Thread: The Other Other Operation

The Other Other Operation

Four weeks from tonight a long-held ambition of mine will come to fruition when I and a handful of great local musicians and colleagues will take a stab at instrumental versions of several classics that will be familiar to most around these parts. King Crimson's Starless, Discipline, and an adaptation of ELP's Tarkus suite are on the program, along with a few other odds and ends. The instrumentation is stick, guitar, drums and saxophone, with the rendition of Discipline being performed by stick, drums, and two marimbas. For me (the stickist and instigator/arranger of the project) it's been a challenge in the extreme; one of my goals in setting out on this endeavor was to force myself to make the transition from being a stick owner to an actual stick player. Not sure how far along that journey I've come, but I can say the other gents in the group are totally crushing it, buying in to the concept and taking care of business in a big way. My hope is that it feels musically successful enough when all is said and done to encourage further exploration of live performance of classic progressive rock literature in my area, which is really not happening.

So - just looking for a little PE affirmation here; I know I'm nuts to try this, but dang it's been fun to work on. And as a little aside, I used my MASSIVE image editing chops to put together the logo featuring the official mascot of The Other Other Operation, which might engender a chuckle from one or two people here as well:

SpinyTarkus.jpg

Anyway, thanks for reading, and if all goes well, I may have some audio/video to share in a few weeks.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

"Are You Ready, Dinsdale?"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I understand he also nailed your wife's head to a coffee table. Isn't that true Mrs O' Tracy?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Are You Ready, Dinsdale?"
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I understand he also nailed your wife's head to a coffee table. Isn't that true Mrs O' Tracy?

But seriously, if this gig was happening in my area, I'd be there! Sounds really cool, best of luck!

Bill

^^^
    Much appreciated!
    David

I hope your band and Spiny Norman have a good time.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

We will! After all, we're charming, erudite, and we know how to treat a female impersonator.
    David

Here's a snippet of the end of 'Discipline' from a recent rehearsal (pardon the sound quality; sounds MUCH BETTER in the room):

David

David

Banned
    Good luck with the show! I'd attend but I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than go to Iowa...
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 09-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.

LOL

Thanks, BB!
    David

Live Stream Available!

I didn't realize this until this morning, but you don't HAVE to come to Iowa to see tonight's festivities! The SoM provides a live stream of our faculty and student events now. Here's the channel URL:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJ...mX91GT0Mg/live

Tonight, Friday September 7 2018, 6.00 pm US Central time (GMT-5)
    David

Very cool, Thanks!
    -- Aristotle