Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Squire Tribute album

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I would say that I don't think Jon knows those chords. His chord knowledge is more simple at least on the guitar and you can hear that when he performs solo. You can imagine how he brought his songs to the band to be embellished by the others. Most likely it's a keyboard player who would come up with those kinds of chord changes at the end (but probably Jon's chords during the parts where he's singing).
    Hah, I just so happen to have the Yes Complete song book which has those chords in it:

Eb - Cb - Cm - Fm7 - Abm - Cm - Fm7 - Ebm - Cmaj

So they're not super fancy-pants chords, and I think they were well within Jon's wheelhouse by 1974. He most certainly could have had the progression in his head (probably having heard something like it in something by Sibelius) and might have needed someone's help to fully realize them. But I'd still put money on JA before anyone else.

Besides, if Jon couldn't have come up with that chord progression then maybe people are right to think Vangelis had a big hand in writing Olias of Sunhillow!

But if not Jon then probably Patrick (unless it was something the band carried over from the Rick days.) He shines as a fusion player on Relayer, but I'm pretty sure he had a deep grounding in traditional Western classical music as a kid.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hah, I just so happen to have the Yes Complete song book which has those chords in it:

Eb - Cb - Cm - Fm7 - Abm - Cm - Fm7 - Ebm - Cmaj

So they're not super fancy-pants chords, and I think they were well within Jon's wheelhouse by 1974.
    I don't think so. If so, you'd hear him do that when he performs Soon live solo pressumably. They're not "fancy pants" but it's not your average everyday chord progression either. I seriously doubt he came up with that part. But, if you guys want to place some bets I can ask him and we can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. If anyone would know it's him!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

But if not Jon then probably Patrick (unless it was something the band carried over from the Rick days.) He shines as a fusion player on Relayer, but I'm pretty sure he had a deep grounding in traditional Western classical music as a kid.
    If I had to guess it would be Patrick for those reasons. However, it does sound very "Wakeman" so I wonder. I really want to find out who wrote it now. Not just for a PE bet (for a beer?) but it's an interesting mystery. I always find it interesting to know who wrote what in a band and it's not always so easy to find out. Asking them is a good way though when you get the chance! I could have asked Patrick when he was on Cruise To The Edge but I didn't think of it.
    Last edited by Squids; 11-13-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Huh? First of all he IS a musician. But, also, not every musician can sit down at the piano and pick out all the notes of chords and come up with an arrangement like that. I'm willing to bet that Jon Anderson didn't do that based on what he says in his own words live when he plays the songs he wrote on his own. Same thing for Phil Collins in Genesis. He just doesn't know the breadth of chords that Tony Banks knows so he plays the song idea he wrote with his chords and then Tony would take that and add his to embellish it. If you'd like to place some bets one whether THAT is the case here with Jon Anderson or your idea that he sat down at the piano and figured out chords to classical songs and went to them with an advanced arrangement you never hear him do solo then let me know.
    I wasn’t talking about the final, embellished arrangement. I just don’t think Anderson can be ruled out as a likely source of the basic chords. ...Anyway, it’s a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    I wasn’t talking about the final, embellished arrangement. I just don’t think Anderson can be ruled out as a likely source of the basic chords. ...Anyway, it’s a good question.
    Ok fair enough! I'll try to find out and will let you guys know. Maybe Henry the master archivist knows! Billy might know too. I'll ask him. It's fun Prog mystery. Now, if Jon Anderson really is responsible for those chords then I owe you and Paulrus a beer.

I don't think so. If so, you'd hear him do that when he performs Soon live solo pressumably. They're not "fancy pants" but it's not your average everyday chord progression either. I seriously doubt he came up with that part. But, if you guys want to place some bets I can ask him and we can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. If anyone would know it's him!
    Oooh noooo, Dave! Please don't ask (see what I did there?) The truth would take all the fun out of speculation :-) BTW. Love your version of Cinema w. Hackett!!
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

^ I don't know the answer. I'm not entirely confident that asking Anderson would provide the right answer.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ I don't know the answer. I'm not entirely confident that asking Anderson would provide the right answer.

Henry
    Oh really? Why? You think he might just say... YES? (that's the millionth "Yes' joke on PE I'm sure). Hmmm. I wonder who to ask to get the answer. I thought you would know! Relayer is an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by SymfoZone View Post
    Oooh noooo, Dave! Please don't ask (see what I did there?) The truth would take all the fun out of speculation :-) BTW. Love your version of Cinema w. Hackett!!
    I suppose some things are better left a mystery. Haha. Oh and thanks. I can tell you some stuff about Cinema but it should in the thread about that album so no one gets confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I believe the two bonus tracks are that. The rest - as far as I understand - are newly recorded with Sherwood.
    Yup --- Sherwood's on everything.

Here are various thoughts, if anyone's interested.

http://www.realgonerocks.com/2018/11...quire-tribute/

Oh really? Why? You think he might just say... YES? (that's the millionth "Yes' joke on PE I'm sure). Hmmm. I wonder who to ask to get the answer.
    Jon and Rick aren't the most reliable narrators. Eddy Offord might be the best resource. Or Steve Howe. Or maybe Moraz.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jon and Rick aren't the most reliable narrators. Eddy Offord might be the best resource. Or Steve Howe.
    Yeah, at this point even Geoff Downes would probably take credit for writing that!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Oh really? Why? You think he might just say... YES?
    Musicians' recollections as to who did what, particularly in a collaborative environment and when dealing with events decades ago, often vary. We were recently discussing, for example, Horn's co-writing credit on "Owner of a Lonely Heart", where Horn and Rabin have different stories as to why it exists. Without accusing anyone of lying, people are naturally going to have different memories.

Scott suggests Anderson is an especially unreliable narrator. There are certainly occasions where Anderson has, through accident or deliberately, recounted events in a way that is demonstrably at odds with what happened. Both he and, more so, Wakeman like to tell stories and a well-rehearsed story often deviates a lot from the truth. If you've got a funny, or pointed, anecdote to tell, you simplify it to make it a better story. Whether Anderson is broadly unreliable... I like to hear every side of the story and see how the pieces might fit together.

So, it would be interesting to hear what Anderson says about the composing of "Soon", but whatever he says isn't necessarily the final answer. You'd also want to hear what Moraz, Howe and White say. And even then you can't know what really happened. But I always like to hear the musicians discussing the nitty-gritty of who came up with what idea -- it often isn't reflected in the writing credits (like Bruford coming up with the repetitive guitar figure in "Siberian Khatru").

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    But I always like to hear the musicians discussing the nitty-gritty of who came up with what idea -- it often isn't reflected in the writing credits (like Bruford coming up with the repetitive guitar figure in "Siberian Khatru").

Henry
    He did? Wow that's unexpected. Yeah I agree. That's some of the most interesting stuff to learn from interviews and things. It's funny. Now that we're talking about it I could really kick myself for not pestering Patrick just a little bit on Cruise To The Edge when he was there. First of all, he's a really nice guy and he'd probably love to chat about it. Not sure if Howe and White would really want to talk so much about it. You know, years ago I met the 80s Yes backstage at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary concert at MSG. I was talking to Alan. I was only 21 I think or something like that. I had just purchased all the Yes albums on CD (as the CD versions had just come out around then... I had them on vinyl before that) and was telling him about it but got confused as to whether it was him or Bruford on a certain album and he was NOT happy!!! I'll never forget that. But, you know, it IS an easy mistake I mean come on. That said, I think if you caught him in a good moment and didn't mess up you could get some good answers. Howe on the other hand... I've only exchanged a few sentences with him. I'm a huge fan as many of us are. Brilliant innovative musician. Fernando and I love Steve Howe. But, I can't imagine having a long conversation with him about who wrote what in Yes. Would LOVE to! But, I'm sure most of the other guys would be into chatting about it and yeah their recollections would understandably vary just as you said. And I agree it's interesting to hear even if it wasn't entirely accurate.

You know, in the bands I've been in over the years, sometimes there's been some blur as to who wrote what. Sometimes singers take credit for more than the melody or lyrics they came up with and I've fantasized about a scenario where someone said "Ok well if you wrote it then go ahead and play it". Sort of like that scene in Annie Hall with Marshall McLuhan for anyone who knows the reference. So, IF JA said he did write that part (and I bet he wouldn't actually say that I think he'd say he wrote it with his strange guitar chord version like he shows when he plays live solo) then someone could say "ok well then play it" and then... you'd hear his "weird guitar chords" (I play those same weird chords myself btw) and not the actual chord sequence in that section of the song. Pure conjecture of course. Sorry for going off topic. This is too much fun. There should be a whole separate thread of us guessing who wrote what from the classic bands. Endless conversation material and things up for debate and beer bets!