Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Kate Bush Catalog Remaster/Vinyl Release!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it! Since you don't have a physical copy, did you know that was Elton John doing the male vocals on "Snowed in at Wheeler Street?" I didn't like that song much at first, but after a few listens I grew to like it.
    I didn't realize it at first -- it was only after going and reading about the songs online that I saw Elton John was on that one. I wouldn't have guessed it! His voice has changed a bit, and I haven't really heard much of his recent stuff I guess.

That one probably didn't make as much of an impression as some of the other tracks did, but I suspect repeat listenings will make it grow on me. The song "Wild Man" was very odd and took some fascinating turns. And "Misty" was sad and strangely touching, although I don't think I can quite put into words just how it made me feel -- it was the one that hit me the hardest. I wish I hadn't waited so long to hear this album, but better late than never I suppose.

How is the Before The Dawn live set? I wish I could have attended one of those shows, but travel overseas is cost-prohibitive for me (or at least it was at that time).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I didn't realize it at first -- it was only after going and reading about the songs online that I saw Elton John was on that one. I wouldn't have guessed it! His voice has changed a bit, and I haven't really heard much of his recent stuff I guess.

That one probably didn't make as much of an impression as some of the other tracks did, but I suspect repeat listenings will make it grow on me. The song "Wild Man" was very odd and took some fascinating turns. And "Misty" was sad and strangely touching, although I don't think I can quite put into words just how it made me feel -- it was the one that hit me the hardest. I wish I hadn't waited so long to hear this album, but better late than never I suppose.

How is the Before The Dawn live set? I wish I could have attended one of those shows, but travel overseas is cost-prohibitive for me (or at least it was at that time).
    I feel the same as you on pretty much everything above. I actually have only listened to a little of Before the Dawn, but once that second boxed set arrives I hope to rectify that. (The main reason I like boxed sets is that they're relatively easy to find in my crazily scattered collection!)

I would have loved to see one of those shows too. I think overseas travel is very sadly hard to afford. It's always hard for me to get around the fact that getting to a destination costs more than staying there and subsisting there for a week or so.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

I feel the same as you on pretty much everything above. I actually have only listened to a little of Before the Dawn, but once that second boxed set arrives I hope to rectify that. (The main reason I like boxed sets is that they're relatively easy to find in my crazily scattered collection!)

Wild Man I think of as being kind of like "King of the Mountain" from Aerial.

I would have loved to see one of those shows too. I think overseas travel is very sadly hard to afford. It's always hard for me to get around the fact that getting to a destination costs more than staying there and subsisting there for a week or so.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

'Before the Dawn' is disappointing - dull sounding in places, and sometimes sounds like it wasn't mic'd up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    'Before the Dawn' is disappointing - dull sounding in places, and sometimes sounds like it wasn't mic'd up properly.
    Disagree. On a good stereo system it sounds like it did at the Hammersmith. I agree though that on average systems it might sound muddy.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the first boxset, from the Francophone Amazon site. I didn't realize they have a function that gives you the final price in USD, which came out to something like 55 dollars before shipping. And the price difference between "standard shipping" and "Expedition AmazonGlobal" shipping (I think that's what it was called) was less than two dollars, but with a theoretical arrival date of more about a week faster. So I went ahead and got that.

So in one fell swoop, I finally have all those albums I should have bought on LP back in the late 80's and early 90's. I know I saw The Dreaming, at the very least, at used record stores on a regular basis back then. And I should have gotten the records that David Gilmour and Jeff Beck played on long ago, since ya know, I do call myself "Guitar Geek".

But as I said earlier, I've heard a handful of songs from before and after The Hounds Of Love, but that's the only album I've ever owned. I remember reading an article on her in Keyboard magazine in the mid 80's, that's how I first heard of her, when she was on the cover with her Fairlight. That was a year or so before Hounds Of Love came out.

So I went to the library, and lo and behold they had some sort of compilation that i remember borrowing, but the only song I really remember hearing from that is Sat In Your Lap (edit: Wikipedia reminds me that it was actually the eponymous EP that her US label put out, circa 1983). Then came Hounds Of Love, and I heard all the singles from that one, then came Experiment IV, This Woman's Work (which I don't actually think I heard until years later, when I saw the video on VH-1 Classic), Love And Anger, etc. And I remember Night Flight doing a retrospective on Kate, so I saw the videos for Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Suspended In Gaffa, etc. I also remember Night Flight showing the Hammersmith Odeon concert, but I remember virtually nothing from it.

Oh yeah, and there was Kate's SNL appearance, circa 1979 or so, where she sang The Man With The Child In Her Eyes while sitting on Paul Shaffer's piano. I heard that's the only time she's done anything Stateside because she has what Rory Gallagher once termed a "Buddy Holly complex", i.e. fear of flying.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Gotcha. And am I right in believing each country requires a separate account? I very nearly pulled the trigger on the first CD box last night, but couldnt' sign in to either the Canadian or French sites. Well, I might not be able to get free two day shipping, but i believe at least on the Canadian site I can get normal free shipping, I guess because the price is over whatever the threshold for free shipping is these days (it used to be $25 on the Stateside site, then it went up to $35, then I think $45, then I have no idea what it is these days, as I have Prime).
    When you create an amazon account on one shop, it automatically creates accounts across all amazons. But prime only applies to the country in which you buy it, so if you wanted it in two countries you'd have to buy it twice.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    When you create an amazon account on one shop, it automatically creates accounts across all amazons. But prime only applies to the country in which you buy it, so if you wanted it in two countries you'd have to buy it twice.
    Yeah, I pretty much figured that out. And it turns out there's no free shipping option (I guess that's only available for domestic delivery in the given territory). Oh well. I still think I got a good deal. 65 bucks for 7 CD's, that's less than 10 dollars per album, which is probably better than if i had bought the albums individually at whichever point over the years.

I usually use a currency converter like the OANDA Converter to compare:

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

I think you got a pretty good price.

I usually use a currency converter like the OANDA Converter to compare:

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

I think you got a pretty good price.
    I used ex.com, and the French Amazon site had their own converter as well. And yeah, I think I got a reasonably good price.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    That was quite enjoyable, thanks! Nice to read such a piece by someone well-versed on the subject.

Box 2 is on its way now. Somehow I think Amazon is more in lockstep with Fish People's distributor for this box - the shipping process seems smoother, and Amazon has sort of gone out of its way to "guarantee" on-time delivery. I'll let you know...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the first boxset, from the Francophone Amazon site. I didn't realize they have a function that gives you the final price in USD, which came out to something like 55 dollars before shipping. And the price difference between "standard shipping" and "Expedition AmazonGlobal" shipping (I think that's what it was called) was less than two dollars, but with a theoretical arrival date of more about a week faster. So I went ahead and got that.

So in one fell swoop, I finally have all those albums I should have bought on LP back in the late 80's and early 90's. I know I saw The Dreaming, at the very least, at used record stores on a regular basis back then. And I should have gotten the records that David Gilmour and Jeff Beck played on long ago, since ya know, I do call myself "Guitar Geek".

But as I said earlier, I've heard a handful of songs from before and after The Hounds Of Love, but that's the only album I've ever owned. I remember reading an article on her in Keyboard magazine in the mid 80's, that's how I first heard of her, when she was on the cover with her Fairlight. That was a year or so before Hounds Of Love came out.

So I went to the library, and lo and behold they had some sort of compilation that i remember borrowing, but the only song I really remember hearing from that is Sat In Your Lap (edit: Wikipedia reminds me that it was actually the eponymous EP that her US label put out, circa 1983). Then came Hounds Of Love, and I heard all the singles from that one, then came Experiment IV, This Woman's Work (which I don't actually think I heard until years later, when I saw the video on VH-1 Classic), Love And Anger, etc. And I remember Night Flight doing a retrospective on Kate, so I saw the videos for Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Suspended In Gaffa, etc. I also remember Night Flight showing the Hammersmith Odeon concert, but I remember virtually nothing from it.

Oh yeah, and there was Kate's SNL appearance, circa 1979 or so, where she sang The Man With The Child In Her Eyes while sitting on Paul Shaffer's piano. I heard that's the only time she's done anything Stateside because she has what Rory Gallagher once termed a "Buddy Holly complex", i.e. fear of flying.
    Oh wait til you hear 'The Ninth Wave' suite and The Sensual World!

I too remember (vaguely) seeing her on SNL, but the song I remember her doing is Them Heavy People.

The way I really discovered her though was buying a used copy of The Dreaming when I was in college. I probably wouldn't have bought it if not for seeing Gilmour's name in the credits! Suspended in Gaffa was the song that did it for me.

I too remember (vaguely) seeing her on SNL, but the song I remember her doing is Them Heavy People.

The way I really discovered her though was buying a used copy of The Dreaming when I was in college. I probably wouldn't have bought it if not for seeing Gilmour's name in the credits! Suspended in Gaffa was the song that did it for me.
    'There Goes A Tenner' for me. Those were some moody minor chords that no one else was doing, but it had a sense of something almost familiar to me that I could relate to.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I distinctly remember sitting in the sitting room in my parents house, very stoned, and watching Kate on SNL. Our jaws hit the floor. Stunning beauty.

I'm gonna have to pick these up one by one, but one by one I shall acquire them all. Gorgeous.

Kate Bush Kick Inside LP Label.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Disagree. On a good stereo system it sounds like it did at the Hammersmith. I agree though that on average systems it might sound muddy.
    But it shouldn't sound muddy on any system. A 'good' system should enhance it.

Got my copy of box 2 yesterday. In that Superdeluxeedition unboxing video, the guy mentioned some singles or rarities that he felt should have been included on the singles/rarities disks, but I can't remember what they were. Anyone care to say what they think should have been on these disks but were left out? I actually don't care about the 12" remixes, but I can't recall if there are singles or other things (from official releases) that aren't included but should have been. There's also a disk of covers. Overall, it's probably plenty for me, just wondering what's missing. I used to have the 7" vinyl singles box but sold it off long ago.

Another thing - apparently Fish People released a reissue of Hounds of Love a ways back (I'd forgotten about that), and Kate replaced the original album version of The Big Sky with the 12" remix edition, and this is what's in the box set (though I guess remastered again?). As the Superdeluxeedition guy said, that's kind of disappointing, though I certainly don't remember what that 12" version sounds like. (Yet, I see the Meteorological Mix is on the remix CD, so maybe the guy is wrong and the Hounds of Love CD in the box has the original mix?).
    Last edited by JKL2000; 1 Week Ago at 05:07 PM.

That was my gateway album as well. Saw a copy at my local fye and listened to some samples with the headphone station they had there (this was some time in 2006). "Suspended In Gaffa" is one of my very favorites. I was blown away by that CD.

Got my copy of box 2 yesterday. In that Superdeluxeedition unboxing video, the guy mentioned some singles or rarities that he felt should have been included on the singles/rarities disks, but I can't remember what they were. Anyone care to say what they think should have been on these disks but were left out? I actually don't care about the 12" remixes, but I can't recall if there are singles or other things (from official releases) that aren't included but should have been. There's also a disk of covers. Overall, it's probably plenty for me, just wondering what's missing. I used to have the 7" vinyl singles box but sold it off long ago.

Another thing - apparently Fish People released a reissue of Hounds of Love a ways back (I'd forgotten about that), and Kate replaced the original album version of The Big Sky with the 12" remix edition, and this is what's in the box set (though I guess remastered again?). As the Superdeluxeedition guy said, that's kind of disappointing, though I certainly don't remember what that 12" version sounds like. (Yet, I see the Meteorological Mix is on the remix CD, so maybe the guy is wrong and the Hounds of Love CD in the box has the original mix?).
    the big sky is the 7" mix on the album now. so the album mix is missing.

the main things missing are some bonus tracks from this woman's work box set: The Empty Bullring, Not This Time, Ken. as well as the live EP. I don't own that boxset so can't speak to those tracks essentialness or not but the live EP is fairly enjoyable not too hard to track down on vinyl if you need it though.

then it is missing more recent remixes of red shoes tracks from their respective singles but not a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    the big sky is the 7" mix on the album now. so the album mix is missing.

the main things missing are some bonus tracks from this woman's work box set: The Empty Bullring, Not This Time, Ken. as well as the live EP. I don't own that boxset so can't speak to those tracks essentialness or not but the live EP is fairly enjoyable not too hard to track down on vinyl if you need it though.

then it is missing more recent remixes of red shoes tracks from their respective singles but not a huge loss.
    Hmm, thanks! Most of that I've heard but don't care about too much. Including the live EP certainly would have made sense - I forgot about that. I know I listened to The Empty Bullring and Ken, but don't even remember what they were like (Ken was from a movie soundtrack, wasn't it?). Not This Time I don't recall, but probably heard it.

Well, there are nits to pick, but I'm glad to have these sets despite them.

Not This Time is a pretty good tune
    Ken is not
    I have not heard The Empty Bullring
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Not This Time is a pretty good tune
    Ken is not
    I have not heard The Empty Bullring
    Now I'm thinking Ken was a b-side from one of the Sensual World singles. Yeah, I remember it as as being very forgettable.