Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was Fish's high water mark for you?

What was Fish's high water mark for you?

Not asking about songs, or about his tenure with Marillion. Which of Fish's solo albums are his solo pinnacle for you? There's no right or wrong answer, just taking the temperature of the board. For me, it's easily Sunsets On Empire. He has another couple albums that I view as relatively strong, but nothing that approaches this one. (Which isn't a masterpiece in my estimation either, for those who who want to point that out.)

I would also probably go with "Sunsets". I like all of his albums, but some are better than others.

To be honest, most of Fish's solo output hasn't held up well for me. Most of his albums are too long and seem to go off in too many directions, IMO. I'd probably say his best albums are his two most recent ones, Thirteenth Star and Feast of Consequences.

I will say "Sunsets", though "Internal Exile" might be my sentimental favorite.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

13th Star. Don't know why, but that one just all "works" for me.

I'd probably go with Sunsets as well, although I might love Vigil almost as much.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's always been really high for me.

The low points for me being Songs From The Mirror, Suits, and Field Of Crows. The rest of the catalog, especially live albums is pretty much regular rotation stuff for me.

Have to admit that after Field Of Crows, 13th Star and Feast of Consequences really floored me. I had no idea he still had it in him. I hope the last one approaches that.

Other faves are Vigil, Internal Exile and Sunsets On Empire.

The absolute highlight "produced" by Fish:

I really liked 13th Star -- that was a really good album, and I was quite surprised too with it being so late into his career. But a good kind of surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The absolute highlight "produced" by Fish:

His daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I really liked 13th Star -- that was a really good album, and I was quite surprised too with it being so late into his career. But a good kind of surprise!

His daughter?
    Yes, Tara a well known model.

Feast of Consequences
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Yes, Tara a well known model.
    Wow, I never knew! I must live under a rock or something like that.

Another Murder of a Day with Tony Banks. Just a gem of a track.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Another Murder of a Day with Tony Banks. Just a gem of a track.
    That’s a great one! I really like Fish’s performance on it, and then there’s that lovely synth lead that Tony breaks into between the first and second sections of the song.

The eons are closing
    For these ears, the high water mark is Vigil... followed very closely (and some days first) by Sunset....

Anything post Fellini is IMO not worth owning. Going to see him live is still a worthwhile endeavor.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I believe I was gifted 2 Fish cds many years ago. That “Credo” song is a keeper.

His first two albums (Vigil & Internal Exile) are excellent.

When they moved onto land

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That’s a great one! I really like Fish’s performance on it, and then there’s that lovely synth lead that Tony breaks into between the first and second sections of the song.
    Agreed, his vocals and lyrics are really great! And with Tony's more 'creative' side for the music, it was a match I would have liked to see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    For these ears, the high water mark is Vigil... followed very closely (and some days first) by Sunset....

Anything post Fellini is IMO not worth owning. Going to see him live is still a worthwhile endeavor.
    I have found that some of the later albums, that I initially thought were weak, have grown on me over the years, and I like them better today than when they came out.

The eons are closing
    It was never lyric or vocal melody, the issue for me is the strength (lack thereof) of his recent writing collaborators
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Have to agree with those who selected Sunsets...there are individual songs on the earlier albums I like better, but as a cohesive album, Sunset does it for me. As for the later stuff, most of it never really rises beyond "okay", except I do agree about 13th Star...it just isn't as "good" as Sunsets.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Raingods with Zippos perhaps as it has the Plague of Ghosts suite (ft. Steven Wilson).

Love Spices, but I leave them alone in the polluted seas and rivers. But I agree that the fishes in Lake Titicaca must be close to the highwater mark on earth.

================

Script with Marillion and Vigil in solo (though I sorta ousted him from my radar in the later-90's)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.