Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marillion - Clutching at Straws box set including 5.1 blu ray mix out in November

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you read Fish's ramble posted above, it sounds like some of it has been released previously, but that could have been a track on B-side for all we know. It can probably be sussed out with some digging on Discogs and/or RYM.
    Ah, of course. That'll just be the four Clutching era tracks from 'The Thieving Magpie' then.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    My local HMV has at least 3 of the Tull box sets (Aqualung, Heavy Horses & Too Old) and the Marillion Brave CD set on the shelves.
    Yep, those are basically the titles you can still find easily. So anyone who doesn't like missing out on these should grab them for their initial prices while you can! Some of the Tull sets go for outrageous prices now. Or at least, they are listed at outrageous prices... I don't know if anyone is actually going to plunk down two grand for the Thick As A Brick set (if they do, they'd better make damn sure they are getting the corrected replacement disc included!)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    It might mean a bit less tinkering, which could be a good thing.

Does anyone know if the live gig that's been included has been issued elsewhere previously? I certainly don't have it, so that guarantees a purchase.
    At least one of the tracks on Thieving Magpie is from this Edinburgh gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    At least one of the tracks on Thieving Magpie is from this Edinburgh gig.
    There are four from 'The Thieving Magpie'.

Thieving Magpie was my gateway album to the wonderful world of Marillion.
    My routine was to go to the record shop every Friday and scour through every album from A to Z, seeking something new or find a new group.
    I discovered the Thieving Magpie on cassette of all things, and the cover intrigued me and I always read the titles of songs to hopefully get an idea of what a new band was about...prog, please let it be prog.
    We listened to it over and over, and yes, I thought to myself, I do believe there are hints of Genesis on here, but different.
    I then set out to discover their backlog of albums..one of those things in life that can bring great pleasure, discovering new music.

On one of my weekly visits, I was going through the cd's and letter M when my heart jumped with excitement, a new Marillion album, Seasons End.
    Bought it, rushed home and put it in the cd without reading anything, oh that first intro of The King of Sunset Town...then the vocals come in...what??? that's not Fish, but I liked it...and so began a new chapter of loving Marillion, this time with Steve Hogarth.

I always kept an eye open for a new Fish album, and was so happy when Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors.

Have been lucky to see Marillion live twice, Seasons End and Holidays in Eden and Fish at the 7th house in Pontiac, Mi in Aug of 97.
    Thank you Marillion and Fish.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    rushed home and put it in the cd without reading anything, oh that first intro of The King of Sunset Town...then the vocals come in...what??? that's not Fish, but I liked it...
    Ah, the good old days, when you would find out that your favorite band whose singer quick last year had found a new singer and released a new album by stumbling across the cassette in the store.

At least that's my Season's End story.

I have very fond memories of the day I bought Season's End in early 1990. I played the cassette over and over that afternoon.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    I have very fond memories of the day I bought Season's End in early 1990. I played the cassette over and over that afternoon.
    Me too - kept it up for a couple of weeks. I couldn't get enough of it. When Fish's first solo album came out the same thing happened again.

If memory serves me correct, most of the music for Seasons End had already been written(not lyrics) before Fish announced he was leaving.
    Anyone else read this, or heard it in an interview?
    that would be interesting to hear how the album would have sounded, and wow, what lyrics he'd write for it. Although I do enjoy Helmer's lyrics on Seasons and Holidays.
    Then there's the funny video of Hogarth's first performance in that tiny little bar where they had to climb out the window(on From Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

If memory serves me correct, most of the music for Seasons End had already been written(not lyrics) before Fish announced he was leaving.
    Anyone else read this, or heard it in an interview?
    that would be interesting to hear how the album would have sounded, and wow, what lyrics he'd write for it. Although I do enjoy Helmer's lyrics on Seasons and Holidays.
    Then there's the funny video of Hogarth's first performance in that tiny little bar where they had to climb out the window(on From Stoke Row to Ipanema DVD).
    If you get the double disc of Clutching at Straws, it has some demos of the songs that would have been on the next album.

The music on these demos appears to have been reused for Seasons End, some of the lyrics are on Fish's solo albums.

Someone once told me they saw Marillion with Hogarth not long after he joined, and there there were some guys at the bar wearing headphones who kept shouting 'Bring Back Fish!' between songs.

If you get the double disc of Clutching at Straws, it has some demos of the songs that would have been on the next album.

The music on these demos appears to have been reused for Seasons End, some of the lyrics are on Fish's solo albums.
    oh, that's verrrrrry tempting.
    So you're saying there are demos that have Fish lyrics?, Fish vocals??

Yup, I haven't listened to it for ages, but I have a vague recollection of the music for King of Sunset Town with Fish singing the lyrics for what became Internal Exile. (Or something close to both.) There's a whole CD of it.

I have a friend who listened to Seasons End and didn't even realise the singer had changed!

From wiki:

1999 remastered CD edition Disc 2 (bonus tracks)
    "Incommunicado" (alternative version) – 5:57
    "Tux On" – 5:13
    "Going Under" (extended version) – 2:48
    "Beaujolais Day" – 4:51
    "Story from a Thin Wall" – 6:47
    "Shadows on the Barley" – 2:07
    "Sunset Hill" – 4:21
    "Tic-Tac-Toe" – 2:59
    "Voice in the Crowd" – 3:29
    "Exile on Princes Street" – 5:29
    "White Russians" (demo) – 6:15
    "Sugar Mice in the Rain" (demo) – 5:54

Yes, some of those hybrid tracks are pretty interesting. They changed quite a bit in some cases as they became separate Marillion and Fish songs (obviously the Fish ones are quite different as the music is not the same at all.) My favourite of these is Shadows On The Barley, the music of which became The Bell In The Sea, a great b-side track from the Seasons End sessions. Story From A Thin Wall is another good one, which was lyrically an early version of Fish's Family Business.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Or, if one buys the box set that is the subject of this thread, they appear to be included as Disc 4.

I've always found them quite fun.

The story goes that after years of claiming there was no new music written at the time Fish left, Mark Kelly admitted as the remasters were being done (in the late 90's) to having a cookie jar (or the British equivalent) full of cassettes with demos in his kitchen. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    The story goes that after years of claiming there was no new music written at the time Fish left, Mark Kelly admitted as the remasters were being done (in the late 90's) to having a cookie jar (or the British equivalent) full of cassettes with demos in his kitchen. Or something like that.
    well I'm a bit confused, as bad as my memory is these days, I do recall Mark during an interview during the release of Seasons End saying a lot of the music for Seasons End had already been written and they had begun the audition process for a new singer.

Whatever the case, I'm happy with the direction Marillion took with Steve Hogarth, I don't think there's many lead frontmen that can match his vocals and stage presence today.
    And on the plus side, we've had decades of great material from Fish himself. It's almost enough to make one say, I'm glad Fish left Marillion, as I'm glad Peter left Genesis for the same reasons.

well I'm a bit confused, as bad as my memory is these days, I do recall Mark during an interview during the release of Seasons End saying a lot of the music for Seasons End had already been written and they had begun the audition process for a new singer.
    I think what was denied over the years was that there was recordings of unreleased songs with Fish.

I think what was denied over the years was that there was recordings of unreleased songs with Fish.
    ah yes, that makes perfect sense.. I don't think I quite understood your post in it's entirety.
    I thought the same thing, I was led to believe during those interviews those tracks were music only and Fish was off fishing or something..lol

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think you're thinking of when they were auditioning new vocalists they had a plastic bucket of cassettes with songs by new vocalists. Or something like that.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-15-2018 at 08:25 PM.

have the other shows excerpted for thieving magpie been released in full at this point? been so many releases I don't wanna presume anything just based on what I know, but if not wonder if Sheffield would be included on a fugazi deluxe. or maybe Leicester though I know some of that was on real to reel.

CANNOT wait for full on Edinburgh. That and the doc are the highlights for me.

If the Edinburgh show is the one I think it is (radio broadcast), then it's got a killer version of Fugazi.
    Would be nice if they'd release the Mannheim '86 show ("Freaks" on La Gazza Ladra is take from it) - best version of Misplaced Childhood I've heard.
    Peter

Those hybrid tracks where sessions recordings for the fifth album with Fish.

The band where working quite a long time on them, but where getting not very far.
    There was a lot of beef going on between the band and Fish, like Fish wanting to get
    more Folky an him writing a book with Mark Wilkinson without telling the band members.

I think the whole thing cumulated with the band manager hearing the demos
    and almost losing any hope for their future...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think you're thinking of when they were auditioning new vocalists they had a plastic bucket of cassettes with songs by new vocalists. Or something like that.
    So many Marillion anecdotes involved containers of cassettes!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think YOU are mixing in Hogarth's story of coming to those early rehearsals with cassettes in a bucket. "Dry Land" came out of that bucket. It was a song that his previous band had recorded.
    Chad