Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tull Binge

Tull Binge

It's autumn....sure why not? Been hitting virtually everything except Rock Island and Catfish. Ian's vocals were so damn GREAT in his glory days. Something I have really been noticing this time around as well is that his background overdubs were stellar as well, especially on albums like Wood, Horses, Broadsword, etc. Long live The Tull.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Autumn's the time for Songs From The Wood and The Broadsword And The Beast, yep!

Completely agree - I always reach for Tull in mass quantities when autumn is finally upon us. I also agree about Ian's backing vox, he was quite good at double tracking his own harmonies, always sounded fantastic to my ears!

BTW I happen to really like Rock Island.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok, I'm on board! Now playing: Heavy Horses (SW Remix)

More of a Summer album but it was at my elbow...

Me too, I think it's chalk full of classic Tull flavors. Sometimes I like it more than (hold your ears) Crest Of A Knave.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

BTW I happen to really like Rock Island.

I'm game. Heavy Horses it is.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I love his guitar tone
    Amazing how it sounds especially live

Love the Tull too!
    Rainy night here in Costa Rica as for the whole weekend ... np A Passion Play !.
    This is the “normal” cd version :-)

Pura vida!!.

Picked up a copy of Minstrel original Chrysalis vinyl at a store last week. One of the Tull albums I can still listen to, and never loved the sound of the RM CD. The vinyl kind of sucks! I guess the stories about this album just not sounding very good from the start weren't bunk.

Too bad. I was hoping for a special "vinyl-y goodness" to come from songs like Cold Wind and Black Satin Dancer, but no dice. Just kind of muddy and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Autumn's the time for Songs From The Wood and The Broadsword And The Beast, yep!
    I think 'Songs From The Wood' is a spring album. 'Heavy Horses' is late summer, shading to autumnal. And 'Stormwatch' is for winter.

Some fantastic tunes (both released and previously unreleased until recently):

Velvet Green - a masterpiece
    Requiem - One of my fav Tull tunes, pulls at my heartstrings, sort of difficult to listen to
    Weathercock - Great late fall tune
    Old Aces Die Hard - So good, its insane it wasn't ever used. The instrumental break in the middle is downright brilliant
    Strip Cartoon - Love this
    Acres Wild - Great one, amazing bass line, mandolin, vocals, Isle of SKYE
    Summerday Sands - Another unused gem
    Living in These Hard Times - both versions great (but I do prefer version 1)
    Mayhem Maybe - The instrumental work on guitars, mados, etc on this tune is truly exceptional, I would love to hear this w/o vocals just to hear the instrunts, what a tune!
    Look into the Sun - gorgeous
    Law of the Bungle part II - Love this
    Look at the Animals - ditto
    Part of the Machine - brilliant middle section workout
    Fallen on Hard Times - great vocals on this, mando is great
    The Third Hoorah - ANOTHER incredible instrumental middle section, bagpipes!

That's all for now. Cheerio.....

For me Tull is for all seasons and weathers. Tull is for eternity.

Was just listening to Aqualung when I was on the plane back home. Excellent album.
    I can find stuff to like on ANY tull album, even catfish and rock island.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    For me Tull is for all seasons and weathers. Tull is for eternity.

Was just listening to Aqualung when I was on the plane back home. Excellent album.
    I can find stuff to like on ANY tull album, even catfish and rock island.
    BINGO. Right on man.

JT seldom gets ignored in my world, how convenient to have been reading this thread on my Kindle fire HD, and happen to have Stormwatch, Heavy Horses, and Songs from the Wood to delve into. It's such sincere music, Stormwatch also has some gems on it��

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I haven't played my vinyl copy in a while but I revisited that recently having picked up a used CD for $2 . Some of the songs are stale from radio over play over the years. But My God and especially Wind-Up are the two I enjoyed the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I haven't played my vinyl copy in a while but I revisited that recently having picked up a used CD for $2 . Some of the songs are stale from radio over play over the years. But My God and especially Wind-Up are the two I enjoyed the most.
    Two of my favourite Tull songs of all time. Particularly the 1970 studio demo of My God. I wish Wind Up wasn't so quiet in the first half though. I had hoped the Wilson remix would balance that a bit, but it's still too low for my tastes. Love the song though, I'm a real sucker for verses that repeat in a different tempo/style ("When I was young, and they packed me off to school...")
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Pulling out Songs From the Wood and mourning the fact that I was too late to snare a copy of the Country Set box...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Are they continuing on with the 40th Anniversary Editions? I'm a long time fan of Stormwatch, but I didn't see anything on the website alluding to a re-issue next year. And just by coincidence it'll be 40 years since I purchased my first vinyl copy in 1979. Something On The Move is the only tune I'm not crazy about, but I love the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Are they continuing on with the 40th Anniversary Editions? I'm a long time fan of Stormwatch, but I didn't see anything on the website alluding to a re-issue next year. And just by coincidence it'll be 40 years since I purchased my first vinyl copy in 1979. Something On The Move is the only tune I'm not crazy about, but I love the rest.
    Yes, Stormwatch will be out next year, and is the last one S. Wilson will do. After that, I'm not sure what will happen with the remainder of the catalogue.

Thanks for the info! I passed on the last couple, but I'm interested to see what this one will include. Haven't listened to any Tull in a while. Been on a Kinks, and Kevin Ayers kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I love his guitar tone
    Amazing how it sounds especially live
    Ian's acoustic? He is a master player imo. His style is very original, a beautiful hybrid of arpeggiated riffs and straight strumming, but in a way that is instantly recognizable as his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Picked up a copy of Minstrel original Chrysalis vinyl at a store last week. One of the Tull albums I can still listen to, and never loved the sound of the RM CD. The vinyl kind of sucks! I guess the stories about this album just not sounding very good from the start weren't bunk.

Too bad. I was hoping for a special "vinyl-y goodness" to come from songs like Cold Wind and Black Satin Dancer, but no dice. Just kind of muddy and flat.
    IMO it is the worst sounding album of the 70's, but an amazing album nonetheless. The SW gives it more life, sparkle, and slightly beefed-up low end (bass guitar, lower end Hammond, and drums) but its still lacking imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Pulling out Songs From the Wood and mourning the fact that I was too late to snare a copy of the Country Set box...
    Gone already?

Yep. A very popular title in their catalogue, and this set has some of the best extras.

cd4.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yep. A very popular title in their catalogue, and this set has some of the best extras.

cd4.JPG
    that's nuts think I got one used maybe 6 months ago for around 30 bucks.

glad I just got the heavy horses set for my birthday, now I am only missing this was and thick as a brick.

not a huge Jetrho Tull fan but have enjoyed getting into them over the course of these reissues fantastic sets and a great way for a newcomer like myself and presumably for the longtime fan aswell.

you'd think they would see this sort of thing and make more copies.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ian's acoustic? He is a master player imo. His style is very original, a beautiful hybrid of arpeggiated riffs and straight strumming, but in a way that is instantly recognizable as his own.
    Makes it look so easy, doesn't he? I like watching the '77 Capitol Centre show with the string of acoustic numbers opening the show.

Dusted off my copy of Thick as a Brick a few weeks ago, and I think this is my favorite Tull album now. 10 years ago I would have said that A Passion Play was my fave, but TaaB has definitely overtaken it for me.

There's still quite a few albums of theirs that I have to get though. Never listened to Heavy Horses, for example...

Totally agreed about their sound fitting in with autumn though.