Thread: Meteor in Russia

Meteor in Russia

I did a search thinking there had to be a thread on this but did not find one. I'm wondering how it came to be that we knew about one meteor which would pass by closely but never heard anything about one which wouls enter our atmosphere? Think I'll go play Watcher of the Skies.

Yeah, it's weird. Apparently they were completely unrelated? Doesn't seem possible...

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I did a search thinking there had to be a thread on this but did not find one. I'm wondering how it came to be that we knew about one meteor which would pass by closely but never heard anything about one which wouls enter our atmosphere? Think I'll go play Watcher of the Skies.
    The one we knew about was an asteroid about 100 times larger than the one over Russia. It was discovered in the night sky a while ago and tracked. Totally unrelated. Pure coincidence.

Although, some crazy Russian politician is alleging it was US weapons testing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Footage is amazing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not to say I believe the conspiracy theory, but can you think of a better time for a weapons test? Can't imagine what it would have been intended to prove though.

Seems more likely it IS somehow related to the larger one, they just don't fully understand how and had not detected it.

But I haven't read any articles about it, so what do I know...

I don't doubt it is unrelated, tehy came from diffeent directions. I was just wondering why it wasn't noticed as well. Perhaps as ronmac says, it was too small to notice. Do they know what size it was prior to exploding?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Not to say I believe the conspiracy theory, but can you think of a better time for a weapons test? Can't imagine what it would have been intended to prove though.

Seems more likely it IS somehow related to the larger one, they just don't fully understand how and had not detected it.

But I haven't read any articles about it, so what do I know...
    Well, it would have been a lousy location for a weapons test, unless one wanted to provoke a war. Putin is scary enough. We don't need to give him something like that.

Based on a few interviews with experts I've seen, there's no relation to the two incidents. They were 14 hours apart, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I don't doubt it is unrelated, tehy came from diffeent directions. I was just wondering why it wasn't noticed as well. Perhaps as ronmac says, it was too small to notice. Do they know what size it was prior to exploding?
    It was about the size of an SUV. It happened in the daylight, which is much more difficult to see. Certainly, too small to see and track in outer space.

The asteroid was bout the size of an olympic swimming pool. I believe it's about 150 feet wide.
    Last edited by ronmac; 02-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Feet, yes...

14 hours seems like microseconds on the cosmic scale. But I didn't know they came from different directions...so yeah, ridiculously unlikely they were related. What a mind-bogglingly strange coincidence though.

I was watching this guy last night:

Neil deGrasse Tyson

He said what's been stated already here. The meteor was unrelated to the asteroid, and it came in from a different direction completely.

Feet, yes...

14 hours seems like microseconds on the cosmic scale. But I didn't know they came from different directions...so yeah, ridiculously unlikely they were related. What a mind-bogglingly strange coincidence though.
    Corrected to 150 feet.

One thing that is VERY interesting is that the difference between the asteroid hitting us and passing by like it did was only 15 minutes. Think about how close we came to devastation.

Sobering to think about how many times asteroids struck the Earth in the past, with devastating effects,and knowing that the question isn't if, it's when it'll happen again.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One thing that is VERY interesting is that the difference between the asteroid hitting us and passing by like it did was only 15 minutes. Think about how close we came to devastation.
    Very interesting, and (as walt said) very sobering.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The weapons test theory doesn't hold water.
    1. We have drones that can take out targets much more stealthily.
    2. Why would we test a weapon over rural Russia that explodes in the air and breaks windows? Our military does more damage than that to its own soldiers.
    3. (As Ron pointed out) What possible good would it do us to try to provoke a war with Russia?

As an astronomy nut, I am fascinated with meteors approaching the Earth. It is only our atmosphere that keeps Earth from being as pockmarked with craters as our Moon is. I'm sorry this large meteor got close enough to hurt people. But instead of pointing fingers, we should realize that we are all in this together. No country is immune to the same thing happening there. Scientists have the ability to track asteroids and can know well in advance how close to Earth they will come. No one can track all the little bits of space debris that may or may not enter the Earth's atmosphere as meteors. Even if we could, its a crap shoot guessing which ones will come close to the surface. And even if we knew that, we lack the technology and speed to stop one before it hit. Be thankful these occurrences are rare.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The weapons test theory doesn't hold water.
    1. We have drones that can take out targets much more stealthily.
    2. Why would we test a weapon over rural Russia that explodes in the air and breaks windows? Our military does more damage than that to its own soldiers.
    3. (As Ron pointed out) What possible good would it do us to try to provoke a war with Russia?
    Well, as I said earlier, I'm not a proponent of the conspiracy theory or weapons test theory, but just because I can't resist the temptation to play devil's advocate here I'll respond...

1.) Drones are more stealthy than an attack that is potentially disguised as a natural phenomenon?
    2.) Maybe the breaking of windows is a secondary effect. Maybe it's testing a method of raining down radioactive material or airborne pathogens.
    3.) If it's believed to be a natural phenomenon it wouldn't provoke a war.

We have your bunker ready for you Mr Plasmatopia
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, as I said earlier, I'm not a proponent of the conspiracy theory or weapons test theory, but just because I can't resist the temptation to play devil's advocate here I'll respond...

1.) Drones are more stealthy than an attack that is potentially disguised as a natural phenomenon?
    2.) Maybe the breaking of windows is a secondary effect. Maybe it's testing a method of raining down radioactive material or airborne pathogens.
    3.) If it's believed to be a natural phenomenon it wouldn't provoke a war.
    Those are pretty cool ideas to offset suspicion of an attack. What is your thought on the "meteor" striking the one place on the planet with the most dashcams?
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I was wondering why all those people have dashcams.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I was wondering why all those people have dashcams.
    I heard part of an explanation on NPR that it is so common to be in traffic accidents there and be sued with false accusations that almost everyone has a dashcam for their own protection. You would not think that after the fall of communism in Russia they would adopt one of the worst things about western culture - rampant lawyers and out-of-control litigation.

------------------

Here is an article that states that San Francisco and Cuba also experienced similar phenomena to the meteor over Russia. This is proof of an attack by fascist imperialist United States on several leftist parts of the world within a short time period.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-region...084058192.html

Here is an article on the preponderance of dashcams in Russian vehicles:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-meteor-videos

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We have your bunker ready for you Mr Plasmatopia
    Thanks! If I'd known I was only one paranoid rant away from getting a free one I wouldn't have waited so long!