Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nektar new album and Tour 2018

Hope they play a few gigs and have some fun.

At then end, most Nektar gigs were only attracting a few fans anyway.

It certainly would have been nice to have more people attend the recent Nektar tours. The point is that this band is not Nektar and should not be calling
    themselves that. It's a tribute band, which, again, is fine. Just identify it as such.

I've no problem with children taking on their father's legacy but please take a queue from "Son Of Man"!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Well, there is still a Glenn Miller Orchstra, even without Glenn Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, there is still a Glenn Miller Orchstra, even without Glenn Miller.
    But, it's billed as his orchestra, not him.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm glad there is Nektar news and the possibility of new music and old music played by some interested/related parties, but the name thing is a big deal to many, possibly most importantly the old band members. I would feel better if Ron, Taff, Mo and Mick were willing to give their approval and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The Guess Who recently released a new album and are touring, but only drummer Garry Peterson remains. Strangely, Rudy Sarzo (Ozzy/Quiet Riot/Whitesnake) is now their bass player. And their lead singer goes by the name "D#".
    You forgot to mention the lead singer is female...nothing wrong with that, but it will most likely make the classic material different.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    You forgot to mention the lead singer is female...nothing wrong with that, but it will most likely make the classic material different.
    Yikes.

I remember the fake Guess Who that toured in the 80s. I was super-disappointed AFTER buying tickets to learn that there was no Burton Cummings or Randy Bachman. I was cheated.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No, the singer is a guy. An androgynous looking guy, but a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    No, the singer is a guy. An androgynous looking guy, but a guy.
    Nothing wrong with that, it's just when I first saw the video several weeks ago, the vocals and physical characteristics led me to believe something else.(I viewed it on the small YT screen)and looked like this
    My apologies, when I first saw the video and heard the song I didn't listen very long and bailed out because it didn't sound like the Guess Who which I remembered.
    Thanks bRETT.
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
    Last edited by Top Cat; 09-11-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Nothing wrong with that, it's just when I first saw the video several weeks ago, the vocals and physical characteristics led me to believe something else.
    My apologies, when I first saw the video and heard the song I didn't listen very long and bailed out because it didn't sound like the Guess Who which I remembered.
    Thanks bRETT.
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
    Doesn't sound bad, but I don't think it sounds like the Guess Who.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yikes.

I remember the fake Guess Who that toured in the 80s. I was super-disappointed AFTER buying tickets to learn that there was no Burton Cummings or Randy Bachman. I was cheated.
    Did you have to guess who was in the lineup whenever you went to a gig?

Nothing wrong with that, it's just when I first saw the video several weeks ago, the vocals and physical characteristics led me to believe something else.

I'm guessing that this lineup is not playing "Glamour Boy".

I wish them well, but I will pass.

Taff passed away?

This is not a new Nektar.
    Ron, Mick and/or Mo might have the answer to your question. -Fred

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I've no problem with children taking on their father's legacy but please take a queue from "Son Of Man"!
    Yeah but "Sons of Nektar" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. I'm sure the kids of the Man-band have been waiting to use that name since Sunday school way back when....

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Did you have to guess who was in the lineup whenever you went to a gig?
    I did at that one.

Nothing wrong with that, it's just when I first saw the video several weeks ago, the vocals and physical characteristics led me to believe something else.(I viewed it on the small YT screen)and looked like this
    Thanks bRETT.
    FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
    I would not have thought that was a guy.

I would not have thought that was a guy.
    Was just reading up on him...real name Derek Sharp - and he has been in The Guess Who since 2008! Also is married to Canadian rocker Sass Jordan. Despite the presence of the original drummer, this band calling themselves The Guess Who sounds so little like the band from the Bachman/Cummings days. I cannot imagine this D# fella singing Guess Who classics like "These Eyes" or "No Time".

Was just reading up on him...real name Derek Sharp - and he has been in The Guess Who since 2008! Also is married to Canadian rocker Sass Jordan. Despite the presence of the original drummer, this band calling themselves The Guess Who sounds so little like the band from the Bachman/Cummings days. I cannot imagine this D# fella singing Guess Who classics like "These Eyes" or "No Time".
    No, not American Woman by any stretch but a good song, I think, i'd like to hear some of the old tunes being done by this version of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Cue, not queue.

If this iteration comes near here, I'll go if the price is right. I do like the material.

Thanks for the detailed info Dan.
    My apologies if my comment offended Derek or anyone else, and to the OP if I sidetracked the thread.

The Guess Who recently released a new album and are touring, but only drummer Garry Peterson remains. Strangely, Rudy Sarzo (Ozzy/Quiet Riot/Whitesnake) is now their bass player. And their lead singer goes by the name "D#".
    Exactly, I saw them 3 years ago in Houston and the Bass player was also an original older guy but it seems Rudy has replaced him. Coincidentally, GFR also only have their drummer Don Brewer as the sole survivor of the legendary original trio. The singer was a tall younger guy who yes, had a weird nickname. Back in 2001, I saw them with both Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman in Montreal and what a treat that was! I went to see the YES Orchestral tour a few days later.

And speaking of Yes, I did not mention them because even if Steve Howe was not a founding member, he is a key member of the Classic lineup. He carries the torch just like Andy Latimer for Camel and David Gilmour did for Pink Floyd (1987-1994) both which greatly validate each band's name...but without Roye this band definitely is not Nektar
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Here is a recent interview with Rudy Sarzo about his involvement with The Guess Who. It is an interesting read: http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...ew.php?id=1281