Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar Bets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bar Bets

So, it's all about the best questions one can get a free beer from. No Googling allowed.

Simple rules, eh?

There are two guys in the baseball Hall of Fame that had nothing to do with baseball. Never players, managers, owners, commissioners nor the guy throwing red hots. Not groundskeepers, announcers, anything like that.

It always stumps everybody, even the baseball guys. Have fun.

Wonder what you guys have bet at a bar. Everybody has some sort of trivia that will win a bet.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    So, it's all about the best questions one can get a free beer from. No Googling allowed.

Simple rules, eh?

There are two guys in the baseball Hall of Fame that had nothing to do with baseball. Never players, managers, owners, commissioners nor the guy throwing red hots. Not groundskeepers, announcers, anything like that.

It always stumps everybody, even the baseball guys. Have fun.
    Is this a trick question? Do you mean the physical structure (which could then make any of the workers eligible answers) or actual inductees (which is implied as the normal meaning of the phrase "in the hall of fame?" pertains to baseball personnel?

I have a trick pool shot that I've won a bet or two on, but since anybody claiming the ability to make a trick pool shot is likely going to make it, most people who aren't idiots don't take the bet.

Does Abner Doubleday qualify as one?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Bud Abbott & Lou Costello

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They're not in the HOF, unless the lame "bar trivia" device of misrepresenting the question was deployed, in which they're as much "in the HOF" as the ticket collector and soda vendor (see my earlier post).

Actual trivia enthusiasts groan inwardly at these kinds of things all time, as it's the same lame device repeated across example after example by people who think that they are clever.

"Who's on First" wasn't even their act. That was an old Vaudeville routine.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Man I was wondering about that stat as it didn't make sense. I totally missed what SVP was saying and I wen't through it twice to make sense of it.

I got some of right at least.

No one I have ever asked this question to ever has come up with it. Good call.

It's also funny to watch them try and figure it out then after a few minutes they will always ask for a clue and there's really nothing that I can give them. Anything I say would give it away. Then when I do reveal the answer they always have a V8 moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    No one I have ever asked this question to ever has come up with it. Good call.

It's also funny to watch them try and figure it out then after a few minutes they will always ask for a clue and there's really nothing that I can give them. Anything I say would give it away. Then when I do reveal the answer they always have a V8 moment.
    So it was a garbage question. Abbott and Costello are NOT in the Hall of Fame. Their skit is one of the many props/memorabilia in the HOF. Just like the soda vendor and all the people visiting.

Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    So it was a garbage question. Abbott and Costello are NOT in the Hall of Fame. Their skit is one of the many props/memorabilia in the HOF. Just like the soda vendor and all the people visiting.

Stupid.
    Jeez, dude. Uncalled for.

They're fans, tourists, using the men's room, etc.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

If not Abner and someone else who helped introduce the sport, I would guess they're politicians.

Abbot and Costello technically are in the HOF but weren't inducted. I had thought that they were inducted way back when but it seems not. The story is really cool and is here at this linky.

https://baseballhall.org/discover/sh.../whos-on-first

I was just recently reading the booklet from the Universal Abbott & Costello box set, which is why I was able to answer this question. But the booklet states: "'Who's on First?' was inducted into the National Baseball HOF in 1956..." But in another place in the booklet it seems to imply that they themselves were inducted into the Baseball HOF. Whatever - I care less about the Baseball HOF than about the R&R HOF.

It also says Abbott & Costello copyrighted the skit in 1944 as the "Abbott & Costello Baseball Routine." Ronmac, try not to lose it!

I'm disappointed to hear that A&C didn't originate the Who's on First routine if that is true about it being an old vaudeville one. Always thought that was their crowning comedy moment.

I was just recently reading the booklet from the Universal Abbott & Costello box set, which is why I was able to answer this question. But the booklet states: "'Who's on First?' was inducted into the National Baseball HOF in 1956..." But in another place in the booklet it seems to imply that they themselves were inducted into the Baseball HOF. Whatever - I care less about the Baseball HOF than about the R&R HOF.

It also says Abbott & Costello copyrighted the skit in 1944 as the "Abbott & Costello Baseball Routine." Ronmac, try not to lose it!
    Nothing to lose here. Even if they copyrighted it, it's only their version. I suspect the basic routine is in the public domain and anyone can copyright their interpretation of it.

Of course, they mastered it.

They did a similar thing with the Susquehanna Hat Company Routine, which was just like the Three Stooges' Niagara Falls routine, which was just like others that preceded it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm disappointed to hear that A&C didn't originate the Who's on First routine if that is true about it being an old vaudeville one. Always thought that was their crowning comedy moment.
    It's true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_on_First%3F

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Shakespeare didn't originate "Hamlet." Just saying...

Yeah, but did Shakespeare actually exist.

Bloody hell I love thread drift.

OK, here's one for you, Loony-me-lad.

The following people have something in common, which nobody else in the history of the world has in common with them. What is it? (No fair Googling.)

- Henry Kissinger
    - Bob Hope
    - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    - Whoopi Goldberg
    - Nelson Mandella
    - Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    - Pope John Paul II
    - Jesse Jackson
    - Pope Francis
    - Robin Roberts
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

The following people have something in common, which nobody else in the history of the world has in common with them. What is it? (No fair Googling.)

- Henry Kissinger
    - Bob Hope
    - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    - Whoopi Goldberg
    - Nelson Mandella
    - Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    - Pope John Paul II
    - Jesse Jackson
    - Pope Francis
    - Robin Roberts
    Interesting. I just want to clarify, no one who isn't a celebrity or well-known personage has the same thing in common? The question certainly states that, just checking. It's not helping me that I have no idea who Robin Roberts is...

- Henry Kissinger
    - Bob Hope
    - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    - Whoopi Goldberg
    - Nelson Mandella
    - Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    - Pope John Paul II
    - Jesse Jackson
    - Pope Francis
    - Robin Roberts
    Throwing the first ball at Veteran's Stadium?

- Henry Kissinger
    - Bob Hope
    - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    - Whoopi Goldberg
    - Nelson Mandella
    - Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    - Pope John Paul II
    - Jesse Jackson
    - Pope Francis
    - Robin Roberts
    I was going to suggest they were all war criminals, but the notion falls short once you get to the second name.

- Henry Kissinger
    - Bob Hope
    - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    - Whoopi Goldberg
    - Nelson Mandella
    - Jackie Joyner-Kersee
    - Pope John Paul II
    - Jesse Jackson
    - Pope Francis
    - Robin Roberts
    They're all in this list.

It might not be the answer you're looking for, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They're all in this list.

It might not be the answer you're looking for, but it's true.

Interesting. I just want to clarify, no one who isn't a celebrity or well-known personage has the same thing in common? The question certainly states that, just checking. It's not helping me that I have no idea who Robin Roberts is...
    He's a legendary Phillies pitcher.