Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Art Ensemble Of Chicago 21 CD Box Set on ECM

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I'd start with a few of the sessions they recorded in Paris in 1969 as a quartet(before Don Moye joined).

    People In Sorrow
    A Jackson In Your House
    Message To Our Folks
    It's too bad People In Sorrow is not in print (as far as I know). Can be found on YouTube and such places.

    I have been enjoying a double CD on Nessa under Lester Bowie's name titled All the Numbers. It is the complete sessions for the 1967 album Numbers 1 and 2, before they took the AEoC name but including the original four members (Joseph Jarman is not on the first CD).

    Of the albums in print with Moye try Nice Guys.

  2. #27
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Does this box have a theme? Seems a bit of a "grab bag". Some nice material on here, though.
    Yup, nothing from the early days (which wasn't on ECM



    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I'm completely ignorant on the Art Ensemble of Chicago. What is the best starting point?
    I'd start with a few of the sessions they recorded in Paris in 1969 as a quartet(before Don Moye joined).

    People In Sorrow
    A Jackson In Your House
    Message To Our Folks
    Which aren't in the boxset, since they're the early days...
    I don't own anything featured in the boxset, and despite the good prices, I'm not sure I need much of it.

    Maybe the first two ECM albums ... I'm not sure how they fared the 80's & 90's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  3. #28
    I don't know if they're still in print, but back in the late 90's, Koch records reissued the two mid 70's Atlantic albums they did. There was a live album called Bap-Tizum, which was recorded during a performance at one of the Ann Arbor Jazz And Blues fests. There was also a studio disc called Fanfare For The Warriors. Fanfare...has a spoken word piece on it called Illistrium, which is where the Odwalla juice company got it's name from.

    There's also a live album called Live At Mandel Hall, recorded when the band first came back to Chicago after their sabbatical living in Paris. The CD I have is one big 70-whatever minute long track, but apparently they play through about 4 different compositions over the course of the performance.

    Another good one is the album they did with Fontella Bass. Yes, the same Fontella Bass who sang Rescue Me. I think it's just called Art Ensemble Of Chicago w/Fontella Bass. Great record, if you don't mind vocals mixed in with your phre jazz.

  4. #29
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    257
    ^^^
    All available from Discogs vendors at affordable prices.

  5. #30
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,293
    I would echo that People In Sorrow makes a good starting point in general. However, AEoC's style changed over time and in relation to the box set, Full Force, Nice Guys, and Urban Bushmen represent some of best music (and more indicative of what would be on the box set as a whole). Later in the 80s, the albums are less impressive. However some of their later work like Tribute to Lester hits the mark well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  6. #31
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    .

    There's also a live album called Live At Mandel Hall, recorded when the band first came back to Chicago after their sabbatical living in Paris. .
    Good record.I see Live At Mandel Hall as a transitional session between what the band was in Paris circa 69-70 and what they became later.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  7. #32
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Another good one is the album they did with Fontella Bass. Yes, the same Fontella Bass who sang Rescue Me.
    And who happened to be married to the AEC's Lester Bowie.

  8. #33
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    257
    Anybody have the Coming Home Jamaica album? It's maybe not considered one of their strongest efforts but I've always enjoyed spinning this one. Some of their more out playing and humorous antics don't seem to translate to records all that well. I've always felt like they were one of those bands that had to be experienced live.

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    80
    Wow, didn't see that coming. Very exciting band!

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And who happened to be married to the AEC's Lester Bowie.
    Interesting interview with David Sanborn a few years back about knowing Lester Bowie and Phillip Wilson (the original drummer in Roscoe Mitchell's groups with Lester Bowie, who quit to join Paul Butterfield) in the pre-AEoC days:

    https://ethaniverson.com/david-sanbo...hillip-wilson/

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Interesting interview with David Sanborn a few years back about knowing Lester Bowie and Phillip Wilson (the original drummer in Roscoe Mitchell's groups with Lester Bowie, who quit to join Paul Butterfield) in the pre-AEoC days:

    https://ethaniverson.com/david-sanbo...hillip-wilson/
    I saw Wilson playing with Lester's Brass Fantasy up at Mikell's in New York many years ago - he was awesome - played real hard - that band had some real names in it - Steve Turre, Craig Harris, Bob Stewart, Stanton Davis, Vincent Chancey, Malachi Thompson and that evening my wife and I befriended trumpet player Henry Scott who was subbing - we met him again playing in Sun Ra's band - he played regularly with Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society.

    As for the AEoC - I always thought the ECM recordings kinda mellowed them out a bit - their earlier stuff is definitely better.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Anybody have the Coming Home Jamaica album? It's maybe not considered one of their strongest efforts but I've always enjoyed spinning this one. Some of their more out playing and humorous antics don't seem to translate to records all that well. I've always felt like they were one of those bands that had to be experienced live.
    Yeah, it's a good record. I remember buying that when i twas brand new. Apparently, there's been a reissue with a couple bonus tracks.

  13. #38
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Mildly interested.It has lots of music i don't own, lots that i do.

    I may spring for it, maybe not.
    this is basically how I feel. maybe one day...
    The desert is not a rose.
    Softly goes the coda.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  14. #39
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,168
    As i posted up thread, $76 for this box is too good a bargain to resist.Ordered from ImportCDs.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    As i posted up thread, $76 for this box is too good a bargain to resist.Ordered from ImportCDs.
    And again, I repeat my caveat, Good luck with that.

  16. #41
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And again, I repeat my caveat, Good luck with that.
    I've ordered more than a couple of cds from them over the last few years,haven't had any problems.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  17. #42
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    257
    Never had a problem with importcds. I pre-ordered the box because it'll be back ordered immediately upon release at that low price.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I've ordered more than a couple of cds from them over the last few years,haven't had any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Never had a problem with importcds. I pre-ordered the box because it'll be back ordered immediately upon release at that low price.
    I used to order them on a regular basis, but I can sick of tired of them cancelling orders because "That item is out of stock, and we can't reorder, sorry for the inconvenience". I had the same problem with Deep Discount, too.

    A low price doesn't mean anything if you can't actually fulfill the damn order. I've never had that problem with Amazon, probably because they tell you up front on the product page if something is out of stock to begin with. Come to think of it, I've never had that problem with Wayside Music either (at least, not as long as Steve has had the website).

    The only way I'll do business with Import CD's these days is through the Amazon Marketplace. For whatever reason, they never seem to have a problem filling my order when I order that way. But I don't go through the Import CD's website anymore.

    The only way I'll do business with

  19. #44
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    As i posted up thread, $76 for this box is too good a bargain to resist.Ordered from ImportCDs.
    True...but I didn't agree with that post.
    The desert is not a rose.
    Softly goes the coda.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  20. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Another good one is the album they did with Fontella Bass. Yes, the same Fontella Bass who sang Rescue Me. I think it's just called Art Ensemble Of Chicago w/Fontella Bass. Great record, if you don't mind vocals mixed in with your phre jazz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I would echo that People In Sorrow makes a good starting point in general.
    Both albums were released together in 2002 on the compilation The Pathé Sessions (EMI):
    https://www.discogs.com/Art-Ensemble...elease/1056015

    It's now out of print, but absolutely worth searching for - even better starting point than People in sorrow alone. In fact, it WAS starting point for me, and worked perfectly. :-)

  21. #46
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by akond View Post
    Both albums were released together in 2002 on the compilation The Pathé Sessions (EMI):
    [url]https://www.discogs.com/Art-Ensemble-Of-Chicago-The-Pathé-Sessions/release/1056 :-)
    The album released with People In Sorrow was Les Stances A Sophie, a soundtrack that features Fontella Bass on several tracks.The Art Ensemble Of Chicago with Fontella Bass is a different album.

    Les Stances A Sophie was recently re-issued as a stand alone on the Soul Jazz label.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  22. #47
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    The album released with People In Sorrow was Les Stances A Sophie, a soundtrack that features Fontella Bass on several tracks.The Art Ensemble Of Chicago with Fontella Bass is a different album.

    Les Stances A Sophie was recently re-issued as a stand alone on the Soul Jazz label.
    I have that 2-fer. Sounds like a needle drop. Americans Swinging In Paris is the title of the CD.

  23. #48
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I have that 2-fer. Sounds like a needle drop. Americans Swinging In Paris is the title of the CD.
    Me too.I agree about the needle drop.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    The album released with People In Sorrow was Les Stances A Sophie, a soundtrack that features Fontella Bass on several tracks.The Art Ensemble Of Chicago with Fontella Bass is a different album.
    You're right, I forgot about this one.

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Americans Swinging In Paris is the title of the CD.
    I thought so for some time, but it is the title of entire series released by EMI France, actually:
    https://www.discogs.com/label/473433...nging-In-Paris

    I have only AEOC album, but look at all the covers leaves no doubt.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •