Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Shakes?

Alabama Shakes?

These guys were on Saturday Night Live tonight and I kind of dug them. I know they were nominated for some Grammy's this year (I think), but know nothing else about them. Any fans / recomdendations?

Steve Sly

I was thinking about doing what you just did (the thread) after seeing them on SNL. The singer's been compared to Janis (not entirely unfair) and plays a pretty good Bonnie Raitt-style guitar as well. I just may buy their album, since I think I dug them more than you did.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Brittany Howard does indeed have a great voice in the Janis style. The disc has an older vibe to it and nice and short so it doesn't wear out it's welcome.

That chick is kind of scary looking, but she can sing! I caught the last tune on SNL last night. I was wishing that she'd tune her low E string, but I guess that's a curse that comes with being a musician.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    These guys were on Saturday Night Live tonight and I kind of dug them.
    I was going to watch them on SNL, until I discovered they were on Austin City Limits at the same time and there I wouldn't have to sit through hours of lame comedy and commercials to see the band for 3 minutes. In addition to Alabama Shakes, ACL had Gary Clark, Jr. A full hour of good new music. See it if you can.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

meimjustalawnmower
    Not bad, but "hipster blues" nonetheless. Disciples of R.L. Burnside. Lump 'em in with Black Keys, Jon Spencer and the like. Still one of the better musical guests on SNL in a while.

I am sold on them. Yeah, I guess you could call it hipster blues but there's plenty of authenticity to their performance. During one of Amazon's $5 MP3 album sales I got this and it was a great investment.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I was going to watch them on SNL, until I discovered they were on Austin City Limits at the same time and there I wouldn't have to sit through hours of lame comedy and commercials to see the band for 3 minutes. In addition to Alabama Shakes, ACL had Gary Clark, Jr. A full hour of good new music. See it if you can.
    I knew we always got ACL on PBS a day late so I checked. Now DVRd". Thanks!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I knew we always got ACL on PBS a day late so I checked. Now DVRd". Thanks!
    You're very welcome.

Not bad, but "hipster blues" nonetheless.
    Yeah, I guess you could call it hipster blues but there's plenty of authenticity to their performance.
    I have yet to meet a hipster. I don't know their taste in music, or if any group of people has a single taste in music or anything else. I like Alabama Shakes for some of the same reasons I like Black Country Communion. I hear a bit of '60s and '70s style rock and r & b in their music, but not so much that it can be considered derivative. To me, they seem pretty refreshing, especially compared to a lot of modern bands out there.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Yeah, my DVR is set to record ACL because I wanted to check out Gary Clark, Jr. Catching Alabama Shakes is a bonus.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

If you care to read more, this is from the "About" section of their site. "The story of the Alabama Shakes begins in a high school psychology class in Athens, Alabama. Brittany Howard, who had started playing guitar a few years earlier, approached Zac Cockrell and asked if he wanted to try making music together. “I just knew that he played bass and that he wore shirts with cool bands on them that nobody had heard of,” says Howard.

They started to meet up after school and write songs sitting on Howard’s floor. “It had that rootsy feel, but there was some out-there stuff,” says Cockrell. “David Bowie-style things, prog-rock, lots of different stuff. We started to come across our own sound a little bit, though it’s evolved a lot since then.

"

I'm mainly surprised that some of you can make it through the current Saturday Night Live! Kudos to you! That show is horrible.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    That show is horrible.
    It's hot and cold. I'll tell you one thing- the DJESUS UNCROSSED thing was freakin' hilarious!

I agree with Tom. It really varies from sketch to sketch, as well as how good the host is at live tv. Christoph Waltz was relatively horrible imo. Most film actors (other than Alec Baldwin & Chris Walken, who have both done theatre), are not used to playing to anything but a camera and are way too stiff (don't bother w/lame jokes). Baldwin & Walken are both hilarious anytime they're on.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Baldwin & Walken are both hilarious anytime they're on.
    Yes. I think it also hinges on how well the cast connects with the host. It's often said that comedy is harder than drama. A select few can pull off both. Other recent great hosts are Justin Timberlake and Martin Short.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I'm mainly surprised that some of you can make it through the current Saturday Night Live! Kudos to you! That show is horrible.
    you must be referring to 2 1/2 Men or reruns of Friends or 90210. those 3 go in the dumpster. This season's SNL got off to a mediocre start but has improved. imo of course. Alabama Shakes was a real breath of fresh air compared to others they've had on in recent times.

I avoid SNL like the cliched plague. Wifey was watching it a couple times recently and I caught a few moments. Just horrible stuff. Maybe I shouldn't keep comparing it to the late 70s original cast. Anyway, I would have liked to have seen the Alabama Shakes, however. Bob Lefsetz has been raving about them over the past year in his newsletter.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^ why would anybody compare the current cast to the original cast? it's different people and a different era. let the new people have their time. or ignore them and watch reruns of your favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    It's hot and cold. I'll tell you one thing- the DJESUS UNCROSSED thing was freakin' hilarious!
    Agreed, great skit for sure. SNL is hot and cold these days, but they do have a talented young cast that will probably develop.

Steve Sly

fwiw, not sure when this interview took place, but it's interesting.

Marty & I are Alabama Shakes fans. I just got her turned on to the Black Keys. We are not hipsters in anyone's opinion.

The Black Keys don't do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    We are not hipsters in anyone's opinion.
    me neither. what's social group do we belong to then? I'll need a list of the rules/regs so I can decide which ones to break.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    what social group do we belong to then? I'll need a list of the rules/regs so I can decide which ones to break.
    Neo-hipsters

Those needing hip replacements soon
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally