Thread: The Muffins or Muffin vs Muffin (the ultimate Fight)

The Muffins or Muffin vs Muffin (the ultimate Fight)

OK...

***PRESENTATION

"The Muffins" is a band formed in 1973 in Washington DC, USA - Disbanded in 1981 - Reformed in 1998 and broke up in 2016.

for the people that don't know them... their first album is so gooood "mix of Canterbury progressive, jazz-rock, improvisational elements..." calls "Manna / Mirage"

but maybe for the firs timers the "open city" album it's a little more digestible...

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/open-city

HTML Code:
    <iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=593575225/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/open-city">Open City by The Muffins</a></iframe>

And here you can listen more Muffins albums...

http://www.cuneiformrecords.com/bandshtml/muffins.html

*** THE ACTUAL BROKE UP

So... the actual broke up give birth 2 bands, 2 separate albums, 2 web pages, 2 etc...

Band ; Album
    1. Manna/Mirage; Blue Dogs
    2. 4S'D; Man or Muffin
    (4s'd = Sears + Scott + Swann + Stanley)

The conflict in they words...

4s'd:

"In March of 2015, a rift in the time space continuum
    tore asunder the band known as 'The Muffins'. The music
    they were working on was cast apart and then reformed into two
    separate entities. One became a dog (a blue one to be precise). The
    other hid in the deep dark forest, grew pointy ears and thin little
    legs, pondering what it had become... In time, this 'thing' came
    to understand that it was neither Man or Muffin. It was
    something old, something new, often happy,
    occasionally blue and at long last
    c o m p l e t e."
    4S'D

from
    http://www.4sd.biz/home.html

Manna / Mirage:

"So “Blue Dogs” started out as half of a big band album that The Muffins were working on, but due to disagreements concerning post production work and the feeling that the tunes weren't all blending together, I decided to pull my contributions and put out a separate album".
    Dave Newhouse

from
    http://www.mannamirage.com/blue-dogs/

"As time went by and I saw Dave's explanation of why The Muffins disbanded in different public web sites, I let Dave know that his explanation of the band breakup being about production differences was not in-line with my experience, I let Dave know that I stopped my association with him because of his unilateral decision to terminate the Muffins Big Band project. Dave is a good friend and I felt that ending the Reunion Phase of The Muffins musical endeavors had to come about to preserve what was left of the friendship. I have held my tongue about this until now, but truth will out, so here, I have posted my reasons for The Muffins end."
    Thomas Scott

from
    http://www.4sd.biz/Thomas-F-Scott-Bio.html

*** THE ALBUMS

I don't find the full albums on youtuve but I put what I found

1. Manna/Mirage; Blue Dogs

Rovian Cue

Blind eye
    Last edited by guillerpol; 10-10-2018 at 09:06 PM.

2. 4S'D; Man or Muffin

Aftermath

Sophie's Adventure

*** NO CONCLUSIONS ONLY QUESTIONS

2 bands are better than The Muffins band?
    or
    1 album is best than the other?
    or
    witch album sounds more Muffin?
    or

What do you think?

Some people like cupcakes better. I, for one, care less for them.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

How sad.

This pirate video is no longer available.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I got this from BandCamp. A little to much jazz honkin' for me.
    City.jpg

Their show at NEARFest made me a fan.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

The Muffins were so great when they played ProgDay in 2001 that they were invited back in 2002. There was a survey in 2001 that asked the question, "What bands that have played ProgDay would you like to see repeated?" Attendees could list any bands that had played, but the overwhelming majority of the responses listed The Muffins. The next band with multiple votes wasn't even in the ballpark. They're the only band after 2000 to have played the festival consecutive years.

Chronometers, Manna/Mirage, 185 and Open Cities are all indispensable in my book. Some of the best "progressive" rock-et-al. America has ever produced. They were at their absolute best (IMO) when succeeding at merging tighter structures with the rabid aggression of (mock) free jazz, as in "Boxed & Crossed", "Antidote to Drydock" and "Not Alone".

I found their two reunion studio records (on Cuneiform) to be far more uneven affairs overall, but still rewarding - and actually containing some of their very finest individual tunes. "East of Diamond" (from Bandwidth), for instance, is stunningly gorgeous but yet intense, and contains one of the most effective background string arrangements I ever heard in a "rock" context.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

like SCROTUM SCISSOR said "Some of the best "progressive" rock-et-al. America has ever produced"... and there are so few of them on de web...

another listenings...

from the album Manna/Mirage ; Monkey With the Golden Eyes

Come What Molten Cloud from the album Chronometers

"Queenside" by The Muffins from the album Open City
    Last edited by guillerpol; 10-10-2018 at 09:13 PM.

and

"Walking the Duck" by The Muffins from the album Bandwidth

"Under Dali's Wing" by The Muffins from the album 185

saludos...

forgete one...

"Writing Blind" by The Muffins from the album Double Negative

^^^^^^^^^^

>>>>>>well... I'm steel looking some of their discs on the web... without luck...

and it's weir... stange... like SCROTUM SCISSOR said "Some of the best "progressive" rock-et-al. America has ever produced"... and there are so few of them on de web...<<<<<<

————————-

Oh, they’re on the web, but you have to pay for them or outright steal them.

Are you complaining about the fact that the musicians and the person who helps said musicians wishes to be paid?

Yeah. Sorry about that...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

As long as they have the good sense to insert fake audience applause into any future live Muffins releases, I'm OK with having 2 different Muffins. Bands, that is. But it works for breakfast too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    As long as they have the good sense to insert fake audience applause into any future live Muffins releases, I'm OK with having 2 different Muffins. Bands, that is. But it works for breakfast too.
    Muffins (lemon poppy seed) vs. Muffins (banana nut).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Steve F.

not complaining... I just saying that I don't have heard all the Muffins music... yet... (and maybe someone wish to shared or trade)

and that debate of the internet free stuff or pirate... I know it's complicate... but since the internet I been listening, reading, knowing... all kind of stuff from many spaces and times... it's great...

before the web it was more complicate and $$$... I remember the magazines of music and the first Mtv, the vinyls from my parents... mi windows to the music world... now the window is wider... I think the internet has hive us the chance to know us better...

I don't feel I'm stealing anything to anyone... I just hear the music and don't gain anything from it... I don't comerse with the other people work... don't sell and don't buy... but I payed for some concerts... I pay movies in the theatre but in my house I just watch them in the web... a few days later...

and I'm agree with you that anyone should live well from the product of his work...

¿it's contradictory my thought?... I don't know... maybe...

saludos

Quote Originally Posted by guillerpol View Post
    not complaining... I just saying that I don't have heard all the Muffins music... yet... (and maybe someone wish to shared or trade)
    and I am just saying that if you want to hear all the Muffins music, that the band and the person who released nearly all of the Muffins music expects you to pay for hearing all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by guillerpol View Post
    I don't feel I'm stealing anything to anyone... I just hear the music and don't gain anything from it... I don't comerse with the other people work... don't sell and don't buy... but I payed for some concerts... I pay movies in the theatre but in my house I just watch them in the web... a few days later...
    The fact that you don't feel you are doing anything wrong when you are actively looking for things where they are posted illegally and complaining about the fact that you can not find them for free, as if someone owes it to you, is exactly the problem.

-------

[and people still want to know why I don't want to talk happily about what I spent 35 years doing and why I am avoiding putting myself in to 'festival situations' because I get people coming up to me when I am minding my own business and trying to enjoy some band on stage, and speaking to me like the above and using me to justify their refusal to pay....ugh.]
    Last edited by Steve F.; 10-08-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

There's a whole lot of people out there who want to be Rolls Royce collectors on a VW budget.

STEVE F.

Well... The ilegals or pirate internet discusion is very bast... but...

say... that I think the Muffins are a IMPORTANT band... (why? thats what a like to reed in this post...) and for that (important thing) their music SHOULD be in the web... in blogs... forums... deez... youtube... etc... and is not there... or it's not ALL there... that's strange thing... to me... and yessss... I'm complaining

but I understand that it's ALL on sale in the web... like many other things...

the problem is that I should think that don't pay for the music it's wrong???
    I should feel bad for listening free music in my cpu???
    the internet should charge for the thing that we hear or watch???

In the web are a struggle in our days:

There are people that are resisting to the idea of paying for everything... his flag is SHARE...
    and
    there are people that wants to charge for the things... their flag the LAW...

not bads and goods... only people...

"""you... expects to pay for hearing all of it."""

you expectation are not the mines

saludos...
    Last edited by guillerpol; 10-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Mother Tongue

I caught up with the later version of The Muffins earlier this year by listening to the tracks available on Bandcamp from the two Cunieform albums, and then Palindrome which is on Spotify. Palindrome didn't do it for me at all, but Bandwidth and Double Negative both had some excellent tracks, and yes dear reader, I bought them. But this thread made me take a look at the 4S'd page and I see there was anothe album called Mother Tongue I wasn't even aware of -it's not on Bandcamp nor Spotify -all I can find is one track on Youtube
    and that sounds nothing like the Muffins I know -its dominated by some pretty spiky guitar playing which makes me wince. I'm hoping this is not typical of the album, but can anyone throw any light on this album, and is it available for download anywhere?
    Last edited by alanterrill; 10-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.

it seems to me that in that mother tongue song ^^^^^^^ they hit directly de string of the piano with something... Is the first I heard of this album...

saludos...