Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weidorje

^ Haven't heard a ton of Guapo, but not hearing the Zeuhl in them or One Shot or Kultivator. Full disclosure though, I find that a lot of people on PE tend to classify somewhat differently than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Haven't heard a ton of Guapo, but not hearing the Zeuhl in them or One Shot or Kultivator. Full disclosure though, I find that a lot of people on PE tend to classify somewhat differently than I do.
    With regard to Guapo, the only one I've heard (and also own) is Five Suns. I can definitely hear a bit of Magma influence in that one, especially in that kind of measured slow-burn like on Köhntarkösz. Have you heard it before?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    With regard to Guapo, the only one I've heard (and also own) is Five Suns. I can definitely hear a bit of Magma influence in that one, especially in that kind of measured slow-burn like on Köhntarkösz. Have you heard it before?
    I saw them live at Nearfest and heard either that one or Black Oni. (I have a CDR, I'd have to dig it out to know for sure.) "Measured slow burn" wouldn't be enough to cause me to put them in the same grouping. There are Metal albums one could say that about.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guapo's masterpiece 5 Suns certainly has a Zeuhl flavor (mainly in the driving bass repeated rhythms and keyboard sounds) but they've moved further away with each subsequent album, not that that is a bad thing, I love all of them. Great band particularly live.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I saw them live at Nearfest and heard either that one or Black Oni. (I have a CDR, I'd have to dig it out to know for sure.) "Measured slow burn" wouldn't be enough to cause me to put them in the same grouping. There are Metal albums one could say that about.
    I think you've misunderstood. The "measured slow-burn" is not the reason why they sound like Magma to me. I was likening the sound on Five Suns to the style of Köhntarkösz, because that's the way it sounds to my ears and is the closest point of comparison I can think of.

If you compare Köhntarkösz to MDK, for example, they are pretty different stylistically even though they exist side by side in the same category.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Zeuhl spirit:

I wish they would complete and release a third album!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guapo's masterpiece 5 Suns certainly has a Zeuhl flavor (mainly in the driving bass repeated rhythms and keyboard sounds) but they've moved further away with each subsequent album, not that that is a bad thing, I love all of them. Great band particularly live.
    Good point, I love Thompson's bass playing. His band Zoltan did an electronic album called First Stage Zoltan that kills with his bass and that ever present mellotron. I always thought more of Anekdoten when listening to Five Suns so next spin I'll listen with Zeuhl in mind.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

That Zoltan is great.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Zeuhl spirit:

I wish they would complete and release a third album!
    I like them a lot, like Xing Sa even more. Something clicked with Xing Sa and when it did I just couldn't get enough.
    I think One Shot gets mentioned probably more because all the guys have played in Zeuhl bands. The drummer did a great job on Japan's Amygdala's second album, I really like that one.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Guapo definitely had a zeuhl vibe when they played at NEARfest, whichever year that was, I don't remember. I don't know what they played, as I never got around to getting any of their records.

I also hear the zeuhl thing in Kultivator in the way they used the Fender Rhodes. It's closer to Zao's Kawana than to, say, MDK or Köhntarkösz, though, I think.

what happened to those Youts of the unreleased Weidorje 2nd album pieces?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My last word on this. Hey I got my license plate. WEIDORJE and I'll drop dead if someone approaches me and says "Is that the band?"
    Funny how in the liner notes they say they took the name Weidorje simply for how it beautiful it sounds "Vaydorje" and yet it means "celestial wheel" in Biblical tongue they say. And the first song is "Elohims Voyage" and Elohim is a Hebrew word for God, again bringing me back to Ezekial's vision but then the cover has a celestial wheel you could say in the form of a spaceship. I just find that they've adopted two meanings and I'll leave it at that. I pity the people who ask me what it means and there's already been a few.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    what happened to those Youts of the unreleased Weidorje 2nd album pieces?
    Scattered over Paga, Enneade, Bebe Gorilla albums. Great stuff

sorry..."Youts" = Youtube videos I thought were posted in this thread...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't find this particularly successful album. I prefer almost any other zeuhl -related album I have heard.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Post #44

You can probebly find the 4 tracks on Dime

Did you say "Youts"?

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ First thing I thought of too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Post #44

You can probebly find the 4 tracks on Dime
    there is no Yout in post #44

https://replicarecords57.bandcamp.com/album/weidorje

Hey does anyone here know what's up with this? Is this legit/remastered well/worthwhile?
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

"wheel" can be expressed with many variations of the Hebrew root word for it. This is the closest I found to weidorje

Englishman's Concordance
    wə·’ō·w·nān

Yochk'o Seffer ( ex Magma, Zao ) deserves a mention here.

His album Neffesh Music (1976) & Ghilgoul (1978) are interesting hybrids of classical, fusion and proggy Zeuhl.

Check out the relentless menacing groove at 5:45. High quality stuff!

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    https://replicarecords57.bandcamp.com/album/weidorje

Hey does anyone here know what's up with this? Is this legit/remastered well/worthwhile?
    Can't say much about the specific release itself, but the label is tied to Musea, so definitely legit.

Ghilgoul is excellent
    Ian

heh... "neffesh"music... cute!