Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What attributes qualify a song to be Prog? Which songs are the precursors to Prog?

I can tell you what prog is not: {voice of George Carlin} "Prog is not Asia!"

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Prague Rock is rock music from the Czech Republic. Does that clear it up for ya?
    Wow. So all those rumours that Prog rock was invented before 1989 are grossly exaggerated?

When it makes my nipples hard.

And RIO (Rock In Opposition) originated in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And RIO (Rock In Opposition) originated in Brazil.
    I was sure it was in Texas that it grew up Grande, than grew down Plata in Argentina
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bach and Handel are the definitions of prog (ever hear the overture to Handel's Messiah? Sounds like PFM to me). The noodling of their instructors are the precursors.

The Beatles invented everything.

No wonder I dislike them intensely. Damn know alls
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

I ask myself this whenever I peruse the new releases on Prog Archives. Half the time, they simply put things as "Crossover" or "Related" since I'm not sure they know what it is. That said, I'm not entirely sure what it is. Most of the time it just sounds like Rock to me without anything really progressive about it. Then again, what constitutes mainstream Rock these days sounds like a slightly harder version of standard Pop music.

Personally, I think the 2018 version of Prog has broken down so much that I'm not exactly sure what it is. Only those bands that harken back to older Symphonic, RIO or Neo forms tend to sound like what I think Prog is.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by feldman View Post
    Wow. So all those rumours that Prog rock was invented before 1989 are grossly exaggerated?
    Prague was also the capital of Czechoslovakia.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I was sure it was in Texas that it grew up Grande, than grew down Plata in Argentina
    What?..... Speak Ingles.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    More like The Wurm of Caens.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by betty humpter View Post
    When it makes my nipples hard.
    What a vague ill-defined criteria. There are many different degrees of nipple hardness, not to mention great variations in the speed at which a nipple may harden. Also, does the duration of acquired nipple hardness influence what is and is not prog? Furthermore, how many nipples are we talking about? What if only one nipple hardens, but it stays hardened for a longer period of time than a dual nipple hardening, does that mean the song that induced the hardness is technically more prog? What if both nipples harden slowly, as is the case with prog that can only be appreciated with multiple listens? My nipples were soft as microwaved jelly beans when I first listened to Univers Zero, but now they both perk up like tiny chest boners at the first sign of woodwinds.

I mean I'm not discounting the validity of the nipple as a wholly objective gauge for whether or not something is prog. But I do think we need to expand on the science a little before the mainstream will accept it as a metric.

What about inverted nipples? Is that a sign of Avant Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Typical prog song

A third nipple certainly is.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Crossover Prog/Prog-Related:

Neo/Symphonic Prog:

RIO/Avant Prog:

I'll post more examples if these prove popular...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Crossover Prog/Prog-Related:

So the Osmonds found Tom's time machine?

So the Osmonds found Tom's time machine?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A third nipple certainly is.
    I used to play in free improvisation ensemble named Third Nipple. We're we prog? Don't really care, but we were sax, drums, analog synth and fretless guitar run through a kaoss pad, with the synth player also playing some rubber bass and percussion. Might be kinda "proggish" to some. Or not.

Bye.

The Nipple Erectors (also known as The Nips) were an English punk rock band formed in London in 1976 by female punk artist Shanne Bradley and are notable as having been Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan's first musical group.

Miles Davis?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Progressive Rock (noun) When a musical artist pushes the boundaries of an established style of music that is based around Rock instrumentation (Guitar, Bass Guitar, Keyboards, Kit Drums) and backbeat. Blending it with other styles such as Jazz, Classical and ethnic musics. Incorporating elements such as non-standard chord progressions, tempo and mood changes within a piece, odd time signatures, Avant or Harmolodic passages, complex Horn charts or Orchestral arrangements.
    As much as I've argued with you about some of your genre definitions, this one's not bad. My only complaint (not with you) is that this subject is probably a decade or more older than this forum; we argued about it on alt.music.progressive, for heaven's sake...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Prog: If you can define it, you aren’t listening.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.