Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition with new 5.1 mix)

Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition with new 5.1 mix)

Electric Ladyland Deluxe Edition includes a full color, 48-page book containing Jimi’s handwritten lyrics, poem and instructions to his record label, as well as never before published photos from the recording sessions that were shot by Eddie Kramer himself. All contained in a deluxe casemade book with new cover art which is true to Hendrix’s original vision of the album’s cover: a Linda (McCartney) Eastman photograph of the band and children at the statue of Alice In Wonderland in New York’s Central Park.

CD1: the original album, now newly remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog tapes.
    CD2: Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes, which presents 20 never before heard demos and studio outtakes from this period in Hendrix’s career.
    CD3: Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68, part of Experience Hendrix’s Dagger Records official bootleg series. The never before released recording captures the band and the mounting excitement that took place just weeks before the release of Electric Ladyland.
    Blu-ray: includes the acclaimed full-length documentary At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland plus a new 5.1 surround sound mix of the entire original album by Hendrix’s original engineer Eddie Kramer plus the original stereo mixes in uncompressed 24 bit/96 kz high resolution audio.

Tracklist
    [CD1 - Electric Ladyland: The Original Album (Newly Remastered)]
    1. … And the Gods Made Love
    2. Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
    3. Crosstown Traffic
    4. Voodoo Chile
    5. Little Miss Strange
    6. Long Hot Summer Night
    7. Come On (Part I)
    8. Gypsy Eyes
    9. Burning of the Midnight Lamp
    10. Rainy Day, Dream Away
    11. 1983….(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
    12. Moon, Turn the Tides….Gently Gently Away
    13. Still Raining, Still Dreaming
    14. House Burning Down
    15. All Along the Watchtower
    16. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

[CD2 - Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes]
    1. 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
    2. Voodoo Chile
    3. Cherokee Mist
    4. Hear My Train A Comin’
    5. Angel
    6. Gypsy Eyes
    7. Somewhere
    8. Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 1]
    9. Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 3]
    10. Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 4]
    11. Snowballs At My Window
    12. My Friend
    13. At Last…The Beginning
    14. Angel Caterina (1983)
    15. Little Miss Strange
    16. Long Hot Summer Night [Take 1]
    17. Long Hot Summer Night [Take 14]
    18. Rainy Day, Dream Away
    19. Rainy Day Shuffle
    20. 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

[CD3 - Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68]
    1. Introduction
    2. Are You Experienced
    3. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    4. Red House
    5. Foxey Lady
    6. Fire
    7. Hey Joe
    8. Sunshine of Your Love
    9. I Won’t Live Today
    10. Little Wing
    11. Star Spangled Banner
    12. Purple Haze

[Blu-ray]
    1. At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland documentary
    2. Electric Ladyland Uncompressed LPCM Stereo 24b/96k
    3. Electric Ladyland Uncompressed LPCM 5.1 Surround 24b/96k
    4. Electric Ladyland DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround 24b/96k

Due 11/8/2018

Amazon USA
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGPT67F/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon Canada
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GGPT67F/?tag=imwanca-20

Amazon UK
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GGPT67F/?tag=imwan-21

Sounds interesting,
    even so I get a bit fed up of buying again and again the same records for a couple of unreleased tracks and a "definitive" analog remaster.

Nice cover art - as shown on Amazon

31wkuZnHXZL.jpg
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I initially got this album back in the summer of '85, while on a lengthy roadtrip in West-Germany with my dad. I was 14 and really wanted the breasty cover, but seeing as I was travelling with the grump I had to get the other one with no breasts. Not because that asshole disliked breasts, rather quite the opposite; I sort of pretended to be ignorant of breasts as part of my rebellion against him.

Later on, when I turned 19 to start studies and moved into my own tiny place downtown in Bergen, I instantly sold my non-breast rendition and bought the one with breasts on it.

Fantastic, freaky, groovy and still celestial stuff. Nowadays I can even dig the 14-minute dark blues of "Voodoo Chile".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Nice cover art - as shown on Amazon

31wkuZnHXZL.jpg
    Impressive ! Influenced by the White Album ?

Funny, I have used the Linda McCartney photo as cover for the album on my iTunes for a while.
    Last edited by calyx; 09-11-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Will the versions of certain things on that bonus disc be in their original state, or the Frankenstein versions used for those (ahem) 'new albums' of recent years? I didn't hear it but I remember the version of 'Somewhere' on one of those was poorly received.

This album was barely touched live. Notice the setlist of this show features a grand total of one song from the album!

A pity there wasn't a similar set for the debut with the mono mix included.
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-11-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I initially got this album back in the summer of '85, while on a lengthy roadtrip in West-Germany with my dad. I was 14 and really wanted the breasty cover, but seeing as I was travelling with the grump I had to get the other one with no breasts. Not because that asshole disliked breasts, rather quite the opposite; I sort of pretended to be ignorant of breasts as part of my rebellion against him.

Later on, when I turned 19 to start studies and moved into my own tiny place downtown in Bergen, I instantly sold my non-breast rendition and bought the one with breasts on it.

Fantastic, freaky, groovy and still celestial stuff. Nowadays I can even dig the 14-minute dark blues of "Voodoo Chile".
    Bought the album (North Am cover) around 76 and it was instantly my fave Hendrix (and still is today), but I'd only had RUXp before

I instantly loved Voodo Chile.... but had the hardest time with the C-side §1983 and Tide), but nowadays, it's definitely that side that I play more. I actually reach for EL (CD format) for those two tracks alone.

If I'm going to buy this another time, I'd like to at least have the nude cover... Not that it would give me a boner or get me turgid, but because of the statement it made for 1968.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm reading that the live show may be an audience recording.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm reading that the live show may be an audience recording.
    It is. I've had it for many years and it is a great performance. Give it a listen. I assume it's the same source, but this is low bit rate.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/j...1968-09-14.asx

This is very tempting.

I expect the outtakes to be relatively undoctored. I've had many of those for years, too and they need no work.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

In addition to the "naked" cover, it was released in the UK as two single LPs with different covers.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

9. I Won’t Live Today

isn't that supposed to be "I Don't Live Today"?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The remaster will be interesting to hear. Eddie Kramer took some flak for his remasters.

I can't wait to hear the outtakes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    9. I Won’t Live Today

isn't that supposed to be "I Don't Live Today"?
    yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It is. I've had it for many years and it is a great performance. Give it a listen. I assume it's the same source, but this is low bit rate.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/j...1968-09-14.asx

This is very tempting.

I expect the outtakes to be relatively undoctored. I've had many of those for years, too and they need no work.
    I just realized I used the wrong link. Here are the WMA and MP3 links:

http://www.archive.org/serve/jimihen...1968-09-14.wma

http://www.archive.org/serve/jimihen...1968-09-14.mp3

Was a favorite of mine when I was younger. Definitelty my favorite Hendrix. Would have jumped on a box like this 10 years (or so) ago. Shame there's not more live recordings of the album material.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Was a favorite of mine when I was younger. Definitelty my favorite Hendrix. Would have jumped on a box like this 10 years (or so) ago. Shame there's not more live recordings of the album material.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    The only songs I know of him performing live from Electric Ladyland are:

"Come On (Part I)"
    "Burning of the Midnight Lamp"
    "All Along the Watchtower"
    "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)"

In 1976, I had "Voodoo Chile" spelled out in big "Prism" letters under the bumper of my 71 Pinto, and people would constantly ask me what Voodoo Chile (I guess they thought it was like Hormel Chile) was...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    people would constantly ask me what Voodoo Chile (I guess they thought it was like Hormel Chile) was...
    Anything like Voodoo Soup?

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

"Burning of the Midnight Lamp"
    I don't count that one because it was a single even before Axis: Bold As Love was released, and also appeared on the UK Smash Hits before Electric Ladyland was released.

A fair amount of the album would have been difficult to do live because Hendrix was heavily into studio experimentation at this point. But it's surprising that things like 'Gypsy Eyes' and 'Crosstown Traffic' were never played in concert.

I bought 'Electric Ladyland' back in the late 1980s; it was the last piece of vinyl I ever purchased.

I see the original album and the remaster are still on only one disc, which was too small by a couple minutes for the full album's contents, so previous copies were missing parts of one song (possibly on the C-side >> I can see corporate twats axing away some of what they'd see as "noise".
    Has this been remedied to, or do we still lave an amputated version is the later CD version?

Since when has that stopped anyone butchering the sonics when dealing with Hendrix stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    In addition to the "naked" cover, it was released in the UK as two single LPs with different covers.
    I suppose you mean a double disc affair with the nudie artwork and an abridged single-disc affair called Electric Jimi H as below
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...-jimi-hendrix/

or these two
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...dyland-part-1/
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...dyland-part-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I bought 'Electric Ladyland' back in the late 1980s; it was the last piece of vinyl I ever purchased.
    could've done much worse, I guess...

Interestingly enough, though a relatively late convert to CD around 91 (I did when I had no choice with Anglagard's Hybris and Anekdoten's Vemod), I can't remember which vinyl I bought last in those medium-conversion days. It would've probably been Let Love Rule. Sex Blood Sugar Magik (the grunge stuff I bought as CD)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I can't say as I've ever heard about an edited-down version of the album on CD. The first CD release in the UK, when the catalogue was still on Polydor, was a double. And it fitted on 80 minute discs when they came along.

I quite like the 90s CDs for the first three albums. I think things get messier with the material which was released posthumously (Cry Of Love etc.). IMHO there still hasn't been a particularly satisfactory collection of all that material.

For sure a great album but I can’t see me spending $60 for another version of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good album but not in the least perfect. Jimmy's guitar is too noisy, and his playing a bit sloppy at places. The 2 minutes of Have You Ever Been are too mainstream and destroy the final result, despite 78 minutes of great music. Possibly this would be a masterpiece, if it wasn't for this stupid song that ruins all. The production is ok, but mellotrons are low in the mix.

Overall it's an ok effort but I prefer 90125. Or Hold Your Fire. Jimmy died young and didn't reach maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The 2 minutes of Have You Ever Been are too mainstream and destroy the final result
    A gorgeous, soulful intro (following the curtain-raiser of "And the Gods Made Love") to one of the greatest albums of the sixties. I love the story that after recording the vocal, Hendrix emerged from the booth in tears, saying "I can sing, man, I can sing!"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx