Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Office of Strategic Influence - The Thing That Never Was, or What Might Have Been?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Linton, Scotland
    Posts
    215

    Office of Strategic Influence - The Thing That Never Was, or What Might Have Been?

    You know you're getting old, when debut albums that you still consider "recent" turn out to be 15 years old.....

    I've been catching up on the Dream Theater/Fates Warning spin-off, Office of Strategic Influence, having finally gotten round to buying the fourth album Fire Make Thunder, and I thought it would be fun to write up a retrospective across the project's four albums, especially for newer DT and Fates fans who might not have come across this interesting spin-off project.

    The fact that Steven Wilson and Gavin Harrison have also contributed to the music hasn't done it any harm either.

    “Ain’t no use in asking why. To tell the truth they’re OSI.”

    You can browse my thoughts here:

    https://momentstransition.wordpress....luffers-guide/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    HAM
    Posts
    330
    thanks, valen, really enjoyed reading that! big fan of all things O.S.I. here – and quietly dreaming about/for a new future release.

    here's what i wrote about “free”, my favourite album by them (in fact, one of my all-time faves and go-to-albums for all seasons)
    :
    https://manversusmedia.wordpress.com...that-is-o-s-i/

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    East Linton, Scotland
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    thanks, valen, really enjoyed reading that! big fan of all things O.S.I. here – and quietly dreaming about/for a new future release.

    here's what i wrote about “free”, my favourite album by them (in fact, one of my all-time faves and go-to-albums for all seasons)
    :
    https://manversusmedia.wordpress.com...that-is-o-s-i/
    Wow, you really dug deep into this album, and some new insights there for me.

    Of the four albums, this is the one I need to work a little harder at. I bought it on release but it didn't click and I think I eventually gave it away.

    Happy to have reacquired it again, and will give it a fresh spin based on your feedback. Cheers!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    HAM
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Wow, you really dug deep into this album, and some new insights there for me.

    Of the four albums, this is the one I need to work a little harder at. I bought it on release but it didn't click and I think I eventually gave it away.

    Happy to have reacquired it again, and will give it a fresh spin based on your feedback. Cheers!
    yes, please do. only albums of this (good) sort get me to write up stuff like that … glad you enjoyed it!

  5. #5
    I love that album, although that's not saying much because I really like them all.

  6. #6
    I absolutely love those albums!! Kevin Moore brings such a unique aura to everything he puts his hands on.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I absolutely love those albums!! Kevin Moore brings such a unique aura to everything he puts his hands on.
    Agreed.
    Listening to the recording session tracks and comparing those to the final product of the debut album after Moore got through with it................amazing stuff.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    Agreed.
    Listening to the recording session tracks and comparing those to the final product of the debut album after Moore got through with it................amazing stuff.
    Dude is a genius. I wish he'd do more Chroma Key, personally.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    Dude is a genius. I wish he'd do more Chroma Key, personally.
    Are you aware of the Chroma Key Patreon project? Some really good Chroma Key tracks are available:
    https://www.patreon.com/chromakey

    -Chris

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,603
    I am a fan. The first one is still my favorite.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post
    Are you aware of the Chroma Key Patreon project? Some really good Chroma Key tracks are available:
    https://www.patreon.com/chromakey

    -Chris

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    I did NOT know that....thanks!

  12. #12
    Member Boceephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    123
    Thanks for the tip! I joined the patreon CK account!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member Boceephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    123
    This thread has me in a Kevin Moore loop...especially the “less then metal” tracks. I love that glitchy atmospheric stuff
    & KM’s understated vocals. Very chill & dreamy.
    Any other bands playing a similar style?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •