Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frost* and Inside Out Records

Frost* and Inside Out Records

Frost* has signed a 2 new record deal . Plus reissueing previous material. Sounds like a win win for us proggers. Does Mitchell ever sleep?? Now, they need to get Frost* to cross the pond for some shows!!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That's excellent news...great band. However, I'd like to get some new material, not reissues as I have almost everything except the live cd they did.
    Have you ever followed Gem's video vlogs when he's working on a project? the man is manic, but in a good way. Thank goodness he has music as an outlet or who knows where all the crazy energy would go...

Thanks for the update.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Big fan here too. Never seen them live unfortunately, but I love their albums.

Is Frost* different from the old Jerry Goodman band Frost?

Wait, Goodman's band was The Flock. The Frost was a different band led by Dick Wagner.

great news - always thought these dudes were sort of a paragon of what modern prog ought to be. all three of their albums rule. and I like Godfrey a lot; one of the few genuinely funny men in prog. bring it on!!!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I find this band to be pretty cold.

Just kidding - never heard 'em.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Just kidding - never heard 'em.
    here's a sample(I purchased a copy of this DVD/CD and it's great imo, but I'm already a long time Frost fan)
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    But they seem to suffer from a variant of the Gratuitous Umlauts Syndrome.

I've always ignored this band thinking they were just another 'prog by numbers' act but maybe I should listen some more.

Frost* are definitely not "prog-by-numbers".
    They are kind of like Dream Theater, but with a good keyboardist, and a guitar player with taste, IMO.

They have their own thing going on. The first album, "Milliontown" is their most "prog-like". The rest is intelligent prog-pop-rock.

The production tilts towards the overly loudness-maximized, though.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    They are kind of like Dream Theater, but with a good keyboardist, and a guitar player with taste, IMO.

They have their own thing going on. The first album, "Milliontown" is their most "prog-like". The rest is intelligent prog-pop-rock.

I agree. I don't find them by numbers at all. In fact I think they are rather unique.

"Rather unique"? Isn't that an oxymoron, like being "kinda pregnant" or "a little bit dead"?

I have heard Milliontown, and I don’t think DT is the comparison I would make. More like IQ, but not afraid to try a more modernist sound, not quite so hidebound by the 70s and 80s conventions. It didn’t really stick with me (for this kind of thing, I much preferred Moth Vellum), but I appreciate what they were trying to do. I actually think this might grow on me with more listens.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

OMG, seriously?! Not a fan of DT then. Jordan and JP are two of the best musicians on the planet - but don't get the credit they deserve.

Milliontown kicks ass and still gets plenty of spin time here. I love Mitchell's playing, I think he's truly underrated and I completely miss the DT comparison here, he's got more taste in a 12 second riff than JP does in four albums as far as Im concerned. I wish they could get Andy Edwards back, too...their last couple don't quite don't for me. Im super happy they got a 2 album deal, they deserve to be heard.

They sound nothing even close to being reminiscent of DT, and they really don't get bogged down by musical wankery either. Their songs have a much more focused composition contributing to the whole, where just showing-off individual talent in chunks isn't a goal.

Milliontown is their most proggy, and sets a good groundwork for what has followed. After that, the songs are shorter and mostly very catchy, there's a definite pop sensibility to the writing. But it's appealing and fresh, energizing and uplifting.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Listened to Milliontown yesterday and it still does nothjng for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I really liked Milliontown a lot. It was an interesting take on "modern prog rock", and I think that Falling Satellites is almost as good. There is an almost-industrial edge to a lot of the tunes, and a sense of fun too, which I appreciate.

They are kind of like Dream Theater,
    No they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    OMG, seriously?! Not a fan of DT then.
    They're not like DT.

Frost is prog-styled electronica-rock, heavy on unusual keyboards and quirky production techniques. Well, Milliontown is like that anyway.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    No they're not.
    Yeah, they're really nothing like Dream Theater, IMO.

Once I described them as "if Genesis and Nine Inch Nails had a baby", but that was tongue-in-cheek and not at all a good description of their overall sound.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Once I described them as "if Genesis and Nine Inch Nails had a baby"
    Actually, I like that. The vocals are unlike either one, though, so there's that...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Actually, I like that. The vocals are unlike either one, though, so there's that...
    Thanks! But yeah, completely different vocals for sure.

Pretty good stuff. They seem to be very devoted and have at least three albums in last ten years.

Listen about the 8:00 mark:

Frost* - Falling Satellites

I've liked all the studio albums and seen them quite a few times. However the last few gigs have left me unimpressed, just a unyielding wall of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    OMG, seriously?! Not a fan of DT then. Jordan and JP are two of the best musicians on the planet - but don't get the credit they deserve.
    Nope, not a fan of latter-day DT's flavor of cheese-rock.
    Also, to paraphrase some producer years ago, if I want someone to play arpeggios, I'll call Jordan.

I stopped listening to DT after Falling Into Infinity. Up until that point, they were pretty great.