Thread: JOhn McLaughlin Interview in Echoes Podcast

JOhn McLaughlin Interview in Echoes Podcast

Guitarist John McLaughlin talks psychedelic 60s, retirement and The Mahavishnu Orchestra in the Echoes Podcast. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-eqb

PS-The forthcoming album, Live in San Francisco with Jimmy Herring is killer. As raw as the original Mahavishnu Orch albeit without any of the original members except for McLaughlin.

Well, the entire concert is already out on youtube. While it's damned good I am not sure it actually is as raw as the glory days of MO.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Well, the entire concert is already out on youtube. While it's damned good I am not sure it actually is as raw as the glory days of MO.
    Are you making this judgement from cell phone videos? That's all I saw up there and they sound like crap. I saw the original MO six times and I thought the McLaughlin-Herring performances were the real deal. And I hate to say it, but I preferred the preponderance of organ over Jan Hammer-style synths.

No worries here. Enjoy! I did, but it did not quite have the bite for me. I am still getting it.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    No worries here. Enjoy! I did, but it did not quite have the bite for me. I am still getting it.
    Let's be realistic here. John McLaughlin has had an amazing career and made a great impact on both jazz, rock and world music throughout his career. It's not fair to compare a young 20 something guitar genius cutting his teeth in the golden era of music to a 76 year old man with arthritis in his fingers pondering retirement.

What John has accomplished revisiting the torrid music of his youth is an epic accomplishment at this time in his life. He is a different person now and playing with different musicians in a totally different space in time decades later where this kind of music is not applauded as it once was. The energy of the former time was infectious while today it is more reflective at best.

It's exciting to hear what John is going to bring to this music with all his life experiences etc... and I am sure this new recording will be fabulous.

But let's all do ourselves a favor and not compare the two eras, music or recordings. Enjoy each for what they are independent of the other.

I think it was cool to hear Jonny Mac reflecting on the early days of progressive Jazz Rock
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Guitarist John McLaughlin talks psychedelic 60s, retirement and The Mahavishnu Orchestra in the Echoes Podcast. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-eqb

Thanks for posting this Echoes. It's a great interview with John McLaughlin as he reflects on his pioneering work.