Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Continuum - Acceleration Theory

In Continuum - Acceleration Theory

Hi-res digital version is up for preorder on Bandcamp. It's $40 but I'm good with that in this case. Release date is October 20:

https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/a...-96k-pre-order

Dave Kerzner, Gabriel Agudo, Randy McStine, Matt Dorsey, Marco Minnemann

Special guests: Nick D'Virgilio, John Wesley, Fernando Perdomo, Leticia Wolf, Jon Davison, Steve Rothery

Wow, somehow I'd forgotten all about this! I'm pretty excited about this release.

??? First time I went to bandcamp and couldn't listen to a track.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No full tracks released yet, just this teaser:

Love Dave's stuff, and for those shocked as I was when I saw the $40 price posted here, Dave explains:

Note: The higher price is because this is the high resolution 24bit 96k edition for higher quality audio listening in downloaded form and created for specifically for pre-order. The regular CD quality version will be made available for $12 at the time of release in October.
    Really looking forward to this.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Love Dave's stuff, and for those shocked as I was when I saw the $40 price posted here, Dave explains:

Note: The higher price is because this is the high resolution 24bit 96k edition for higher quality audio listening in downloaded form and created for specifically for pre-order. The regular CD quality version will be made available for $12 at the time of release in October.
    Really looking forward to this.
    Love the best recording I can get, top of the line cans + a headphone amplifier is my listening choice mode nowadays, but spending almost 4X as much for the 24bit 96k addition seems a little excessive, especially in light of my aging ears.

Hard pass.

Thanks, Jed. Nothing ground breaking there, of course, but I like it very much. I'll keep an eye out for the CD later this year.

Definitely interested in this at a more reasonable price.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Dave, I just watched the video for Crash Landing, which sounded and looked very good! I sometimes have a hard time telling when a certain guitarist is or isn't playing, especially when it's new material: is Steve Hackett playing most or all of the guitar pyrotechnics in that last fifth or so of the track? I know some of it is him, just not sure if it's all him, or even mostly him. Anyway, some really nice guitar, and the whole song sounds good, especially for just one cold listen.

And now, a couple of questions, Dave, if you don't mind:

- Have the booklets (PDF and printed) for the album already been composed and/or printed? I'm a bit late getting into this one so just wanted to know where the project is right now. Can people still get their names in the booklets in the deluxe edition and the deluxe boxed set version?

- How come on Bandcamp Steve Hackett isn't included in the list of Special Guests?

- Is the music in the Scavengers video the studio version or is it performed live?

- Another question about names in booklets: I thought that Kickstarter donors at certain levels were supposed to have their name appear in the booklet for your Static album, but they weren't in there. Was I just wrong, or was that an oversight? Sorry to ask this - whatever the answer it's fine, it was as usual a big undertaking - I've just kind of always wondered. As I said, I might have just been mistaken.

Thanks!

Jed

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Love the best recording I can get, top of the line cans + a headphone amplifier is my listening choice mode nowadays, but spending almost 4X as much for the 24bit 96k addition seems a little excessive, especially in light of my aging ears.

Hard pass.
    Hey guys! To be clear, the Hi-Res 24 bit 96k download pre-order is for TWO albums plus a third unreleased standard "concise version" (that will actually be the soundtrack to something else that's coming) AND it's in 24 bit 96k high resolution. So, it's really like $20 for each album in hi res vs. say $10-12 for regular resolution. It's not as pricey as you may think.

But, keep in mind that each album (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2) is a FULL CD and will be available on iTunes for the usual $9.99 and at higher quality (but CD 16 bit 44.1k wave, Flac and HQ mp3) for $11.99 on my bandcamp page when it's actually released mid-November (or sooner... mixing it now). Vol. 1 will be released in November I mean and Vol. 2, a whole other album that's a sequel to Vol. 1, will be available in February.

I didn't see that this thread even existed or I would have responded sooner. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys may have. But, for anyone new to this project, here are some music videos that have been released so far:

This is "Scavengers" featuring myself (Dave Kerzner = Squids) on lead vocals and keys, my SOC band mate Matt Dorsey on bass, SOC touring guitarist Randy McStine on guitar, Fernando Perdomo from my solo band on 2nd guitar and Marco Minnemann on drums (who does some amazing drumming on this album... as he does on pretty much everything).

The second music video release which just happened is for a song called "Crash Landing" that features special guest Steve Hackett plus the same core band line up as "Scavengers" (also with me singing - although I only sing lead on maybe 1/3-1/2 of the album as Gabriel Agudo from Steve Rothery Band is the other lead singer and sings a bit more than I do... but these songs set up the story and I play the "narrator").

The next music video will be on line at the end of this coming week or next Monday! Not long after that the whole album will be available digitally (and a week or so after that the CD will be shipping). Here's the web site for IN CONTINUUM to join the mailing list for touring dates and other news.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Dave, I just watched the video for Crash Landing, which sounded and looked very good! I sometimes have a hard time telling when a certain guitarist is or isn't playing, especially when it's new material: is Steve Hackett playing most or all of the guitar pyrotechnics in that last fifth or so of the track? I know some of it is him, just not sure if it's all him, or even mostly him. Anyway, some really nice guitar, and the whole song sounds good, especially for just one cold listen.
    It's funny but when I was a kid I used to put ads in the local music paper (called "Rag Magazine") looking for a guitarist and I would also put "Influences Steve Hackett, David Gilmour and Steve Howe" because, to me, for a guitar player to understand the melodic way those three play and also how interesting, innovative and expressive they play meant it would fit the style of music I like... instead of the sort of standard Eric Clapton and blues-style playing most guitar players at the time would do (and probably still... that and other generic styles). Later on in life I feel so lucky that several of the guitarists I work with totally get those styles (namely Fernando Perdomo and Randy McStine) so they naturally sound like any of those three guitarists at times... and then, in the case of Steve Hackett, I'm actually friends with him (The real deal! If I know that would happen as a kid I'd be utterly thrilled!). I've had the chance to work with him on a number of things over the last 5 or 6 years. Really incredible! Truth be told I would LOVE to work with Steve Howe and David Gilmour as well (who wouldn't?) but I don't know them. Never even met Gilmour and Howe I've seen on CTTE a bunch of times but the most communication we've had is a few words and a head nod. Still a huge fan of all three but Steve Hackett, as many of us all know, is just rare and special in how humble, kind, friendly and approachable he is. It's amazing the musical connection I have with him. As a keyboardist influenced by Tony Banks it almost feels like a bit of balanced justice in how much appreciation I have for Steve vs. how little he got from Genesis themselves. It's pretty obvious they don't see him and appreciate him the way most of us do.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts about that. The fact that Randy and Fern sometimes play like Hackett does sometimes make it a little harder to pick out Hackett's parts so I'm happy to answer a question like that for anyone interested. On "Crash Landing" Steve plays at the beginning of the song and then the guitar solo at the end and the bookend outro as well. Fernando is doing the guitar picking parts during the song. So, actually, ALL of the lead guitar on "Crash" is Hackett. Some things that sound like distorted guitar are actually me on the keyboard. I tend to distort Wurlitzers and run them through wah wahs and rotovibe effects (something I've done since the days I used to play with Kevin Gilbert & Thud... and did a lot on SOC's Dimensionaut as well).

And now, a couple of questions, Dave, if you don't mind:

- Have the booklets (PDF and printed) for the album already been composed and/or printed? I'm a bit late getting into this one so just wanted to know where the project is right now. Can people still get their names in the booklets in the deluxe edition and the deluxe boxed set version?

No the booklets aren't done yet so yes there's time to get your name in it if you get one of the backer bundle pre-orders within this coming week. Sunday will be the cutoff though as it'll probably be sent to press on that Monday (a week from today). Here's the link for anyone who wants to get those pre-orders or the standard CD pre-order: http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/merch

- How come on Bandcamp Steve Hackett isn't included in the list of Special Guests?

Oh I need to update that. I wasn't initially going to have Steve Hackett as a guest because we already had Steve Rothery from Marillion. But, I just couldn't resist. I love working with Steve Hackett! It was great to hear what he'd do on this track which is more upbeat and different than anything we've done before (like Dirty Soap Box, Stranded or Redemption).

- Is the music in the Scavengers video the studio version or is it performed live?

That's the studio version synced up to the live visuals. I did a similar thing for "Cosmic Distance Ladder" with Sound of Contact (I edited both that and this video). Although the reason I did that for Cosmic is because we had this great video footage from the people who shot Marillion (it was from us opening for the Marillion Weekend in Montreal) but no one hit record on the multi-track so we had no audio!!! It was one of many "pull your hair out" SOC moments! There were also a few SNAFUs with the ProgStock audio tracks as well for the recent In Continuum show but not that dire. Don't know if we'll have a full concert video of that show but some real live videos will probably be posted on YouTube at some point. In the meantime, those visuals will be synced to the studio audio so that we can give you something interesting to look at while listening to the songs. We have that and the back screen visuals for pretty much every song, at least for Volume 1 (the first album of two). Incidentally, though, the mix for the Scavengers video is not the final. Neither is Crash Landing actually.

- Another question about names in booklets: I thought that Kickstarter donors at certain levels were supposed to have their name appear in the booklet for your Static album, but they weren't in there. Was I just wrong, or was that an oversight? Sorry to ask this - whatever the answer it's fine, it was as usual a big undertaking - I've just kind of always wondered. As I said, I might have just been mistaken.

Donors? Only the organ donors. Just kidding. Hate that word! Haha. Yes, at different levels there were but I think I messed up and forgot one of the levels that was supposed to get that and we updated the PDF booklet plus the bonus disc had a special insert with everyone's names on that in the thank yous. Since then I've put that only at the top levels which makes it more special and also easier to manage. I always thank everyone but the individual names are mentioned at the top level tiers of crowdfunding campaigns or backer bundles with pre-orders like I'm experimenting with now.

Backers!! Not donors!

Thanks for the answers, Dave. I'll take a look at that Static bonus disk insert - I must have missed it.

Can't wait to see what Rothery throws in the pot on this album!

Backers!! Not donors!

Thanks for the answers, Dave. I'll take a look at that Static bonus disk insert - I must have missed it.

Can't wait to see what Rothery throws in the pot on this album!
    Steve Rothery does a very nice melodic solo on the next song we're releasing in a few days. But, he and Steve Hackett just do one cameo guitar solo each and that's already a lot considering Randy McStine, John Wesley and Fernando Perdomo each have their own shining guitar moments on the album, especially Randy who is the main guitarist in the band (I met him on PE btw!!!). In fact, one of the fun things about the project for Matt and I is seeing what Randy and Wes would do with this music since they were both touring guitarists with us in SOC and we never had the chance to record SOC music with them in the studio... for a good reason, though, and that's because the original guitarist on Dimensionaut, Kelly Nordstrom, had returned when we gave it another try with the same 4 man line up. It's unfortunate that those recordings and that line up didn't make it to the finish line because I thought that album would have been great. But, since it didn't happen, the silver lining for me as a songwriter, and probably for Matt Dorsey as well being co-writer on some of these, is that the songs had the chance to take different shape with Gabriel singing instead of Collins (sounds funny that doesn't? haha) and instead of just Kelly and Matt on guitar there's McStine, Wes, Perdomo, Hackett and Rothery in addition to Matt and instead of Simon on drums, who I think is a great drummer, we have Marco Minnemann and Nick D'Virgilio who are arguably two of the best progressive rock drummers in the world! So, it's a trade off. Only we know what it was going to sound like vs. what it is now. But, I'm very proud of how it came out! Or... how it's coming out because I'm deep into mixing mode this week still. My goal is to release the album digitally early next week.

Will we be able to tell from the credits who is playing on each song? That's definitely helpful when there are so many different guitarists. I know some of them have distinctive sounds, but still it sometimes helps.

Will we be able to tell from the credits who is playing on each song? That's definitely helpful when there are so many different guitarists. I know some of them have distinctive sounds, but still it sometimes helps.
    Yes, I always include that in the liner notes. But, of course, when there are multiple guitarists on a song it won't necessarily specify who is doing what. That said, I may try to differentiate a bit more such as "lead guitar" vs. "rhythm guitar or second guitar". Matt does a solo on one of the songs and Fernando chimes in with one lick that I like (because Fernando always does that... he did that on my song "Stranded" too during Steve Hackett's solo and both Tom Lord-Alge and I were delighted and annoyed that we HAD to keep it during Hackett's solo because it was too good not to... same "problem" here. Good problem to have. It's actually a compliment to Fern but still...). Anyway, Matt would like people to know that he doesn't only play bass and he's proud of his guitar solo (and it's on a song he brought in to SOC that I co-wrote and it landed on the In Continuum album) so... I already do need to think about how that's going to be worded. The artwork will be completed at the end of this week. I'll know better then. Right now I'm in mix mode.

To be honest I wasn't too excited about this band...

...until the videos hit.

WOW!!! This sounds extremely promising.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    To be honest I wasn't too excited about this band...

...until the videos hit.

WOW!!! This sounds extremely promising.
    That's a good sign because it's really the tip of the iceberg "set up" for the rest of the album.

However, about this "wasn't too excited about this band" part... haha! Seriously, though, that's really interesting and potentially even unexpected to hear but I appreciate your candor. I would think (or at least hope) that anyone who likes any of these things (at least one) would be excited about this band:

1. Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut
    2. Either of my two solo albums New World and/or Static
    3. Marco Minnemann (and Steven Wilson etc.)
    4. John Wesley (and Porcupine Tree etc.)
    5. Steve Hackett and Steve Rothery cameos
    6. Randy McStine and Lofi Resistance Chalk Lines
    7. Gabriel Agudo and either Bad Dreams or the Steve Rothery Band (he was the vocalist from both)
    8. Jon Davison and Yes (to some extent anyway)
    9. Nick D'Virgilio (and BBT or Spock's Beard where he came from or even Kevin Gilbert's Thud & Giraffe where we both came from).
    10. Pink Floyd and Genesis - probably my two biggest influences and most of our fans like both of them as well

Liking any one of those 10 things would seem to be reason enough to be at least a little bit excited about what this new band has to offer in terms of the musicians involved and what you might expect of them and the songwriting. Of course, if you don't like ANY of the above 10 things then yeah... I wouldn't imagine there'd be any excitement about it until it's heard and proven.

Just out of curiosity, I'd love to know how you or anyone else feels about those 10 things. Honest opinions, whether it's positive or negative on any of them would be great (I'm 100% solid on every one of those 10 things for myself so I know how I feel about them and that's all I can go by when I do something... I'm very proud of all of it and stand by it all! Except, of course, it's subjective so to each their own!). But, when someone says "I wasn't excited about this band" and it's the type of "super group" of known quantities going in... I really do love to know why.

If you were to ask me why I would or wouldn't be excited about a new super group type band before I heard anything is that I could say I'm skeptical about whether it's enough for just a bunch of great musicians to be combined together and the songs be strong enough. Too often it just looks good on paper but the chemistry or songwriting effort isn't as impressive as the list of people on the album. Nothing against the new super group but perhaps other bands marketed as "super groups" have perhaps burned the idea of it being enough to just have a lot of favorite musicians on board by putting out substandard albums than what those guys did from their previous projects. Although, I wouldn't say this is necessarily common but it has happened with albums that have an impressive roster of musicians.

If you don't want to indulge in this that's cool or if anyone wents to send it to me in PM that's cool too. Thanks! I look at it from an artist's point of view and also from a marketing point of view (since a lot of times, such as in my case, the artist and the label are one in the same). I think to myself... well, anyone who liked Sound of Contact would be happy to hear these songs being released finally (instead of fading away into nothing) and to hear them with guys like Marco Minnemann and Nick D'Virgilio on drums (two of the most loved drummers in Prog) is even more exciting!!! That's how it would look from my side, at least with regard to anyone who was an SOC fan (except for anyone who was only a fan of the novelty aspect of SOC and not the actual songwriting and production, or perhaps a Simon Collins solo artist fan or a mega Phil Collins fan who was only in it for the "Collins" aspect which of course we don't have apart from songs I co-wrote with Simon that are on the album still).
    Last edited by Squids; 11-07-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Downloaded the Yes Tribute thingie this morning, listening now, sounds good, I'm liking it more than Billy's CS Tribute, both very enjoyable if you're a Yes fan, the arrangements and some tempos are different which helps. Props for the vocal performances, a nice selection of artists doing very good jobs, big ups Mr Kerzner.

Just to clarify, the topic of this thread is actually a completely different original project called "In Continuum". The Yes tribute is something different and there's another whole thread on it here: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Tribute-To-Yes

That said, Jon Davison does appear on both as does Steve Hackett, myself and Fernando Perdomo. I think perhaps the post about the tributes just above was meant elsewhere as it was being discussed on both tribute threads (the one about the Chris Squire tribute and the one about ours, Yesterday and Today).

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I think perhaps the post about the tributes just above was meant elsewhere
    I think it's actually spam (the link is to a business and contains no Yes info). Brand new member, only 4 posts. Post maybe made to look like one from Bondegezou (Henry Potts)? I reported it to the moderators.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-12-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Umm, the post referencing the Yes tribute was mine, I forgot which Squids-related post I was in, no business, not a brand new member, have no idea why you're siccing the mods on me, easy now.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Umm, the post referencing the Yes tribute was mine, I forgot which Squids-related post I was in, no business, not a brand new member, have no idea why you're siccing the mods on me, easy now.
    No it wasn't you Barry. There was another person posting a suspicious link who was posing as Henry (the awesome Yes blogger). That post seems to be removed which is probably good as that was a little weird. Plus I think that person was new and only had a few posts to their name. No worries!