Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: Why the music industry is killing the music..

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Fair enough. I guess the medium in and of itself does not limit the potential for education, empathy and so on. I guess in my limited experience those types of games to not seem to predominate.
    Sturgeon's Law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yep, the pop charts have always been shite!
    I'm not so sure, the 1930 pop chart ain't so bad...

I guess you forgot about McKinney's Cotton Pickers!
    There are more stars in the visible universe than there are grains of sand on planet earth.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Thanks. I rest my case.
    There are more stars in the visible universe than there are grains of sand on planet earth.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ OK, here's the best-selling single in the UK the year after:

And the year after:

Henry
    That Mud song sounds very much like a T. Rex knockoff to me, but both songs still sound WAYYYYYYY better to me than the Pitbull song.

Playing music is very much like tortilla making...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Playing music is very much like tortilla making...
    Sometimes exactly like it.

As someone who has played video games since the first Atari console came out when I was 12, I still enjoy them. In many cases, much more than movies. No video game is as good as a good book though, IMO. However, modern games can have so much more. I love the Assassins Creed franchise of games, because they incorporate so much history into the games, and you get to run around in historical environments. I've learned more about Ancient Greece and Ancient Egypt from those games than I ever did in High School or college. Granted, if you want to skip the history lesson parts, you can, so I suppose players just interested in the action can more or less ignore and gloss over that stuff, but it's there. Also, music in video games has come quite a long way and a lot of it I find quite excellent. So for my money, I'd rather play a game than watch TV or go to a movie. Reading books though, still takes presidence over all those things though, other than music.

Also, from my teens to my late 20's, music of the 60's and 70's was my main interest, and I did not enjoy most of the music from those decades (80's, 90's) until more recently. So in my case, what was most new and hip was not of interest to me at all and I listen and buy far more current music now than I did back then (even if a good deal of it sounds more like stuff from the 70's anyway).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's interesting and sometimes very puzzling how different video games are now from when we were younger. Back in the day, I would have gladly skipped any cut scene, as they were only there to give you something to look at as the next diskette loaded. Now it's something players would never skip. I also don't at all understand how important customizing the look of your character is now, and how they have different victory dances and stuff. Either of my kids will be playing a game and spending a ton of time doing shit before the game even starts, and I'm like WTF? Just shoot the goddamned asteroids!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    and I'm like WTF? Just shoot the goddamned asteroids!

....And GIT OFF MY LAWN!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    ....And GIT OFF MY LAWN!
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

My observation on 2018 releases being a bit thin is based on going through the entire thread of "Best of 2018" and realizing that, short of Spocks beards new release, there was little I saw that I either recognized or found interesting, especially when pursuing the more highly praised releases on the list. - It is purely just my view, but I just do not see artists I normally follow putting anything out. There is still plenty of backfill, so I still buy older material. But NEW, just didn't happen for me. usually, the best of lists have a plethora of potential purchases. This year there were none. Just my anecdotal observation.

I spent a fair amount if time researching that list and it was almost entirely stuff I would not be interested in. I still consider myself a prog fan, but some of the stuff listed on that thread was well outside of my realm. Nothing judgmental here, but challenging that opinion is not going to suddenly make me go out and buy stuff I wont listen to.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 1 Week Ago at 02:21 PM.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.