Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Suprised Me: Roine Stolt's The Flower King - MANIFESTO OF AN ALCHEMIST, Nov 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Nice!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

This Suprised Me: Roine Stolt's The Flower King - MANIFESTO OF AN ALCHEMIST, Nov 2018

Can't imagine Roine is happy with InsideOut's ad for his new album! :

Last edited by JKL2000; 11-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can't imagine Roine is happy with InsideOut's ad for his new album! :

Oh no!

Well "Ronie" has called new TFK members Mirkko De Maio "Mirko" and Zach Kamins "Zack" so perhaps a little karma here

Maybe it's a campaign to Americanize his name.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Maybe it's a campaign to Americanize his name.
    It's the Jon Anderson influence.

I thought he was going to break 8nto theme from shaft there for a m8nute

Seriously it has the same feel as the flower king

Man am I enjoying this Record! Mr. Stolt can do no wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappyesque View Post
    Man am I enjoying this Record! Mr. Stolt can do no wrong.
    Great to hear - and you are right on there!

I'm still waiting for my copy in the mail, and have so far avoided listening to any clips - I've got this one on the way as well as The Tangent - Proxy - both should be landing in the mailbox any day now. Good times ahead!

Just got through my first listen and YES YES YES!!! This is what we want from Stolt. We don't want other people singing (besides Hasse) his songs. We don't want watered down "art rock." We want The Flower Kings.

And we almost get it here. Fantastic LP. Very happy. Between this and The Tangent 2018 is ending on a high note. So to speak.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Great to hear - and you are right on there!

I'm still waiting for my copy in the mail, and have so far avoided listening to any clips - I've got this one on the way as well as The Tangent - Proxy - both should be landing in the mailbox any day now. Good times ahead!
    You will be very happy with both!!!
    The Prog Corner

Look at this grueling schedule!

30th November – Cosmopolite, Oslo, Norway
    1st December – Kulturhuset Studion, Stockholm, Sweden
    2nd December – KB, Malmo, Sweden
    4th December – Zeche, Bochum, Germany
    5th December – Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
    6th December – La Machine, Paris, France
    7th December – De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands
    8th December – Hedon, Zwolle, Netherlands
    9th December – Islington Assembly Hall, London, UK
    10th December – Academy Club, Manchester, UK
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

For whomever is interested, the album is available in 24/96 Hi-Res from HDTracks. The vinyl was out of stock, so I jumped at this download.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Gave it a listen in its entirety today, but will need a few more listens to get some of the subtleties. That said, a brief hot take.

The epic "High Road" is probably the most traditionally Flower Kings track here. It has a theme which recapitulates throughout, guitar solos as expected and the singing/lyrics are what a fan is looking for. Although there are flashes of The Flower Kings on other songs, some more than others, it came across as more of a Stolt solo album that leans FK. There are a few more tracks that are jams than I would expect on a single album - some of them might have ended up as bonus tracks rather than as part of the sequence of songs. I really think Tomas Bodin is sorely missed here. I've said it a hundred times, but his compositions and arrangements are a big part of the Flower Kings sound.

I like it, don't love it - yet. After three more listens, I might love it. Banks of Eden took a while for me to really appreciate. We'll see.
    Last edited by Splicer; 11-24-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    For whomever is interested, the album is available in 24/96 Hi-Res from HDTracks. The vinyl was out of stock, so I jumped at this download.
    ...and I must say it sounds great in Hi Rez.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Just got through my first listen and YES YES YES!!! This is what we want from Stolt. We don't want other people singing (besides Hasse) his songs. We don't want watered down "art rock." We want The Flower Kings.

And we almost get it here. Fantastic LP. Very happy. Between this and The Tangent 2018 is ending on a high note. So to speak.
    Could not agree more about these 2 records. My Top 10 list of 2018 looked like it was going to be a "Top 8" list until these appeared. 2018 ends with a bang!

Still waiting on my vinyl copy to arrive, but these early opinions are making me pretty excited.

Both this and the new Tangent album are quite similar in that they have a lot of 'Canterbury' style jazz/rock instrumental passages.

Both are excellent. Not really heard much by the FK before, but saw the vinyl in HMV today so thought I'd give it a go. Enjoying it a lot!

Manifesto seems quite a bit more dense than the normal TFK or Roine Stolt project. Or at least that's my early impression. It seems like there is just more going on in each song, more modulations, etc. I'm liking most of it so far but it seems like it will take a while for all the details to be revealed.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Both this and the new Tangent album are quite similar in that they have a lot of 'Canterbury' style jazz/rock instrumental passages.

Both are excellent. Not really heard much by the FK before, but saw the vinyl in HMV today so thought I'd give it a go. Enjoying it a lot!
    And they both have Jonas Reingold.
    The Prog Corner

Yeah, listened a couple times now. I like it, but I find it lacks a lot of fire and drive that TFK's albums had. Of course, since it's a solo album (Stolt actually plays most of the instruments himself, bass on 3 tracks, drums on one track, and is even the only keys player on a couple tracks, every song is credited to him only), I wasn't expecting it to be FK quality. It does seem like a follow up to the original TFK solo album, with influences from his other solo albums as well (and, obviously, TFK's). Roine is in his mid-60's also, so I don't really expect the kind of driving prog we got on Stardust or Flower Power. Of course, considering his age makes this album a bit more impressive, as it is quite good. I'll need more listens, but right now The High Road and Rio Grande are the standouts for me.

I've had about 5 listens so far. And it really does remind me of The Flower King, Back in the World of Adventures and Hydrophonia era Flower Kings. "Rio Grande" harkens back to that "Theme for a Hero" sound from BITWOA. That song is great! In some ways it even sounds like Proto-Flower Kings. As if it was written and recorded even before the first album; before they had fully developed their symphonic style. Some of the songs may date back that long actually.

The middle stretch of songs from "High Road" to "Six Thirty Wake-Up" are my favorites so far.

None of the new album is played on the current tour, which is 100% retro-oriented. Last night in Paris, they played only 4 songs - "Last Minute On Earth" / "What If God Is Alone", "The Truth Will Set You Free", "There Is More To This World" and "Stardust We Are".
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    None of the new album is played on the current tour, which is 100% retro-oriented. Last night in Paris, they played only 4 songs - "Last Minute On Earth" / "What If God Is Alone", "The Truth Will Set You Free", "There Is More To This World" and "Stardust We Are".
    Did they get equal time as Spock's? I saw pictures that showed both bands on stage for an encore as well.