Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Rockers who were/are Masons

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn’t know Mormons wore special underwear until I heard about Rick Perry’s special underwear.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn’t know Mormons wore special underwear until I heard about Rick Perry’s special underwear.
    I don't think he's a Mormon.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Fripp's interest in Gurdjieff (have I spelt that right?) is several levels of weird esoteric nonsense.

Henry
    Fripp seems to go to a lot of Catholic, Anglican or Orthodox monastic retreats. Not sure which ones. I wonder if he has a Christian side.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't think he's a Mormon.
    Oops, I meant Mitt! Perry's the one with the racist hunting camp.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    There are no really secret teachings in Sufism or Kabbalah either; just things most people don't know but could easily find out for themselves by reading up a bit. Oh, yes, there are practices that lead to "mystical experiences," but those practices are not particularly secret either.

Nonetheless, they are esoteric.

A really good example of esotericism is alchemy. Everything in a serious alchemical text is in a code that must be cracked to follow the real instructions (as opposed to the ones apparently in the text).
    Right, in light of the mainstream teachings and practices of Islam and Judaism, they are inward-looking, contemplative traditions, that are more focused on knowing and learning about the divine, in contrast to focusing primarily on living an ethical life and fulfilling obligations. Before printed books, these traditions did have a more structurally esoteric component based necessarily upon how knowledge was transmitted: from a master to a small group of disciples. In the information age, this model seems quaint, and the teachings Sufis and Kabbalists can be readily accessed by those who want to know.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Well, to get to the point, let me just mention the obvious ones: Jon Anderson was a follower of Yoginanda, Fripp was into some form of Gurdijeff-ism and Peter Gabriel was an avid student of Jung's alchemical texts. That's pretty much the bedrock of prog right there. And the list goes on, but I'll be curious to see who gets a mention. BeBop Deluxe's Bill Nelson was brought up, a pretty famous example of a prog rock mystic.

Chick Corea, Billy Sheehan, a.o. - Scientology
    John MacLaughlin, Michael Walden, a.o. - Hinduism of some sorts

According to Frank Zappa, the only difference between a cult and a religion is real estate.
    Usually the inventor of a cult is still alive.

Banned
    Not that you did, but comparing Scientology to Hinduism is like comparing a bucket of warm vomit to Lake Baikal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Well, to get to the point, let me just mention the obvious ones: Jon Anderson was a follower of Yoginanda, Fripp was into some form of Gurdijeff-ism and Peter Gabriel was an avid student of Jung's alchemical texts. That's pretty much the bedrock of prog right there. And the list goes on, but I'll be curious to see who gets a mention. BeBop Deluxe's Bill Nelson was brought up, a pretty famous example of a prog rock mystic.
    Probably influenced by Fripp David Sylvian was into Gurdijeff too, especially during the Gone To Earth-days (inspired by J G Bennett).

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Not that you did, but comparing Scientology to Hinduism is like comparing a bucket of warm vomit to Lake Baikal IMO.
    cant believe this thread is still going!

while I'm not into either, I would have to caution against attacking *any* belief systems (yes, even Evolutionism) as there very well could be someone here that would get angered by your attack... HTH
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Probably influenced by Fripp David Sylvian was into Gurdijeff too, especially during the Gone To Earth-days (inspired by J G Bennett).
    As was Van Morrison

DtB

J G Bennett talks on a couple of tracks on Fripp's Exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    cant believe this thread is still going!

while I'm not into either, I would have to caution against attacking *any* belief systems (yes, even Evolutionism) as there very well could be someone here that would get angered by your attack... HTH
    Calling "Evolutionism" a belief system is like calling gravity a belief system.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Although I agree with you, atheism has also been called that, I think you will either extend this discussion to oblivion, or risk the end of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ...or risk the end of this thread.
    Geez, what a tragedy that would be!

with the glaring exception that gravity can be proven
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

with the glaring exception that gravity can be proven
    Evolution is well and thoroughly proven. Educate yourself.

^^^ And the main tenets of evolution have been proven... Over and over. Scientists only quibble about the details. I have no beef against your or anyone's religious views. Peace.

Evolution is well and thoroughly proven. Educate yourself.
    you would do well to take your own advise. Start with understanding "the scientific method" for proving anything

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    you would do well to take your own advise. Start with understanding "the scientific method" for proving anything
    Yup, that's been applied and supports evolution.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, the whole mapping of the human genome was based on an evolutionary understanding of Biology. That's hardly the only proof, but it's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^ If that doesn't prove it, nothing does.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like ham sandwiches. Mmmm.

I want to save this thread from the delete button since it seems to be rapidly deteriorating into a "beliefs/religion are stupid" kind of thing.
    This is some of what professor Susan Fast had to say about the subject of progressive rock/esotericism in her book "Houses of the Holy":

Skjermbilde 2018-08-15 kl. 23.53.20.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images