Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The Musical Box - A Genesis Extravaganza

I must say they were 3 of the best tracks played but you still get a lot of other great tracks, including one from the Gabriel-era that Genesis themselves never played live.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "CU" being "Can-Utility and the Coastliners."
    Can Utility was insanely good when i saw them in PHX two years ago,

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "CU" being "Can-Utility and the Coastliners."
    thank you. Love those songs, but if you're lucky enough to have the Musical Box come near where you live, feel grateful for that.
    We saw them perform the Lamb at the Royal Oak Theater when we lived in Michigan, but down here in Florida we might as well live in the North Pole as far as having them tour here.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I must say they were 3 of the best tracks played but you still get a lot of other great tracks, including one from the Gabriel-era that Genesis themselves never played live.
    "After the Ordeal"?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "After the Ordeal"?
    I am not at liberty to disclose, in order to not be a spoiler.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

[QUOTE=Scott Bails;888444]

Some of you are really taking this personally. The reason you want to hear them is the reason why he doesn't know them. They're not exactly the most popular songs in their catalog.

Scott, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I made the "he knew the other 23 tunes"... I kinda doubt he did. Other than us here I wouldn't say there is much they are playing that is from the popular Genesis catalog.

I've seen TMB 25 times or so and they have played Can Utility once! I personally think it is one of the best Genesis tunes ever. It has everything that made them great in my opinion and in less than 6 minutes. 12 stings, Melllotron, bass pedals... quite bits and crescendos. Just an amazing tune I was looking forward to hearing again along with the other two.

And I would agree with the others, see them if you haven't and have the chance to now.

I saw TMB last night in Cleveland. A few observations, hopefully without spoilers...

1) Only the 2nd time I've seen them, the first being around 3 years ago when they recreated the Trick Of The Tail tour. It's hard to believe that this is the same vocalist. His voice did not seem as strong, and he definitely did better on the Gabriel parts than the Collins parts.

2) It was the first gig with the new replacement drummer, the one-man Genesis guy. I thought he did a very credible job. I was never wowed to the point of thinking "this guy's amazing," and I was never turned off to the point of thinking "this guy's really sloppy" or "he can't cut it." He was fine.

3) I counted 5 (!) songs that they did that Genesis never played live. This for me was easily the coolest element of the concert.

4) Geezers gotta get up a lot. The crowd was mostly white heads, a little older than me. I'm almost 58. I didn't buy a ticket when they first went on sale, deciding at a later date to attend. I was in the mezzanine 6 rows from the back, and was "smart" enough to purchase an aisle seat, for more room and easy access. Not good. It was like a fucking mass migration. People moving up and down the aisle throughout most of the show. And the talking! Jeezus H, I thought you guys were here to see a concert? Really, really disappointed with the audience. Worst aspect of the show. I'll never make the mistake of waiting to purchase again. It'll be first or 2nd day of sale from now on.

5) One of the Guards of Magog was in attendance. (Yes, really.) Hopefully the costume was part of his treatment regimen.

Overall a plus, so glad I went.

Actually, it's the get up on the cover of Genesis Live.

He had his whole gang with him…

Where do I get these!?!?

TMB just posted some fresh dates for early next year on the UK. Described as Genesis Extravaganza Part 2....

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Where do I get these!?!?
    https://store.realworld.co.uk/produc...gabriel/magog/

or even more here:

https://www.musicalbrick.com/store/m...peter-gabriel/

Holy shit! Something for every obsessive Genesis and Gabriel freak.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

At that price......maybe no....

Wow. That ranks among the greatest things I've ever seen.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    At that price......maybe no....
    Yikes! You ain't kiddin'!

Great stuff, though.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

4) And the talking! Jeezus H, I thought you guys were here to see a concert? Really, really disappointed with the audience. Worst aspect of the show. .
    That happens at every concert nowadays. People think whatever stupid conversation they're having is more important than the music. And if you ask someone to be quiet, they give you an attitude.

First time I saw The Musical Box was probably in 2003, I think, and I went up to Buffalo to see them. So during Firth Of Fifth, there's this guy standing behind me talking about how "Before I heard STeve Hackett, I couldn't even conceive of the guitar being played that way". He's carrying on like this, during the Firth Of Fifth guitar solo.

Another one I remember were the two jackasses at the King Crimson show a couple years ago you had to be asked by about four different people to shut up, and they still kept on talking. When someone confronted them during the intermission, they were like "Oh, we can't promise we won't talk". The frell is your major malfunction?! First of all, you're being rude to the musicians onstage. Secondly, you're being rude to the people around you who paid their money to hear the band, not stupid frelling yoru conversation. Secondly, you've had four different ask you to SHUT THE FUCK UP, STUPID?!?!?!? What part of your being makes it impossible for you to KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !

And then you know who got chewed out by house security? Me, because I kinda went off on the two dumb fucks during the intermission, and the usher decided to call security, who didn't show up until after the second set had started. I had calmed down by that time, but the moronic security guard asking me "Don't they have a right to have a conversation" pissed me off all over again. Really?! I paid 60 bucks to get into a concert, and I don't get to listen to the music, I gotta listen to two stupid, shit for brains, probably drunk and who knows what else ASSHOLES chattering through the whole show?! Because YOU don't want to do your FRELLING JOB?!

FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!!!!

SO, since I didn't go last night (I forgot about the show until Facebook reminded me yesterday morning, and I just wasn't in the mood), is there some place where I can find the setlist?

And my apologies for the rant. But talkative audiences is a sensitive subject for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And my apologies for the rant. But talkative audiences is a sensitive subject for me.
    No apology needed. I think we all understand and agree.

SO, since I didn't go last night (I forgot about the show until Facebook reminded me yesterday morning, and I just wasn't in the mood), is there some place where I can find the setlist?
    MILD SPOILER ALERT

I didn't write down the set-list, Chris, but I can tell you that the show was divided into 3 "Acts,": 1) Trick/Wind 2) Lamb 3) Pre-Lamb (in that order)

Just google The musical Box setlist it will come up at:

setlist.fm

great site

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Can Utility was insanely good when i saw them in PHX two years ago,
    Agreed, I've seen than many times and they only played it once... a show stopper! and I see it is back in the set list as of last night!

Check this one out... I've seen another one with a stage

https://www.musicalbrick.com/the-lig...ge-guest-post/