Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gosta berlings Saga - Et Ex

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It should be out there now. Anyone heared the new one yet?

Too bad its on insideout. That means no bandcamp
    Well, I'm glad they got signed to that label, but yes, a big thumbs down, regarding no bandcamp, as that is how I buy the majority of my releases.

neil

I've been enjoying it. Glad to see the band trying something a little different instead of making another Detta Har Hänt or Glue Works. There's even a track with vocals.

Got it two days ago. I'm not over impressed. The new guitarist is just OK but not outstanding, and so far it doesn't grab me in the way the first two and last one did (Glue Works is only so-so in my opinion). The second track is probably the best until the vocals come in -and they're awful -just shouting, you can't hear any of the words. If I'm to play that one again, I'll have to fade it before the vocals come in. I'll give it a few more plays before I come to a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It should be out there now. Anyone heared the new one yet?

Too bad its on insideout. That means no bandcamp [emoji53]. I will wait ordering this from insideout untill the new Gungfly is available too.
    Probably no vinyl release either right?

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Probably no vinyl release either right?
    It's on vinyl.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm reading things I don't like here: No Bandcamp, vocals.... I'll have to sample before buying...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Good band. I fell in love with Detta Her Hant and Glue Works. Sersophane left me a little meh.
    Either way I'll be picking this up!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the first one is just ok... guess it was a demo; after that, the next 4 are all excellent!

autobuy!
    Re-reading these earlier posts makes me realise there was an album before Tid Ar Ljud called 2005, which was a self-released CD-R. (https://www.discogs.com/G%C3%B6sta-B...elease/6619369 ) I've never heard it, but it may well be of demo quality - some comments about their first album being like a demo or being more generic than their later ones now make sense. I thought it was Tid Ar Ljud that was being discussed -thats a great album that doesn't sound like anyone else to me -just a hint of Canterbury or Samla perhaps, but still very much an original album. If anyone knows where I could hear 2005, I'd be glad to hear it!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm reading things I don't like here: No Bandcamp, vocals.... I'll have to sample before buying...
    Vocals are very minor, come in for last 45 seconds of a 5 minute track.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Gave it a listen today. Very Gosta Berlings Saga.
    Also picked up hints of Jaga Jazzist.
    The song Brus Från Stan is a little jarring, but at around 1:40 it is easy to get by.
    Pulsing grooves abound.
    I like it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I quite enjoyed Glue Works, but never really connected with Sersophane. So color me skeptical, but eager to read reviews and reactions here.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Been a fan of GBS from the start. A very interesting band and I enjoy all of their albums alot. Et Ex may however very well be their strongest yet and the band is obviously full of ideas. Yes, it's quite different and perhaps will divide us fans. I, for one, love that they're not afraid of experimentation within the universe of sounds and styles. I've had it for about a week now and it's now my favourite GBS album. Think GBS meets Tangerine Dream/Kraftwerk/Jaga Jazzist, but still there's so much more. Just can't stop playing it.

Flag on this new release.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The more I play it, the more I love it! This is frekkin' hilariously awesome in my World. Album of the year contender!

Got this Friday, given it a couple of listens. Hmmmm. Not loving it so far. I don't mind them taking a somewhat different direction as I've not been bowled over by the past couple of albums. But I'm having difficulty hearing anything particularly special here. Sounds like a soundtrack album to me. It's OK as background music, but when I focus on it, it gets boring fast. My wife is super disappointed, and she really likes GBS. I haven't given up, but it's not looking good. Maybe GBS comes off of autobuy after this?

Bill

TBH, it's been spinning all week, and I popped it out yesterday, and I won't return to it for quite a while....

First two/three tracks are great, then it veers Tangerine Dreamy, then Kraftwerky/early 80's electro-pop, and I've been WTF'ing everytime we reach the end of the album. The next one will not be auto-buy for sure.

I've got all five of their albums and I'd rank them this way:
    Their first two albums about equal atop
    Sersophane
    Glue Works
    Et Ex
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, it's been spinning all week, and I popped it out yesterday, and I won't return to it for quite a while....

First two/three tracks are great, then it veers Tangerine Dreamy, then Kraftwerky/early 80's electro-pop, and I've been WTF'ing everytime we reach the end of the album. The next one will not be auto-buy for sure.
    Just gave this a 4th spin. Wow, am I ever not liking this album. I don't even like the first 2/3 tracks. The whole thing is a snoozefest to me, though I guess it makes OK background music as I rapidly lose interest but it drones on and I'm not compelled to shut it off. Will put it up for a while and give it a shot later, but this may be boner pile for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've got all five of their albums and I'd rank them this way:
    Their first two albums about equal atop
    Sersophane
    Glue Works
    Et Ex
    Yeah, pretty much where I'm at. After this album I may whittle it down to just those first two. The others don't really do much for me, and this new one is just a major turnoff for me. Whatever.

Bill

OK album, but nothing special. Still their first two are their best.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Not a fan of this one either.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Count me as a passenger on this train, as well.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I thought their previous record was mildly disappointing after the first three, with Detta and Glue my faves. It lacked the edge and attack of those earlier releases, adding even less.

But this new one doesn't cut it at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think it is just ok.

Really like track 2 and 4, the last track is good to.

The rest.. meh. At least they try new things. Cant please everyone I guess.

Interesting to read some of your opinions on this new one. Perhaps I'll hold off for a while.

track 6 is great... wish the rest of the album was as good
    track 8 is ok too
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Wow. I just sampled the song "Fundament", and this is like listening to Tangerine Dream. Not that I don't like TD. However Very different from "Glue Works".