Thread: Opeth - Live CD/DVD Red Rocks - Nov 2nd

Opeth - Live CD/DVD Red Rocks - Nov 2nd

Opeth will release Garden of the Titans: Live at Red Rocks Amphitheatre on November 2nd via Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment. This historic event was captured for the DVD, Blu-Ray and Vinyl formats during their performance May 11th, 2017 at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Denver, CO. Both the DVD and Blu-ray formats include CDs containing the audio as well.

Pre-order in various formats:
    https://store.moderbolagetrecords.com/
    http://nuclearblast.com/opeth-gardenofthetitans

Watch the live performance of "Sorceress" on YouTube: https://youtu.be/cHt4KNTgujQ.

Video footage for Garden of the Titans was overseen by The Deka Brothers (CARPENTER BRUT, THE PRODIGY) and audio was mixed by David Castillo (KATATONIA, BLOODBATH). All versions feature the masterful artwork of revered artist Seempieces - The Art of Travis Smith (NEVERMORE, KATATONIA, TESTAMENT).

Garden of the Titans: Live at Red Rocks Amphitheatre track listing:
    01. Sorceress (live)
    02. Ghost Of Perdition (live)
    03. Demon Of The Fall (live)
    04. The Wilde Flowers (live)
    05. In My Time Of Need (live)
    06. The Devil's Orchard (live)
    07. Cusp Of Eternity (live)
    08. Heir Apparent (live)
    09. Era (live)
    10. Deliverance (live)

Man, this sounds great even on computer speakers. Thanks for sharing. I don't have much of a history with these guys, but I'll likely be picking this up.

That is WAY better than the studio version in every possible category.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I’m in!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Watched this a few times now - I did not enjoy the sound of the studio album at all, it was "thuddy", muddy, and just lacked any sort of life or sparkle, but this live version really brings out the raw power of what this tune was capable of conveying all along, but just didn't. Has a really nice edge to it, and finally has that sparkle and life. Really fookin good mates.

Sounds intriguing. I need to delve deeper into their latter-day albums. I own and love Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, and Watershed. However, they're the only band I listen to on a regular basis with death metal vocals (growling) as I prefer clean(er) sounds. Opeth scratch an itch that no other band has been able to fill for me. (I also think their logo is beautiful.)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Count me in! Hopefully this will be free of growly vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Hopefully this will be free of growly vocals?
    Not with Ghost Of Perdition, Demon Of The Fall, Heir Apparent and Deliverance in the set!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Watched this a few times now - I did not enjoy the sound of the studio album at all, it was "thuddy", muddy, and just lacked any sort of life or sparkle, but this live version really brings out the raw power of what this tune was capable of conveying all along, but just didn't. Has a really nice edge to it, and finally has that sparkle and life. Really fookin good mates.
    The production on the past few albums has felt sort of claustrophobic. Sounds like there's some breathing room on this live album. I really like the backing vox. Adds that extra oomph.

This release is relevant to my interests
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There is a video of Demon of the fall also, and you can really tell why he didn't want to do death metal vocals anymore. This DVD and CD set comes at a perfect time, because I just became really interested in the last 3 albums.

His growl sounds better here than on Royal Albert Hall, in my opinion.

I only watched a song or two on the DVD, so maybe I’m imagining something, and it could certainly be nothing, but have y’all noticed that there seems to be some extra crowd noise???

Ok. Only kidding. But I did notice that there were no close ups on Akerfeldt when he was growling. In fact, it cuts away from him as soon as he started the growled vox. Like I sez, I only watched a song or two, but it did seem odd.

But this is a great live album.

watch 3 first songs and seems the best Opeth DVD, the sound is perfect, the guitar sound of Mikael is coming out nicely. But a bit short for a band of that caliber (90 minutes...)

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    His growl sounds better here than on Royal Albert Hall, in my opinion.
    MUCH better. He almost sounds like he was sick on the RAH set.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

As usual, I'm a bit late to the party - the bluray was the final straw for my long-suffering player....it overheated and nearly melted the disc, but not before I finished my blog review!

https://momentstransition.wordpress....e-titans-2018/

Thanks for the review Valen. I have avoided this so far due to the inclusion of the death metal/growl tracks but maybe I should reconsider?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Thanks for the review Valen. I have avoided this so far due to the inclusion of the death metal/growl tracks but maybe I should reconsider?
    The split is 6 songs mellow and 4 growled.

To be honest the growls are a diminishing presence - Akerfeldt can't really do it convincingly anymore and his voice loses power on those bits. Whereas, on the clean stuff you can see him really singing his heart out and his voice soars over the guitars.

Worth at least a look, as the sheer excitement of the heavy guitar/drum action on the growled numbers outweighs the few moments of vocals.

This is good a place as any for this . . .

https://puckhcky.com/search?q=opeth

Anyone looking for some pretty sweet hockey style Opeth gear (and, like, who isn't?) should totally check out the link above. Picked up the gray raglan, but gave a long a hard look at the Swedish hockey sweater.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    This is good a place as any for this . . .

https://puckhcky.com/search?q=opeth

Anyone looking for some pretty sweet hockey style Opeth gear (and, like, who isn't?) should totally check out the link above. Picked up the gray raglan, but gave a long a hard look at the Swedish hockey sweater.
    Where is the My Arms Your Hearse gear?