Thread: Michael Mantler - Something There

Michael Mantler - Something There

Recently revisited this gem and was blown away how great this sounds
    Parts of this reminded me of Art Zoyd with Jean Pierre Soarez
    I couldn't find any clips to post so just take my word this is fantastic
    Any fans ?
    Here we find Mantler's quintet and, of all things, the strings of the London Symphony Orchestra. In a six-part suite inspired by Samuel Beckett's poem "Something There",
    Mike Stern was guitarist with Miles Davis’s band when he collaborated with Mantler on “Something There” in 1982, which also featured the London Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Mike Gibbs, and the Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason on drums.
    Mantler and his friends juxtapose solo and ensemble gestures against the astringent yet sonorous strings, skillfully arranged by Michael Gibbs from Mantler's sketches.The contrasts, sometimes bitter, sometimes sweet are poignantly dramatic. Eerie, perhaps even cataclysmic, it's an eruption of both fire and ice
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 09-26-2018 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Recently revisited this gem and was blown away how great this sounds
    Parts of this reminded me of Art Zoyd with Jean Pierre Soarez
    I couldn't find any clips to post so just take my word this is fantastic
    Any fans ?
    Here we find Mantler's quintet and, of all things, the strings of the London Symphony Orchestra. In a six-part suite inspired by Samuel Beckett's poem "Something There",
    Mike Stern was guitarist with Miles Davis’s band when he collaborated with Mantler on “Something There” in 1982, which also featured the London Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Mike Gibbs, and the Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason on drums.
    Mantler and his friends juxtapose solo and ensemble gestures against the astringent yet sonorous strings, skillfully arranged by Michael Gibbs from Mantler's sketches.The contrasts, sometimes bitter, sometimes sweet are poignantly dramatic. Eerie, perhaps even cataclysmic, it's an eruption of both fire and ice
    Got into Mantler in the 1990's (along with Carla Bley, Jazz Composers Orchestra, etc.,)

This is also one of my favorite Mantler albums. The Beckett settings are unique, Gibbs has a great ear for large group/ small group dynamics ( he arranged the London Symphony on the last couple Mahavishnu Orchestra albums of the 1970's as well), great shading and contrasts all 'round. Stern was never my favorite guitarist in this idiom (in particular I am not fond of his tone), but he plays very well here. Even Nick sounds engaged!
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 09-26-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Big fan of this one. Wish there was more like it!

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I have have lots of love for some Michael Manter albums. This one I haven't heard before. Will listen to it from Spotify later today.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Yes!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.