Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Musical Box - A Genesis Extravaganza

It's been a while since I've seen them (passed up on the last 5 or 6 times they came in my area),and I could envisage the Liege show or an Amsterdam passage.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Gagne just isn't quite as convincing as Phil, bad fake beard, not same voice timber etc. Musically it was still good though.
    While agree on your comments, I didn't feel it took away from the show which was great. I wish they would to this again.

That's why one click of The Musical Box website answers all those questions, which is the point of my post.
    Yes, and the point of my post was that not everyone thinks of that kind of stuff. A lot of people just assume when you say "Genesis tribute band", that means they're going to be doing Invisible Touch, Turn It On Again, etc. I still think the vast majority of people still don't savvy the difference between Genesis circa 1970-1977 and Genesis circa 1978-1992. The idea that the a Genesis tribute wouldn't do the trio hits probably doesn't even occur to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes, and the point of my post was that not everyone thinks of that kind of stuff. A lot of people just assume when you say "Genesis tribute band", that means they're going to be doing Invisible Touch, Turn It On Again, etc. I still think the vast majority of people still don't savvy the difference between Genesis circa 1970-1977 and Genesis circa 1978-1992. The idea that the a Genesis tribute wouldn't do the trio hits probably doesn't even occur to a lot of people.
    Well, sure, you can't fix stupid. That's a given.

By the way, if people were going to see The Musical Box, and were THAT completely oblivious to the Gabriel era of the band, wouldn't their first clue be---the name of the band? And if people were really that unfamiliar with the classic era of Genesis, why would they even notice a Genesis tribute band called The Musical Box when they would most likely not even know that song? And wouldn't a normal reasonable person who saw the name The Musical Box--a Genesis Tribute Band--and was unfamiliar with it--at least be inquisitive enough to click on a link to see what this strangely named band was all about before spending $$ on tix?

I realize there are millions of people who walk around in a complete and utter fog all day, but do we really need to be making excuses for their idiocy?
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-17-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I admit the fake beard is off putting but the music is great. I'm looking forward, in the way off future, to seeing the Musical Box in January in 2019. I'm taking my girlfriend, who knows very little about progressive rock, so I'm really hoping she likes it.

Yes, and the point of my post was that not everyone thinks of that kind of stuff. A lot of people just assume when you say "Genesis tribute band", that means they're going to be doing Invisible Touch, Turn It On Again, etc.
    No "Turn It On Again", no true Genesis concert.

Had an elder guy sitting next to me once in a Jethro Tull concert who was
    irritated that this wasn't a concert of classical barock flute music…

He still made it through 75% of the gig before leaving...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I admit the fake beard is off putting but the music is great. I'm looking forward, in the way off future, to seeing the Musical Box in January in 2019. I'm taking my girlfriend, who knows very little about progressive rock, so I'm really hoping she likes it.
    may be good to get her up to speed before taking a deep dive like that. my girlfriend has come to enjoy most music I like and likes going to shows with me but she also likes to watch the audience and she'll always point out some couple where the guy is blissfully rocking out and his partner is sitting looking dead eyed and she always imagines it is their first (and last) date.

Well I do wish you luck!

When we saw TMB do the Lamb show at Massey Hall some years back, my buddy brought his girlfriend who knows nothing of this kind of music - and she did not enjoy it. I believe "way too long" was the phrase she used to describe it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Okay, now i'm worrying a little!

I introduced her to Supertramp's Crime and she quite liked it. We're going to see Roger Hodgson in the Fall. I gave her Eldorado by ELO to listen to and she said it sounded weird. I just thought, Oh no! I just thought she'd get caught up with the fan appreciation of the show and find something to like. I'm thinking I first need to introduce her to some old Genesis.

I wouldn't start with Eldorado for ELO... Maybe ELO 2 or On The Third Day, Face The Music, NWR or the double thingie Out of the Blue

For Genesis, I'd start with ToTT or W&W
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I introduced her to Supertramp's Crime and she quite liked it. We're going to see Roger Hodgson in the Fall. I gave her Eldorado by ELO to listen to and she said it sounded weird. I just thought, Oh no! I just thought she'd get caught up with the fan appreciation of the show and find something to like. I'm thinking I first need to introduce her to some old Genesis.
    I just saw Roger two weeks ago or so... she should love that show. He has a top notch band and his voice is as good as ever. Great set list as well!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The idea that a Genesis tribute wouldn't do the trio hits probably doesn't even occur to a lot of people.
    If you can even call them people.

Just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I wouldn't start with Eldorado for ELO... Maybe ELO 2 or On The Third Day, Face The Music, NWR or the double thingie Out of the Blue

For Genesis, I'd start with ToTT or W&W
    wind and wuthering not a bad pick think that is what I gave my girlfriend as her first intro to older genesis (I mentioned genesis once early on and she mentioned she knew the hits). I also showed her one of the videos of them doing suppers ready with all the costumes and she enjoyed that (so guess I shoulda asked her to marry me then instead of waiting 7 years)

Got my tix for February 9 here in their hometown. A birthday gift from Barb. (My birthday is the 11th of Feb).
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

If they ever return to NYC, I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire1977!! View Post
    If they ever return to NYC, I will be there.
    Surely you mean, "If they're ever Back in NYC..."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    wind and wuthering not a bad pick think that is what I gave my girlfriend as her first intro to older genesis (I mentioned genesis once early on and she mentioned she knew the hits). I also showed her one of the videos of them doing suppers ready with all the costumes and she enjoyed that (so guess I shoulda asked her to marry me then instead of waiting 7 years)
    Better late than never!

I would advise not taking her to the show if that's possible. If you've ever seen Gabriel era concert footage or been to one of those shows, you'll notice there are very few women in the audience, and there are reasons for that.
    It wasn't until Phil took over vocals and the music changed, women started enjoying the music and concerts, and by the time Phil released his solo album, you really started seeing guys with dates, other than "buds" like in the early Genesis concerts.
    I can pretty much guarantee she won't get into them, it will make you feel uncomfortable and probably ruin the night for both of you, and worst scenario an argument.
    If you still feel you'd like to give it a try, I'd start by introducing her to some of the classic genesis material by listening to Seconds Out. Phil singing some of the classics might make it more interesting for her, and a softer introduction to the music.

A good fake beard doesn't look fake. I've seen photos of his appearance doing Phil and it almost looks TOO fake, like as in a big joke.
    Maybe they should invest in a really good beard, a bit softer looking, and spend the amount of time/money into looking as real as the entire show/instruments/lighting and props.
    *My wife and I got to see them do The Lamb at the Royal Oak Theater in Michigan, great show!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Tickets for Tarrytown, NY go on sale this week (what day depends on your level of membership).

Where are you seeing US dates for this upcoming tour? Their website just has Canada so far.

Where are you seeing US dates for this upcoming tour? Their website just has Canada so far.
    Good question! I’m a member and got it in an email from the venue today. Hackett has played the same venue several times so maybe there’s some connection? I was kind of surprised to get the email.

Well, there are two Toronto dates available, but the prices range from $73-$115. I'll have to pass.

neil

Steve Hackett plays Birmingham Symphony Hall (UK) on Fri 5th October.
    His next gig is then on the Sun 7th in Gateshead (UK).
    The Musical Box play Birmingham Symphony Hall (UK) on Sat 6th October.
    Steve likes to put in guest appearances...

I've got tickets for both Symphony Hall gigs .... and my fingers firmly crossed

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Tickets for Tarrytown, NY go on sale this week (what day depends on your level of membership).
    My usual preferred seating acquired! Tix for "Premium Members" went on sale yesterday, for regular members just now. Not a bad price - even with the fees (which includes a donation for theater restoration) $61.