Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Rock

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Isn't post rock the music that the mail carrier and his co-workers jam out when they get off work?
    No, that’s Yacht Rock.

Actually, I shouldn’t say that as one of our letter carriers wears his hair in a reggae hair sack thing. Government rasta mon!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Isn't post rock the music that the mail carrier and his co-workers jam out when they get off work?
    No, silly. It's Rock music produced by one of America's largest cereal companies.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I love this and their other album Five Pieces. Never occurred to me to think of them as post-rock. Definite influence of minimalism though.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Tortoise
    Mogwai
    Explosions In The Sky
    Miasma & The Carousel Of Headless Horses

^These bands mentioned above are among my favorite post rock. I would also add 'Friends Of Dean Martinez.'
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I love this and their other album Five Pieces. Never occurred to me to think of them as post-rock. Definite influence of minimalism though.
    I wasn't sure this qualified as post-rock.I threw it in the ring cause i thought it was close enough.Wouldn't bother me if people said it wasn't really post-rock.I'm seldom sure about these labels and categories.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I wasn't sure this qualified as post-rock.I threw it in the ring cause i thought it was close enough.Wouldn't bother me if people said it wasn't really post-rock.I'm seldom sure about these labels and categories.
    Oh, me too. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were wrong about them being post-rock, I've only got the shakiest handle on what it means beyond the obvious names myself. All genres are fuzzy as hell, anyway, and it's never wrong to bring up good music on any thread IMO even if it's tangential.

Bandcamp Profile

...in the same spirit here's a favourite of mine that is also probably a marginal case:

Bandcamp Profile

The Mercury Program have always been one of my favorites. Got to see them live in a tiny club in Boston with Fin Fang Foom opening. Good stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I had tried to get into them, but couldn't do it. Like you I found it a total snooze. And did you ever get one of those electric football players to actually run 100yds without veering off or going in a complete circle?
    LOL! As a matter of fact I never had any luck. Usually the "players" just bunched together or ended up stuck on the edges.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 08-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Guapo's "History of the Visitation" has that Post Rock thing going on. I can pick up on the Zeuhl, but Tremors From The Future seems PR.
    Big Guapo and Miasma fan here. I'd actually say Elixirs is the Guapo album that gets closest to a post-rock vibe for me. It's a record that doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot, but I like it.

Bandcamp Profile

Two of my favorites are Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯ A♯ ∞, and Kayo Dot's Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Sitting in the Soundstage in Baltimore, waiting to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It's gonna be a goood night

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Sitting in the Soundstage in Baltimore, waiting to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It's gonna be a goood night
    Be sure to thank the filmstrip guy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    LOL! As a matter of fact I never had any luck. Usually the "players" just bunched together or ended up stuck on the edges.
    That's better than ours. Ours would fall over on their side and kind of rotate in a circle from a central point. An early form of break dancing, it was.

There's been many threads mentioning this type of music, one of the early bands I discovered in this genre was GYBE (Godspeed You Black Emperor), there is a wide, wide range of bands to explore, many that have already been listed, one of my favs is also God is an Astronaut, they sort of bridge the gap between Post and Prog. A couple of other bands that do this are Human Factor (out of Russia) and Maserati (out of Georgia).

Historically speaking, a band playing this style long before the term was coined was Dif Juz, although they only have a couple of releases, they are very cool.

Also worth checking out is the Red Sparrows, Causa Sui, their label mates Papir, Parhelia, Cul De Sac, Pell Mell, there are just so many out there, you will be overwhelmed, try this link with samples: http://arcticdrones.com/staff-picks/...nds-post-rock/

I will close with my current favorite band: My Sleeping Karma, I have 5 or 6 of their CD's and love these guys...!

cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Not really post-rock, but definitely indie, I find more changes within compositions with artists like 'Signals', 'Young Dreams', and 'Field Music'. Signals has a lot of nice live performances on YouTube and I may actually prefer their unplugged performances.

The nice thing you may like about post rock artists is bands like Tortoise and Godspeed... are instrumental, even though compositional changes aren't generally part of the mix
    thanx Bill, I'll check those out... right now I'm really loving this particular new album:
    https://humanfactor.bandcamp.com/alb...ake-its-course
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Mono from Japan is also interesting, especially when they work with an orchestra (a bit like the soundtracks Mogwai did):

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

But you're right, I don't listen much (if at all) to post-rock nowadays. AAMOF, if the genre still exist, I consider it a bit brain-dead
    It's been over a decade that the style had exhausted itself...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Roger Waters once said something like it was more important to have ideas as a musician than to be a great player, something like that. And Post-Rock for me had so many unique ideas. Even the cd packaging that a lot of these bands came up with were different. Love Sigur Ros' Takk which I believe was hand painted and it's etched. Some bands had almost no info while Red Sparowes and The Ascent Of Everest would have long song titles actually telling the story by these titles. GYBE had some weird stuff even right on the cd itself and they quote a part Jeremiah 4in Hebrew and English on their EP. Oh and the interview they did with Blaise Bailey Finnegan the third was such a great idea when they were in new York at the time. Putting that to music.

I guess I lean to the apocalyptic stuff like Godspeed, Red Sparowes and The Ascent Of Everest but the explosiveness of Yndi Halda, Mogwai, Blueneck is awesome. Sigur Ros is another animal singing in a made up language those albums () and Takk are so ethreal and atmospheric. I like the heavy more straight up stuff like the one Ian said he just bought Russian Circles Enter along with Germans Long Distance Calling especially Avoid The Light with Katatonia's singer on one track.

I used to love going for drives around here playing either electronic or post-rock almost like a soundtrack to the beauty of nature with the beaches, mountains and county side being the visuals. Just something about those styles of music often bringing out even more what I was seeing.

Ohand I'm glad you chimed in Hugues I learned a lot from you back in the day. And it's funny you mentioned 2005 as the last of anything interesting from the genre as that year I have four Post rock albums listed in my best from that year.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I like the heavy more straight up stuff like the one Ian said he just bought Russian Circles Enter along with Germans Long Distance Calling especially Avoid The Light with Katatonia's singer on one track.
    Enter and Avoid the Light I would consider essential for anyone who likes progressive metal, and are the best albums from both of those bands.

here's a write-up I did after checking out the Velocities in Music guys do a "Deep Dive" podcast into Post Rock.
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...post-rock.html

Explosions in the Sky, Swans and even Talk Talk I honestly never cared for (Kayo Dot somewhat as well, even though I love maudlin of the Well).

And there are literally hundreds of bands aping the style, especially Explosions (new Russian Circles since their 2nd album, This Will Destroy You, Caspian).

The bands who include other things like chamber instruments (Do Make Say Think, Broken Social Scene) or Samples (God is an Astronaut at 1 time, Nordic Giants, etc) are way more interesting to me.

Here's a bit from an album that is one of my favourite things ever:

Post-rock or post-something at least.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Enter and Avoid the Light I would consider essential for anyone who likes progressive metal, and are the best albums from both of those bands.

here's a write-up I did after checking out the Velocities in Music guys do a "Deep Dive" podcast into Post Rock.
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...post-rock.html

Explosions in the Sky, Swans and even Talk Talk I honestly never cared for (Kayo Dot somewhat as well, even though I love maudlin of the Well).

And there are literally hundreds of bands aping the style, especially Explosions (new Russian Circles since their 2nd album, This Will Destroy You, Caspian).

The bands who include other things like chamber instruments (Do Make Say Think, Broken Social Scene) or Samples (God is an Astronaut at 1 time, Nordic Giants, etc) are way more interesting to me.

I enjoyed that and the list with some bands I hadn't heard of.
    Put my words into practice this afternoon heading up the mountain listening first to Sleepmakeswaves then O.Rang before heading home listening to Thinking Plague. Okay the Plague are not Post Rock but me like.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hammock

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hammock

It's nice, but I need a little more to happen...I got fidgety after a minute
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak