Thread: Fish - A Parley With Angels

Fish - A Parley With Angels

Downloaded from Amazon...

Over thirty minutes of new music from the Big Man from his upcoming swan song due next year.

Didn't care for the pre-release track "Man With A Stick" upon the first few listens. Still not a favorite but the "I Can't Dance" Genesis vibe has started to win me over and I can live with it.

The other two tracks are stellar. I'm sure there is some sentimentally involved as a long time fan and knowing the end is near, but I welcomed the more long form style for both "Waverly Steps" and "Little Man What Now." Although in no way musically similar, the dark tone of the latter (lyrically) brought back memories of the Clutching record he's currently touring behind.

Even diehards seem to admit that the Fish solo discography is tricky to navigate but I'm happy to report that the quality of the new tracks and the selection of live tunes included (not the usual suspects) make this a satisfying purchase.

If anyone's on the fence I'd say you won't be disappointed.

If anyone thinks this is a swansong, I'd say wait for the phoenix. (Which doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it.)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Received my copy yesterday, so had a first listen today. I'd listened to Man with a Stick once on Spotify already. I think it all sounds very good. MwaS might turn out to be one of the shorter, less interesting songs, but at 6 min+, it has a nice, interesting sound I think. A little lighter than the rest. The other two longs tracks are both great, with some really nice soloing.

One thing, and I know I read about this on one of Fish's Facebook pages, but I'll be damned if I can find it now - the two long tracks are in the opposite order of what the sleeve says. I can't remember how Fish explained that one. If anyone can find it, please repost it here if possible. That's what I hate about Facebook, it's very hard to find something again, and it seems like what you see is very random.

Not to be confused with his concept album about joining a biker gang, A Harley with Angels.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Mister Triscuits, you always make me laugh, I think you're punny.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Received my copy yesterday, so had a first listen today. I'd listened to Man with a Stick once on Spotify already. I think it all sounds very good. MwaS might turn out to be one of the shorter, less interesting songs, but at 6 min+, it has a nice, interesting sound I think. A little lighter than the rest. The other two longs tracks are both great, with some really nice soloing.

One thing, and I know I read about this on one of Fish's Facebook pages, but I'll be damned if I can find it now - the two long tracks are in the opposite order of what the sleeve says. I can't remember how Fish explained that one. If anyone can find it, please repost it here if possible. That's what I hate about Facebook, it's very hard to find something again, and it seems like what you see is very random.
    It was on his website I thought. I remember reading the reverse order too as artwork had to go before running order picked.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Weakest of the bunch but the rest of the songs more than make up for it.

Fish is live right now playing back some tracks from the new album:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...f_t=live_video