Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - This Was (50th Anniversary S. Wilson remix book edition) November 9

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^'Coronach', a single no less, is another track on very little else.
    Right you are! I always forget about that one. Again, basically the 20th anniversary box for that one outside of the 7" single.

The earliest surviving footage I know of was that one-off with Tony Iommi for the 'Stones ill-fated Rock And Roll Circus project.
    And even that isn't really live. Only Ian is live while the band mimes.

'So Much Trouble' is interesting here. No studio recording of the track yet Anderson was fond enough of it to still do it in the 90s and beyond!
    Yeah, even right up to the 2008 Basel DVD! Which is actually a decent show for the time period.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

There is a claim here that a show in Croydon's Fairfield Halls with Abrahams was filmed, but lost to the ravages of time.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-12642189

Ah, this seems to have been for the BBC's Colour Me Pop. Now there's a show to break your heart. A truly astonishing line-up of artists, but a tiny amount of it survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour...f_performances

I wonder if they're going to do Stormwatch at some point.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wonder if they're going to do Stormwatch at some point.
    Page 1 #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Page 1 #11
    D'OH!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ian is God. So is Dave Stewart. So is Tim Smith. And for that, I'm in.

As in Midlake Tim Smith? He is working on a project called Harp...if it's the same artist?
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    As in Midlake Tim Smith? He is working on a project called Harp...if it's the same artist?
    Cardiacs.

I was going to pass on this one. The enthusiasm for this album expressed in this thread changed my mind.

Also I'm still butt hurt over missing Minstrel in the Gallery. Stupid one off pressings.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Holy shit I didn't realize these were going for that much these days, I'm glad they've all been auto buys for me... Except for I had to convince myself about war child and too old to rock and roll

The only one I didn't pull the trigger on was Warchild, figuring people wouldn't be falling all over each other to get that, and I was putting priority on KC, Jobson boxes at the time. I can't believe that one isn't available. Anyone know what the printing runs are there on these? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but it's silly they are that limited. And you know there are nitwits who snapped up multiple copies so they could Ebay them at stupid prices.

I think the original Mono might be of interest.

That would be the album before Ian mixed out Mike.
    (never heard that before)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I think the original Mono might be of interest.

That would be the album before Ian mixed out Mike.
    (never heard that before)
    The original mono was released about 10 years ago along with a stereo re-mix, the bulk of which re-appears in the package along with the 4.1 mix. I'm sure at some point I'll buy this and wind up paying for Ian's driver's lunch but this one is pretty much a pure money grab, take a 4 track mix that you can't even separate out the vocals for the center channel, have SW re-mix an album already re-mixed, include previously released material (the first re-mix and mono mix), sprinkle in a song or two that hit the cutting room floor, and slap a $50 list price on it, eech.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 09-02-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    this one is pretty much a pure money grab, take a 4 track mix that you can't even separate out the vocals for the center channel, have SW re-mix an album already re-mixed, include previously released material (the first re-mix and mono mix), sprinkle in a song or two that hit the cutting room floor, and slap a $50 list price on it, eech.
    It's worth mentioning the extensive books that come with these sets too. IMO they add to the value - loads of great info, reminiscing, photos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's worth mentioning the extensive books that come with these sets too. IMO they add to the value - loads of great info, reminiscing, photos, etc.
    The package is well put together no doubt, but I suspect the fact the band were newbies at the time it's going to be less than the ones that followed. I'm going to go up to Stormwatch, the 80's discs are where my line will be drawn, perhaps Ian's, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The original mono was released about 10 years ago along with a stereo re-mix, the bulk of which re-appears in the package along with the 4.1 mix. I'm sure at some point I'll buy this and wind up paying for Ian's driver's lunch but this one is pretty much a pure money grab, take a 4 track mix that you can't even separate out the vocals for the center channel, have SW re-mix an album already re-mixed, include previously released material (the first re-mix and mono mix), sprinkle in a song or two that hit the cutting room floor, and slap a $50 list price on it, eech.
    I only own This Was on vinyl. Nice mint gatefold, not an original press though... I would like to get a CD copy. I noticed the BBC stuff is all on the 40th Anni Edition too! So yeah you make good points I'll spend $20 on the 40th Ed. and save my money for other product.

My review copy arrived today. Unlike with past sets, this one is just the actual discs and a digital copy of the book. Time to start listening!

cd.jpg

cd1.jpg

I'll be getting this...and Benefit if they do a book style version...and all the way up to J-Tull.com if they go that far.

I hope Under Wraps finally gets the real drums Ian always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My review copy arrived today. Unlike with past sets, this one is just the actual discs and a digital copy of the book. Time to start listening!
    Nice - how's she sounding?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nice - how's she sounding?
    Pretty fantastic to be honest. I was really pleased with the quad mix, sounded beautiful! I've also listened to CD1 and glanced at the book, but I'll immerse myself fully in it tonight and tomorrow since I will have a lot of time to myself.

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    I need this don't I?
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I need this don't I?
    I'm going to have to go ahead and say yes. The 4.1 mix and the book are totally worth it (those books are so good, I almost wonder if I'd shell out just for those!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    If I read the description aright, it's only some of the bonus tracks that are getting surround mixes, correct? A surround mix of the album itself always seemed like a dubious proposition, given that it was only a 4-track recording to begin with.
    Not if they have, as was the case with the Beatles sgt peppers, the original pre-bounce tapes. Back in those days they would record to 3-4 tracks, certain instruments and/or voices, mix them down to one track which would then free up three tracks to do the same with others.

So, if they only have the finished 4-track tape to work with, they are, indeed, limited. If they have the pre-bounce tapes then they've got a lot more potential. Sadly, based on SW's comments, it sounds like the former.

Hope this helps, at least, explain that even back in the days of 4-track, they could still record far more tracks than you might think.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Here are a few excerpts from what Steven Wilson had to say about it: (there's more in the actual book included in the new set, but this gives you an idea)

The surround mix of This Was is in 4.1 rather than 5.1, so in this case the centre channel is not used. This was a decision I made due to the limitations of remixing an album that was recorded on only 4 track tape, as there weren’t really enough discrete elements to justify using the centre channel. In fact, one might assume that there isn’t enough to justify any kind of surround treatment, or that it would be largely redundant, but I hope you will be pleasantly surprised how effective the 4.1 surround mix is. The reason for this is that the 4 recorded channels on the original session tapes are actually only a part of the story.

Firstly, some channels on the tape contain more than one element which I could split on to separate channels on the computer. For example on Song For Jeffrey the 4 track tape breaks down as 1. drums/bass, 2. guitar, 3. harmonica, 4. flute/lead vocal. The drums and bass on channel 1 are playing together so I couldn’t separate them, but the flute and lead vocal on channel 4 alternate and are never heard together, so I could split them to give me a 5 channel session: 1. drums/bass, 2. guitar, 3. harmonica, 4. flute, 5. lead vocal.

Finally, taking a single mono channel that contains a bounce of multiple instruments, it was possible to add “ambience recovery” processing. The original mono signal was not compromised and still exists in the mix exactly as recorded, but on some songs a subtle stereo room ambience has been added in the rear speakers to create a more dimensional quality, as if you are standing in the studio with the musicians playing in front of you, but you’re also hearing the sound reflect back at you from the back of the room.

^That is great stuff.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Could you please give a short description about the book, contentwise (photgraphs, interviews..) and esp. how many pages is has ('cause differently to all other announced book-remix-editions nowhere is mentioned this)
    JG
    Last edited by jan.gast; 10-18-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Typing error