Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alabama Shakes?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Based on the fact that they were all friends in high school and some even before, I don't think the rest of the band will meet the same fate as a bunch of guys from SF who hooked up with a singer from Port Arthur, TX in 1965.
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Well, I would tend to agree with you except for the nature of the business as it is now. You look at these "bands" who have a strong presence in a lead singer, and pretty soon it's the Brittany Howard show. If you don't believe me, look at more recent history such as 10,000 Maniacs, etcetera. Her label doesn't give a flyin' fuck about anything but making money, and if they tell her to lose the other guys, it's gonna happen, or she's gonna be back at square one.
    That kind of stuff (keep the singer, dump the band) has been going on for decades; nothing new about it! Kevin Gilbert even jokes about it on his posthumous album, "Shaming of the True."

Though the sentimental side of me would like to see a band like AS that has stuck together since high school ride the fame train all the way to the final stop together, another side of me (that's colder and perhaps more practical) wouldn't consider it a horrible deed if Brittany had to take that ride with a band of players chosen for her. Let's face it, she IS the star; the rest of the band is competent, but no great shakes (pardon the pun).

I felt the same about Janis Joplin and BBatHC (who weren't even nearly as good as the Alabama Shakes guys imo). That band was holding her back (THAT pun was coincidental ) and she really blossomed as an artist after she left them (though unfortunately, she died shortly thereafter). IMO again, of course!
    Last edited by No Pride; 02-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Don't forget Linda Ronstadt started as the lead singer for the Stone Poneys.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Don't forget Linda Ronstadt started as the lead singer for the Stone Poneys.
    I'm jotting that down in my notebook under 'things to not forget' as we speak.

I would LOVE to go to a Bob Dylan show during a tour when AS is opening for him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That kind of stuff (keep the singer, dump the band) has been going on for decades; nothing new about it! Kevin Gilbert even jokes about it on his posthumous album, "Shaming of the True."

Though the sentimental side of me would like to see a band like AS that has stuck together since high school ride the fame train all the way to the final stop together, another side of me (that's colder and perhaps more practical) wouldn't consider it a horrible deed if Brittany had to take that ride with a band of players chosen for her. Let's face it, she IS the star; the rest of the band is competent, but no great shakes (pardon the pun).

I felt the same about Janis Joplin and BBatHC (who weren't even nearly as good as the Alabama Shakes guys imo). That band was holding her back (THAT pun was coincidental ) and she really blossomed as an artist after she left them (though unfortunately, she died shortly thereafter). IMO again, of course!
    I agree with this. I bought Cheap Thrills many months ago, but I quickly got rid of it. Janis was much better by herself, as Pearl proves.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That kind of stuff (keep the singer, dump the band) has been going on for decades
    I believe that in many cases it's more about the label assuming control over the artist. It's easier to do with one person than it is with six. Certainly a band such as Alabama Shakes would not have complete artistic freedom at this early point in their career, especially since it seems obvious that at least their lead singer is being groomed for the next line of rock royalty. You're not gonna get that level of exposure without being told to do everything from how you dress and comb your hair to who's gonna produce your next album.

I'd like to see Howard go a similar route as Ani DeFranco or Trent Reznor, so she has as much control over her career as possible