Thread: Keith Emerson - Beyond the Stars

Keith Emerson - Beyond the Stars

It is with great pride and joy that we can announce the release of new music from KEITH EMERSON, performed by Academy of St Martin in the Fields. Directed by Terje Mikkelsen and featuring Rachel Flower and Ethan Emerson.

Keith Emerson Beyond the Stars is made possible by musical colleagues and family - in eternal gratitude and respect for the musical legacy of Keith Emerson. The album is released by the Norwegian company Grappa Musikkforlag on the label Simax Classics.

https://keithemerson.no

KEITH EMERSON: Toccata con Fuoco · Beyond the Stars · Glorietta Pass · The Dreamer · After All of This · AARON COPLAND: Fanfare for the Common Man (adapted by Keith Emerson) · ALBERTO GINASTERA: Malambo · MARC BONILLA: The Mourning Sun · Walking Distance

Beyond the Stars is a project dedicated to the epic orchestral music of Keith Emerson – the composer. The album includes new works by Keith Emerson, performed by the one and only Academy of St Martin in the Fields under the direction of Terje Mikkelsen.

Keyboard phenomenon Rachel Flowers features as piano soloist in a ferocious reading of ’Toccata con Fuoco’ from the Piano Concerto. A special contribution comes from Keith’s grandson – 13-year old Ethan Emerson – in the beautiful ’The Dreamer’ for piano and strings.

Side A of the album was recorded at Abbey Road Studio No. 1, in eternal gratitude and respect for the musical legacy of Keith Emerson.

The product will be ship-ready by early December 2018.
    Last edited by rminsk; 09-20-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Very nice

Thanks for the info! Ordered!

The Academy of St Martin in the Fields? What's next -- the Berliner Philharmoniker plays Tarkus?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    That cover photo looks like it from NEARfest.
    Chad

I imagine that Keith would have been really proud of this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I imagine that Keith would have been really proud of this.
    I had spoke to Keith years ago and he told me that his piano concerto was the piece of music he was the most proud of. I’m surprised he didn’t write more music for orchestra. Unless we just don’t know about it. This is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused as to what the new pieces are on this LP. I assume that "Beyond the Stars" is indeed new? What about "Glorietta Pass"? Is it the same piece as on his Christmas album? I hope that there's a version released that's playable on late-20th century music reproduction devices.

This looks good, but what ever happened to the Tribute Concert DVD? Was it ever released?
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    This looks good, but what ever happened to the Tribute Concert DVD? Was it ever released?
    It has not been released yet. My guess it is tied up in some legal something.

Does anyone know if this will be released in the U.S. Also, will it be released on CD or at least a digital download?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Does anyone know if this will be released in the U.S. Also, will it be released on CD or at least a digital download?
    Yeah, really, I was all set to order it and then realized the only options were vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Was wondering that myself. Carl's is out and it is very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Yeah, really, I was all set to order it and then realized the only options were vinyl.
    Major bummer.

Well, I asked about a CD or download version on the website and this is the response I got:

"There are no plans for a digital version of Beyond the Stars."

That sucks. I really don't understand what they're thinking. I mean for $23 I'd happily stick the vinyl in my closet (along with the other vinyl I had to buy to get the super deluxe boxed sets) if they'd at least provide a download or CD along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Well, I asked about a CD or download version on the website and this is the response I got:

"There are no plans for a digital version of Beyond the Stars."

That sucks. I really don't understand what they're thinking.
    Agreed. Sale lost.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

As far as I can see, only the A side tracks are new recordings. Side B consists of the tracks of the "Three Fates Project"-CD that weren't used for the "Tarkus concertante"-vinyl (which was a shortened version of that album)... so actually there is a CD version for these tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Agreed. Sale lost.

Henry
    Vinyl only = one more sale lost.

Quote Originally Posted by skin View Post
    As far as I can see, only the A side tracks are new recordings. Side B consists of the tracks of the "Three Fates Project"-CD that weren't used for the "Tarkus concertante"-vinyl (which was a shortened version of that album)... so actually there is a CD version for these tracks...
    Thanks. That explains some of this.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I asked about CDs on their Facebook page and they replied:

“no CD planned atm. We hope we get enough LPs moving!”

Marc Bonilla just posted on Facebook:
    "Hanging over at CJ Vanston's studio with Maestro Terje Mikkelsen prepping for the CD release of Beyond The Stars - Keith Emerson's new orchestral CD with Terje conducting the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields at Abbey Road."

Quote Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
    Marc Bonilla just posted on Facebook:
    "Hanging over at CJ Vanston's studio with Maestro Terje Mikkelsen prepping for the CD release of Beyond The Stars - Keith Emerson's new orchestral CD with Terje conducting the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields at Abbey Road."
    I'm in.....finally.

In honour of Keith's 75th birthday the CD is now for sale at https://keithemerson.no/products/75t...yond-the-stars. It also has a bonus track of Rachel Flowers and Marc Bonilla recording of 'The Fugue' making 'Endless Enigma' complete.

Keith_Emerson_Beyond_the_Stars_75th_anniversary_edition_CD_900x.jpgKeith_Emerson_Beyond_the_Stars_75th_anniversary_edition_back_cover_900x.jpg
    Last edited by rminsk; 11-02-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
    In honour of Keith's 75th birthday the CD is now for sale at https://keithemerson.no/products/75t...yond-the-stars. It also has a bonus track of Rachel Flowers and Marc Bonilla recording of 'The Fugue' making 'Endless Enigma' complete.

Keith_Emerson_Beyond_the_Stars_75th_anniversary_edition_CD_900x.jpgKeith_Emerson_Beyond_the_Stars_75th_anniversary_edition_back_cover_900x.jpg
    Awesome!