Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nektar new album and Tour 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Coincidentally, GFR also only have their drummer Don Brewer as the sole survivor of the legendary original trio. The singer was a tall younger guy who yes, had a weird nickname. ktar
    I saw them about a year ago and Mel was still with them along with Don. The singer (I can't remember his name either) used to be with 38 Special.

I found a link to what is the title song to the forthcoming album from 'New Nektar' , I like the fact that they added 'new' to the name of the band.

The album (Megalomania) will be released on Dec 7th.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/ne...m-megalomania/

Jon Neudorf
    How does it sound?

Jon

I'd go see them if they played near me. Roye was very proud of his musician son. I'm sure he will do his best to do justice to his dad's legacy.

OK, I like the track I listened to. It does remind me of someone else, but I haven't made the connection yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Must say that ain't bad. Not sure it's Nektar, but not bad.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It sounds decent to me but I agree the Nektar connection is not very direct.

Same for me. Usually I have no issues with bands remaining active after the death of their founding members, including Gong or Tangerine Dream where no original members are involved in the current reincarnation. But for some reasons I can't explain, Nektar without Roye (I know there was a Roy-less Nektar in the past) just doesn't work for me. And I really don't care about names , either Nektar or New Nektar are fine. Maybe because the other members were a little bit subdued and too discreet ?
    The above excerpt is not bad but won't help me change my mind.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-24-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Not bad at all.

Not Nektar, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not bad at all.

Not Nektar, though.
    No Roye, no Nektar, he was a big part of their overall sound and spirit. But I do like the music I'm hearing from this band.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    No Roye, no Nektar, he was a big part of their overall sound and spirit. But I do like the music I'm hearing from this band.
    Yep. I just wish they would take a half step back and rethink this. How many people will go to see a Nektar based on this name, only to find they've been a misled?

Look, I get it. There's a legacy that these guys want to keep alive. But, even Roye had difficulty doing that, if ticket sales were any indication. I can't see how this will help. I'd love to see a band playing the classic songs, which these guys will likely do and do very well. But a different name can distinguish themselves from the true Nektar and also give them their own identity. This is just extremely misguided and short-sighted.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, the sample doesn't sound like the old band. Maybe a little like the reincarnated Crack the Sky (who also doesn't sound like the old band).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Yep. I just wish they would take a half step back and rethink this. How many people will go to see a Nektar based on this name, only to find they've been a misled?

Look, I get it. There's a legacy that these guys want to keep alive. But, even Roye had difficulty doing that, if ticket sales were any indication. I can't see how this will help. I'd love to see a band playing the classic songs, which these guys will likely do and do very well. But a different name can distinguish themselves from the true Nektar and also give them their own identity. This is just extremely misguided and short-sighted.
    Agreed. That's also how I feel about this band calling themselves Starcastle.

Sadly, "Megalomania" sounds to me like generic arena rock. Good generic arena rock of the Montrose/Gamma variety, but generic arena rock just the same.

I hope it fills arenas.

I very much doubt that it will.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Reading that interview with Rudy Sarzo about The Guess Who, and the comments about the lineup of this new "Nektar" brings up this pet peeve of mine... When we're talking about a band whose classic period was 40-50 years ago it really doesn't matter if some of the current members have been around for 15-20 years. I mean, kudos to them for sticking around for so long, and they might be amazing players but it won't make it any more authentic than if they had just joined.
    I'm a huge Kansas fan, and while I have a lot of respect for Billy Greer and David Ragsdale and enjoy their playing/singing, it is irrelevant that they've been around for 20-30 years if 90% of the sets they play every night are made up of songs they didn't have anything to do with.

I can live with a classic band carrying on with only one or two original/classic members (especially if they were a key member of the band) and a few long-serving replacements, but a band that has absolutely no connection to the material they play live is not the same band, and not even a new version of that band.
    In short, this is not Nektar.
    Last edited by DarthVander; 11-28-2018 at 11:51 AM.

^^ The Guess Who is always the first band that comes to mind when I think of such fakery.

^^ The Guess Who is always the first band that comes to mind when I think of such fakery.
    Worse in their case because the two key members of the original Guess Who are still performing. Also most of the material released by the post-Cummings lineups has been terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Worse in their case because the two key members of the original Guess Who are still performing. Also most of the material released by the post-Cummings lineups has been terrible.
    Actually I think there is only one left now as Jim Kale retired fairly recently. The current band is actually quite good and the tracks I have heard from the new album is not bad at all........but it sounds nothing like classic Guess Who.

A couple of others that come to mind are The Little River Band and Molly Hatchet both of which still tour and put out albums, but neither contain any original members. LRB does have Wayne Nelson who was part of the tail end of the "classic" era of the band, but Hatchet contains no members of what most would consider their "classic" lineups (they are all dead). In both bands there has been continuity over the years that have resulted in the current situations, so I understand why it has happened, but whether these bands actually have the right to calling themselves what they do is certainly open to debate.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually I think there is only one left now as Jim Kale retired fairly recently.
    I meant that Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman are still performing, just not with the band calling itself the Guess Who. Peterson and Kale are fine but I can't really think of them as key members (and I preferred Bill Wallace anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I meant that Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman are still performing, just not with the band calling itself the Guess Who. Peterson and Kale are fine but I can't really think of them as key members (and I preferred Bill Wallace anyway).
    Ah, ok I think I misread your comment.

I would go to hear live, old Nektar and see how that sounds; and the new stuff as well which sounds good to me ( shouldn't sound like Nektar, considering the composition of the band).

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    I would go to hear live, old Nektar and see how that sounds; and the new stuff as well which sounds good to me ( shouldn't sound like Nektar, considering the composition of the band).
    When one takes a step back and listens to all the Nektar albums, one realizes that Nektar doesn't sound like Nektar. Every release was different. That is one thing that actually hurt the band when they were ready to really take off.

According to a Nektar Facebook page:

Plans are afoot for Nektar (Mo, Ron & guests) to play some major events in the near future, you will be able to keep track of that progress via the official website https://nektarsmusic.com (where you will find information related to the entire Nektar family) and our official facebook page /nektarRocks.

When one takes a step back and listens to all the Nektar albums, one realizes that Nektar doesn't sound like Nektar. Every release was different. That is one thing that actually hurt the band when they were ready to really take off.
    Exactly, musical styles changed drastically from album to album. A great ride with so many changes and in retrospect, great efforts on every album of the classic lineup.