Thread: Ticketmaster Running Its Own Scalping Scheme

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Ticketmaster Running Its Own Scalping Scheme

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is news?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I guess they left the word "still" out of the headline.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Here's another news flash: eyeglass frames are also quite expensive, because Luxottica holds the same kind of monopoly Ticketmaster does. The only difference is Luxottica's is global whereas, Ticketmaster's is local to the U.S.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Whores.

So does just about every professional sports franchise, and its now filtered down to college football and basketball. They use "dynamic pricing" to scalp their own previously fixed price tickets, AND they allow resales because they take a big cut of the resale ticket sales and more fees. On top of that, I now see Stub Hub, who is partnered with MLB in resales, actively encourages potential buyers to bypass my resale ticket offer by suggesting and counterselling, on the same page as my offer, a "BETTER" seat for a bit more money, with a link and picture etc, thus undercutting my offer on their website in the pursuit of more $$!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-20-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Try not to let it destroy your faith in the integrity of the ticket scalping industry.

I buy concert tickets on a regular basis so for the most part know what I am doing, but I seem to know more a more people, who are more casual concert goers, that get sucked into resale tickets and thinking they are the regular priced tickets from the venue (or Ticketmaster). The ticket sellers have made things deceptively complicated for more novice ticket buyers and often they get sucked into paying more for the tickets than they should.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Whores.
    I wonder if people who work for Ticketmaster admit it to people when they're asked where they work? I probably wouldn't.

Last time I tried to buy tickets to a concert that I really wanted to see, I drove an hour to the box office expecting to pay the advertised ticket price. But they tried to charge me 1/3 again over the advertised ticket price. I asked what the enormous amount of extra money was for, and they said it was a ticketmaster fee. I said I don't want to buy the tickets from ticketmaster; I came to the box office to avoid that. They said I have to pay it anyway. I said, "I won't," and left. I have mostly attended only free concerts since then. I guess these venues cater to people with more dollars than sense.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    Here's another news flash: eyeglass frames are also quite expensive, because Luxottica holds the same kind of monopoly Ticketmaster does. The only difference is Luxottica's is global whereas, Ticketmaster's is local to the U.S.
    The U.S. is the corporate crime capital of the world. Crimes no citizen could get away with are carried out with impunity by the corporations who own the Congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger
    On top of that, I now see Stub Hub, who is partnered with MLB in resales, actively encourages potential buyers to bypass my resale ticket offer by suggesting and counterselling, on the same page as my offer, a "BETTER" seat for a bit more money, with a link and picture etc, thus undercutting my offer on their website in the pursuit of more $$!
    Last time I went to a MLB game, it cost $4 for decent seats, plus $1 for parking, about the same as going to a movie cost at the time. Sure, everything costs more now. That's no reason to allow gouging. But skunks can't change their stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Last time I tried to buy tickets to a concert that I really wanted to see, I drove an hour to the box office expecting to pay the advertised ticket price. But they tried to charge me 1/3 again over the advertised ticket price.

Last time I went to a MLB game, it cost $4 for decent seats, plus $1 for parking, about the same as going to a movie cost at the time. Sure, everything costs more now. That's no reason to allow gouging. .
    Most of the venues around my area still don't charge fees if you buy them at the box office which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Rest assured that Ticketbastard operate freely in the UK as well.

"Two tickets for Spiggy Topes and The Turds? That'll be a hundred quid. Oh, and seven pounds fifty for an admin fee. And five pounds for postage."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I buy concert tickets on a regular basis so for the most part know what I am doing, but I seem to know more a more people, who are more casual concert goers, that get sucked into resale tickets and thinking they are the regular priced tickets from the venue (or Ticketmaster). The ticket sellers have made things deceptively complicated for more novice ticket buyers and often they get sucked into paying more for the tickets than they should.
    I got completely frozen out of Radiohead this year because the only ones available were the ridiculously priced resale tickets. I won't pay for those. I mostly go to small gigs in the $15 to $40 range these days.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ticketmaster Denies Running Its Own Scalping Scheme

I haven't seen such fact-free denial since the morning news a few minutes ago.

"The statement described TradeDesk as “Ticketmaster’s professional reseller product"" Pretty much sums up an organized scalping operation.
    Passing off the fiction of enabling people with extra unusable tickets a legit place to sell has failed.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The solution is simple. Stop going to see these dinosaur bands in these cavernous venues and support small bands playing in bars. The type of bands who shlep their own gear and sell their own merch. The bands you can talk to in between sets. Ticketmaster does not exist in that universe. You buy on-line or in person directly from the venue or some local producer who is in it for the music.

I saw a news story about this, involving a Bruno Mars concert. If you are stupid enough to pay money to see Bruno Mars then you deserve to be fleeced...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

'A public relations nightmare': Ticketmaster recruits pros for secret scalper program

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    Stop going to see these dinosaur bands in these cavernous venues and support small bands playing in bars. The type of bands who shlep their own gear and sell their own merch. The bands you can talk to in between sets. Ticketmaster does not exist in that universe. You buy on-line or in person directly from the venue or some local producer who is in it for the music.
    These are the only shows I pay for any more. The last one I remember attending was Tim Berne's Snakeoil. The ticket price was announced, but not paid in advance. Money was collected at the concert, by passing a hat. Great show. Ticketbastard was never mentioned.