Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gosta berlings Saga - Et Ex

New Gosta berlings Saga - Et Ex

I haven't seen it mentioned on the forum yet but there is a pre order available for the new Gosta Berligns Saga album

See : https://www.gostaberlingssaga.com/

Loved the last one so looking forward to the new one.

Love them all! Auto buy! Thanks for sharing!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Will definitely keep an eye out for this. I still like the debut best and they've become progressively less interesting to me with each subsequent release, though I still like all three albums. Hoping for something to shake it up a bit on this one.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Autobuy, great band, love the last 3. I'm in.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    though I still like all three albums
    They have four, Bill - which one are you forgetting?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They have four, Bill - which one are you forgetting?
    Sersophane! Totally spaced it. Can't really remember a thing about it just now. Will spin it tonight. Jeez, guess it didn't make much of an impression.

Bill

I love Glue Works
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I love Glue Works
    I like parts of it, but I really dislike the last track on that album, and that sort of spoils it for me.

Bill

Sersophane! Totally spaced it. Can't really remember a thing about it just now. Will spin it tonight. Jeez, guess it didn't make much of an impression.

Bill
    The title track on this one is killer imo. It has that moody, overcast Scandinavian thing happening for me (honestly though, much of their music does as well). The muted staccato guitar at the beginning draws me right in. Gets heavy too. Spin it again.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The title track on this one is killer imo. It has that moody, overcast Scandinavian thing happening for me (honestly though, much of their music does as well). The muted staccato guitar at the beginning draws me right in. Gets heavy too. Spin it again.
    Already dug it out, it will get a spin tonight.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new one as well. The only thing that has me sad is that I thought their guitarist on #2-4 (Einar Baldursson) was terrifically great and he left the band and their new guitarist is on #5.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing the new one as well. The only thing that has me sad is that I thought their guitarist on #2-4 (Einar Baldursson) was terrifically great and he left the band and their new guitarist is on #5.
    Ditto.

the first one is just ok... guess it was a demo; after that, the next 4 are all excellent!

autobuy!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    excellent news
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Is this short for "Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum"?

(If you type "et ex" into Google, this is the sixth auto-complete result. The third is "et extra testicle." Make of that what you will.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm onboard with 2-4. I haven't heard the first.

My favorite GBS albums are Detta har Hänt and Glue works. Hard to choose between the two. Sersophane I would place just behind those two but I still find the album very engaging. The first is my least favorite although I still like it quite a bit. It lacks a bit of own face imho.

Have all four, love the second and third especially. Will grab the new one for sure!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My favorite GBS albums are Detta har Hänt and Glue works. Hard to choose between the two. Sersophane I would place just behind those two but I still find the album very engaging. The first is my least favorite although I still like it quite a bit. It lacks a bit of own face imho.
    Most interesting. As I mentioned, the debut is my favorite, followed by Detta har Hänt. Out of curiosity, you do you feel GBS sound like on the debut? Other than sounding a bit like Klotet (or Klotet sounding a bit like them), GBS sounded pretty original to me right out of the gate.

The thing I miss most on the albums after the first one are those infectious melodies that are so seamlessly integrated with the looser material. They hint at that on later albums, but never again catch the overall energy and enthusiasm of the songs on Tid är Ljud. I also don't think they ever followed up on the promise of Tog du med dig naturen?, with that hypnotic repetition that cleverly avoids getting boring. Obviously just my opinion, other feel differently. But for me, Tid är Ljud is a true gem and one I never tire of playing.

I did spin Sersophane last night. OK album, but really nothing jumped out at me and demanded my attention. I also got a kind of "heard it all before" feeling from this one, it just doesn't sound fresh to me like the first two. Which is why I think they need to shake it up a little on this new one, though I'm not sure in quite what way. I'm not broken-heated about them having a new guitarist, maybe some fresh blood will rejuvenate them, for my ears anyway. I'm going to leave Sersophane out and spin it some more, and hope it catches me, but I had literally forgotten this album existed, and listening last night, I sort of see why.

Bill

Out of curiosity, you do you feel GBS sound like on the debut?
    The first one sounds like the most 'traditional' prog album, at least to my ears. Kinda sounds like an instrumental first era kaipa, or a mix between Samla and Camel.

I lke the album. Just not as much as the other 3.

The first one sounds like the most 'traditional' prog album, at least to my ears. Kinda sounds like an instrumental first era kaipa, or a mix between Samla and Camel.

Interesting. Not sure I'd have made any of those comparisons (maybe a bit of Samla now that you say it), but if that's what you hear, then I can see why you feel as you do. I would basically agree with you that Tid är Ljud is the most "traditional" of the four, though I'm not sure I can put my finger on what territory they're moving into on the later albums. But I'm sure Tid är Ljud's orientation toward "traditional" Prog Rock is at the root of why I like it so much, because that is where my musical heart truly lies.

Bill

I agree.
    The 1st album is good, but it could be an yone of a number of prog rock bands on the debut.

After that, they could only be GBS.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-15-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I enjoyed the first one when it came out but each one after seemed to get better. My favorites being Detta Har Hant and Glue Works. Enjoyed the last one but it didn't have as long a shelf life for me as the previous 2.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It should be out there now. Anyone heared the new one yet?

Too bad its on insideout. That means no bandcamp [emoji53]. I will wait ordering this from insideout untill the new Gungfly is available too.