Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weidorje

I will work toward not taking the bait in the future.

my apologies
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hey, we made page 2 in a Weidorje thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Robert, we get a lot of complaints about your “thread crapping” and thinly veiled swipes on a variety of subjects. You’re on notice for your cumulative efforts as you clearly have little respect for PE’s guidelines and your fellow posters. Next time we receive a complaint you’ll be taking a long break from the site. It might be wise for you to take a voluntary one now since you can’t seem to control yourself.

And I’m not interested in discussing so please don’t PM me.
    And I apologize to everyone I've offended. It was not intended.

So I'll take a vacation from PE now. I'm sorry my feeble attempts at humor or rationalist perspective were upsetting to some. Carry on and be well.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Hey, we made page 2 in a Weidorje thread!
    It's no small feat!

Actually, Weidorje never really gelled for me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I should give it another shot, since it has been a while...

At least we are not barraged with RIP threads! That was a tough stretch!.........uh oh.....Beetlejuice....Beetlejuice.......Beetlejuic e!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It's no small feat!

Actually, Weidorje never really gelled for me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I should give it another shot, since it has been a while...
    it's *my* all time fav Zeuhl album... Eskaton 4 Visions is great too though
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Yeah, I should give it another chance.

Now I do have 4 Visions by Eskaton and you're right, it is great!

Magma (yeah, I know they invented the thing) is what never clicked with me... except Udu Wudu; that one is real good

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's no small feat!

Well, "Elohims Voyage" is a kind of a large chunk to bite off. Where it all comes together for me is "Vilna." That is a mighty slab of zeuhl!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

It's no small feat!

Hell, sometimes it takes me decades before something clicks. Got to be worth another spin I reckon.

For me I think it's my favourite of all the “core zeuhl” albums (in my mind, those that adopt the Magma sound pretty much wholesale rather than “fringe zeuhl” which takes some Magma influence but goes to a different place with it). Truth be told I like it better than several of Magma's albums.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

The only 2 Zeuhl bands which I really liked are magma (obviously...) and Shub Nigurath.
    I do not know why, but Weidorje, Eskaton, and even bands like Koenjihyakkei do absolutely nothing for me...

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Maybe this will be my next project, to go through all my favourite Zeuhl albums and come up with some sort of a list. Doing that now with Post-Rock. But yeah Weidorje's only album is incredible to my ears and after hearing it jut the other day I had to say it again "This is one wicked bass album!"
    4 Visions is a five star album too but then there's quite a few of those, love my Zeuhl.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Maybe this will be my next project, to go through all my favourite Zeuhl albums and come up with some sort of a list. Doing that now with Post-Rock. But yeah Weidorje's only album is incredible to my ears and after hearing it jut the other day I had to say it again "This is one wicked bass album!"
    4 Visions is a five star album too but then there's quite a few of those, love my Zeuhl.
    Post that list whenever you get around to it. I am interested in reading it.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Post that list whenever you get around to it. I am interested in reading it.
    Thanks man, I will probably do that with the Post-Rock one too just for discussion sake.
    The hardest part in any list like this is what to include or exclude. I was just looking at the thread for your top five Zeuhl albums and some of those picks had me scratching my head, but I will listen to the ones seemingly on the edge and decide I guess from there. The fun part will be listening to these albums again, some I haven't heard in years.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Other than Magma themselves, I think the Weidorje album was the first "zheul" album I ever heard. I actually fished the LP out of the cut out bins that used to be in the basement of Record Revolution on Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights. I remember buying it, then finding out it not only had been reissued on CD, but the CD has bonus tracks. I remember feeling a little gypped by that, but then I realized "Hey, I got a Magma related record on LP! That's cooler than the CD anyway!".

I kinda wish they could have made a second album. I gather that there was enough material, between the two pieces that appeared as bonus tracks on the reissue, plus the tracks that appeared on Patrick Gauthier's Bebe Godzilla and Bernard Paganotti's Paga.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Other than Magma themselves, I think the Weidorje album was the first "zheul" album I ever heard. I actually fished the LP out of the cut out bins that used to be in the basement of Record Revolution on Coventry Road in Cleveland Heights. I remember buying it, then finding out it not only had been reissued on CD, but the CD has bonus tracks. I remember feeling a little gypped by that, but then I realized "Hey, I got a Magma related record on LP! That's cooler than the CD anyway!".

I kinda wish they could have made a second album. I gather that there was enough material, between the two pieces that appeared as bonus tracks on the reissue, plus the tracks that appeared on Patrick Gauthier's Bebe Godzilla and Bernard Paganotti's Paga.
    There is a non-legit second album consisting of leftovers-rehearsals, etc.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=89584

I think I have it somewhere on my other PC as mp3, but as you can guess, it didn't have a huge impact on me.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 08-06-2018 at 07:16 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Of the non-Magma bands I'd have to go with Weidorje, Eskaton, Shub-Niggurath and Archaia (do they qualify?) as my favorites. A lot of the others tend to the more jazzy end of the Zeuhl pool, Patrick Gauthier, Serge Bringolf, Amygdala, Potemkine. Or the more bonkers Japanese bands Koenji Hyakkei, Bondage Fruit, Happy Family. Then there's a bunch of good more modern European bands such as Guapo, Setna, Xing Sa, Rhun, Scherzoo, Unit Wail.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Of the non-Magma bands I'd have to go with Weidorje, Eskaton, Shub-Niggurath and Archaia (do they qualify?) as my favorites. A lot of the others tend to the more jazzy end of the Zeuhl pool, Patrick Gauthier, Serge Bringolf, Amygdala, Potemkine. Or the more bonkers Japanese bands Koenji Hyakkei, Bondage Fruit, Happy Family. Then there's a bunch of good more modern European bands such as Guapo, Setna, Xing Sa, Rhun, Scherzoo, Unit Wail.
    Forgot about Archaia, actually love them very much!
    Also Potemkine are not bad but more on the fusion side- not too Zeuhlish.
    Which reminds me of more Zeuhl bands I could live without:
    Dun, Zao, Kultivator

4 tracks

Comment from: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/un...d_2nd_album.p/

This seems to be made up almost entirely of Bernard Paganotti's contributions to a mooted second Weidorje album- the first three tracks are a shortened early version of what became "Mitchinoku", "Une Parcelle d'Urantia", and "Urantia" itself- the fourth track is a brief ballad I don't necessarily recognize from anywhere. While these are all nice songs, at least three other members of the band had written songs in the Weidorje mold- Patrick Gauthier, who was responsible for side two of the original LP, wrote "Nor", which later appeared on the "Bebe Godzilla" LP, for the band. Jean-Philippe Goude penned "Les Saturnales" and "Rondeau", while Michael Ettori wrote "Kolinda". The tracks played in concert were "Rondeau", "Kolinda", and "Une Parcelle d'Urantia". Anyway it's interesting but can't be regarded as any way definitive, particularly given that definitive versions of most of the songs here were recorded elsewhere.

Koenji and Guapo are my fav Zeuhl-ish bands behind the masters of course. I find the writing to be pretty great with those bands. I'm not super big on just grooves alone, I appreciate good compositions along with the groove and attitude of this music. I still find Vander's compositions to be on par with any great classical masters when he is at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Which reminds me of more Zeuhl bands I could live without:
    Dun, Zao, Kultivator
    Did you mean "you couldn't live without"?

I just love all three and consider them la creme de la creme. (sorry, no accents on this keyboard)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same here, adore those 3.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Did you mean "you couldn't live without"?

I just love all three and consider them la creme de la creme. (sorry, no accents on this keyboard)
    I am writing this here because I know I am the anomality, but yes, I meant what I wrote
    Had all of them on CD and sold them to the highest buddha so at least something good came out of them
    I really dont know why- but they all leave me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

There were three spin-off bands that featured a lot of the Weidorje members, you mentioned Gauthier's and Paganotti's but the best might be from the other keyboardist in Weidorje Jean-Philippe Goude and his Drones album. It was Jean-My Truong the drummer from Zao who strongly suggested he join Weidorje to begin with and Drones has Blasquiz from magma on it some Heldon members including Pinhas and that female string quartet from one of the Zao albums and Prevost on bass for one track from Zao.
    It's so fun connecting all these different Zeuhl musicians from France and the common bands they played in.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Koenji and Guapo are my fav Zeuhl-ish bands behind the masters of course. I find the writing to be pretty great with those bands. I'm not super big on just grooves alone, I appreciate good compositions along with the groove and attitude of this music. I still find Vander's compositions to be on par with any great classical masters when he is at his best.
    I have talked about that Krautrock spirit for years when talking about new and borderline Krautrock bands that I feel have that sound. I don't know what the Zeuhl spirit is yet. I have a narrow view I guess looking at the bass style and chants mostly.
    I hear in in the early Art Zoyd album Scrots mentioned and also the Bondage Fruit one he named but Guapo, One Shot, Shub Niggurath/ Unit Wail I'm missing it. And I love those bands. I need to re-listen and look at some defintitions but regardless I think if I do a list it will be called Zeuhl and related just to get some of these amazing albums in.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten