufacture
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

I got mine, and have been slowly making my way through it. Oh, does it bring back memories! I love these guys and the music is as new now as it was 40 years ago.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    No secrets or miracles about it: ultra-cheap prices = cheap manufacture
    No, it's poor design. I have loads of cheap classical boxes that cost one fourth the price of the AEC set and they are extremely user friendly and space savers. But I'm enjoying the music. New Directions in Europe is a great live set. And I enjoyed Full Force as well.