Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson "To The Bone" Fall US/Canada Tour

Show tonight in Hamilton was excellent. Great playing and energy, SW was funny and that was a pretty solid set list I thought! I thought the Prince cover fell a little flat, and I was hoping for People Who Eat Darkness, but no complaints from me overall!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve...a-3973d53.html
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    I only like about half of the newest album but finally decided to get tickets for the Atlanta show. It would be really hard to exceed the Hand Cannot Erase show but I'm looking forward to seeing Nowhere Now and Detonation performed live.
    Last edited by rushfan; 11-25-2018 at 10:35 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Great show in Montreal!

If you are on the fence about seeing this show, just go. Fantastic 3 hour performance in Buffalo last night. Band in great form, Wilson was chatty but very humorous. Set list was outstanding, including a lot of Porcupine Tree "covers" (a funny story of his). Have to say that Beggs and Blundell work fantastic together. Beggs was a standout last night for sure. Very glad Wilson popped over to the frozen north east on this leg of the tour.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

This is a good interview with SW at the Home Invasion screening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfAnEuylJng

Also may be of interest is this long interview "The Nick Beggs Story"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs05BDUnnt8&t=3792s

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    If you are on the fence about seeing this show, just go. Fantastic 3 hour performance in Buffalo last night. Band in great form, Wilson was chatty but very humorous. Set list was outstanding, including a lot of Porcupine Tree "covers" (a funny story of his). Have to say that Beggs and Blundell work fantastic together. Beggs was a standout last night for sure. Very glad Wilson popped over to the frozen north east on this leg of the tour.
    I was on the fence. You convinced me. Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ the day after tomorrow.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    He's in town tonight but I am not going. This last album just doesn't do it for me.
    As you may have heard, Wilson prefaced the show by telling the audience the band was "quite conscious that we were here in April, so we're going to do something different tonight and play most of H.C.E. for the first set."

Good show in Boston last night. Good to see Prognosticator and his lovely wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    I was on the fence. You convinced me. Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ the day after tomorrow.
    Nice! Let us know what you thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    As you may have heard, Wilson prefaced the show by telling the audience the band was "quite conscious that we were here in April, so we're going to do something different tonight and play most of H.C.E. for the first set."
    And a wonderful show it was in Montréal, as my review, published today at All About Jazz, makes clear (at least, I hope it does!!).

I had no problem with To the Bone, but I will say that after seeing a good chunk of it performed live, I'm liking it even more. It's taken on a whole new life with the chemistry of this band who, with relative newcomer guitarist Alex Hutchings, really works to Wilson's advantage, at least IMO. And with Wilson's mixed set drawing on music as far back as '99's
    Porcupine Tree, there's still plenty of solo space and complex writing for the more prog-leaning fans in the crowd, while also possessing plenty of lyrical (and, at times, positively buoyant) pop songs for those leaning more towards that side.

And, for those of us who love it all, just a great mix overall, with both Hutchings and Adam Holzman getting enough solo space to generate plenty of improvisational excitement. And it was great to see "The Raven That Refused To Sing" once again, as a final encore. Wilson has rarely written anything this melancholically beautiful, I think.

I missed the April show, but am so glad I was able to catch them in Montreal on November 23rd.
    Last edited by jkelman; 12-01-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Great review of a great show (our fourth of this tour) but are your page numbers out of order?

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

I had no problem with To the Bone, but I will say that after seeing a good chunk of it performed live, I'm liking it even more.
    With me it was opposite. I did not like much To The Bone songs on album and liked them even less live. I have seen Wilson live 4 times (+5 times with PT) and I am not going again unless next album is considerably better than To The Bone was.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I was at last night's concert in beautiful Sayreville, NJ.

The PreShow:
    Doors opened at 7. I was planning to get there early so I could get a good stand (no seats at the Starland Ballroom, well not no seats, but mostly a standing room place) but then it started raining, so I didn't want to stand in the rain for too long. So I left the house to get there around 7. Big mistake. There were already a lot of people there, so I got to stand in the rain for about 40 minutes while they slowly granted people access.

Once I got in, there was no room in the front, so I got a decent enough spot off to the side up on a little platform. I had a pretty good side view of the front of the stage. AND had a little fence to lean on. Of course an enormous man settled in right in front of me. Once I learned his movements (weaving back and forth, once in a while drifting away from in front of me then back in front of me), it was ok. Humorous in fact.

The Concert:
    I thought the band was great. A few of the To the Bone Songs, I'm not too fond of, but I don't hate them... so the setlist was fine. A couple of good surprises with him playing Arriving and also Blackfield. Great banter by Steven. A lot of disbelief that people from NJ were not Bruce Springsteen fans. The crowd was very into it and there was no scolding of the audience by Mr. W. Some of that may have been because he doesn't want people sitting at his concerts. I skipped out just before the last encore (Raven), so it wouldn't take me 40 minutes to get out of the parking lot.

The conclusion:
    I'm not a fan of the Starland Ballroom. I don't like standing for 4 hours. I don't like jockeying for position and a huge giant Hodor of a man standing in front of me. I'm sure lots of people love the place. Lot's of bars all around. Just not my cup of tea. It is an easy 30 minute drive for me, so it has that going for it. I saw Porcupine Tree there a few years ago (perhaps more than a few years ago now, time is marching along)... For that one I did get there early and had a standing spot right at the stage.
    Anyway, despite some negatives, I had a good time and was glad I decided to go.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    With me it was opposite. I did not like much To The Bone songs on album and liked them even less live. I have seen Wilson live 4 times (+5 times with PT) and I am not going again unless next album is considerably better than To The Bone was.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Great review of a great show (our fourth of this tour) but are your page numbers out of order?
    I don't believe so (since I've no control over AAJ pagination, which is done automatically. Perhaps it might seem confusing because I didn't review in linear fashion. Instead, I kinda moved around the set list based upon "big picture" points I was trying to make, rather than review it in order, from start to end.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    And, thus, the beauty of different folks responding in different ways!
    John Kelman

So, any news on the special cd live from the Raven tour with Chad Wackerman on drums? Someone got it?

Slight variance in set list this time around for TTB show.
    Sound and sight line just fine from comfortable upper stadium seats.
    Days of 2 hour standing at shows is not for me anymore.

Steven's banter was entertaining (no lectures this time )
    Group was solid as expected especially on legendary workout
    Home invasion-Regret #9 !!!

Appreciate the change of heart by SW to stop ignoring his successful
    past with PT & continuing to play some nuggets from the Tree library.

Saw the final PT USA gig in Radio City & would have been a shame to never
    hear any of those songs again.

All in all IMO HCE is a better record than TTB.
    However TTB has its moments but to me the one "epic"
    moment is Song of Unborn which was replaced as closer by the Raven
    (yes, that is epic too !!)
    As progressive fans no real griping is necessary with SW who changes
    his approach each album.

FYI -Had a bite to eat at HOB Boston restaurant and found out that
    special line entrance is a perk.

All in all a solid night of entertainment enhanced by bumping into the
    charming & astute prog aficionado couple Mr & Mrs Awakeman again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    All in all a solid night of entertainment enhanced by bumping into the
    charming & astute prog aficionado couple Mr & Mrs Awakeman again !!!
    Thanks for that, Rich. Maybe catch you again at Neal Morse in February at the Sinclair?

Road conditions from Charlotte to Asheville are not looking good with a major winter storm coming in. I have a single balcony seat that I'd be willing to part with. PM if interested.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm pretty bored with this guy at this point. Maybe the show this weekend will change my mind....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm pretty bored with this guy at this point. Maybe the show this weekend will change my mind....
    I miss Gavin in his band

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm still finding a lot to like on his studio albums and his recent live album. To the Bone is sonically and stylistically (with a few notable exceptions) not a whole lot different than The Incident.

Now I get that that statement is probably reason enough for most people to hold disdain for To the Bone and probably me (I deserve it), but I'm ok with that sort of plateauing.

Hell, Iron Maiden has been making the same album for 25 years, and it's still a really good album. I'll buy it every time.

Rather disappointed I had to cancel my show this weekend. Not sure I'll get a chance to see him in a town I love to visit that's so close to my hometown. Oh well.

Enjoy the show, Sean. Hopefully there's still enough in his live performance to find something that you enjoy.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

His band is always good so if nothing else there's that.

In checking the setlists, looks like the Nashville show I was faintly thinking of going to but decided it was not worth the hassle of driving 2 states over and then standing for 3-4 hours (all standing venue) had really only 2 songs that were not played in the Chicago/Milwaukee shows I went to earlier this year--No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun from Insurgentes and Index from Grace. Looks like Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here), People Who Eat Darkness, and Song of Unborn were among the casualties from the setlists I saw. Don't see any setlist for Atlanta. Wish he had ventured out further west on this leg, but I'm happy with the two seated shows I saw earlier this year.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-13-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Aaaaaand?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart