Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INXS

INXS

Can't recall this band ever being discussed or mentioned on PE , even in an 80's thread ?
    First discovered them with the Listen Like Thieves album . Big statesside before cracking Europe & going global . Great rock band IMO & Michael Hutchence was a great front man !
    I dont think they ever bettered Listen Like Thieves but still something to like on subsequent albums ! Never heard any of their earlier albums!
    Any other fans ?

Good luck!

Loved 'em. I have their Greatest Hits double-disc - Shine Like it Does, I think? Anyway, it gets regular rotation.

Always love a band that plays music you can dance to (not that I dance - I just like the groove. )
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Good luck!
    Well , I found them much more interesting than most other stadium bands of the 80's. Especially Duran Duran who were the 80's Bay City Rollers, too formulaic & no killer hooks ! Only U2 could better them in terms of song craft & performance !
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-15-2013 at 05:20 PM.

My favorite album by far is The Swing, which contains their two best songs, "Original Sin" and "Johnson's Aeroplane", which is a wonderful slice of art-pop.

I was a huge fan - they were massive here from Shabooh Shabaah onwards and I used to play it endlessly. The Swing was my favourite back in the day. I also have a soft spot for Listen like Thieves and Welcome to wherever you are. I might have had a 'true fans' snobiness to Kick, but it was overplayed on radio and I never dug it. We were very proud of our bands then and they dominated our charts. Add Split Enz, Men at Work, The Church, Cold Chisel, Australian Crawl, Icehouse, Dragon, The Angels and a couple of others and there is top 40 Australian/NZ pop of the 80's. I saw many of these bands at my uni!
    BTW, I used to have a bio which said that they started out in the 70's trying to emulate their favourite bands incl King Crimson and Yes!

I remember my older brother coming home with the 45 RPM single of "I Send A Message" and recording it to a cassette so he could listen to it in his car! An album or two later, they really got huge. I always thought they were pretty good.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    My favorite album by far is The Swing, which contains their two best songs, "Original Sin" and "Johnson's Aeroplane", which is a wonderful slice of art-pop.
    I've been wanting to get that cd. I love Original Sin. I also became a fan of Dancing In The Jetty when I discovered that music video on YouTube(I was looking for songs from The Swing); that song has interesting lyrics. I remember my dad having Shabooh Shabaah on record when I was a baby. I remember Black And White well. I now have that on cd, as well as Listen Like Thieves(which my maternal aunt had on tape), and Kick. I listen to Shabooh Shabaah. I also have Switch, with they did with that J.D Fortune guy. Haven't listened to that one in a long time.

I never had any of their albums, but I dug some of the songs I saw on MTV. I remember liking The One Thing, Don't Change, This Time, and Original Sin. Good songs, all of them.

I remember reading an interview with Andrew Farris, who was the main songwriter along with Hutchence, where he said that when he'd demo up songs for the band, he'd basically have all the arrangements worked out, so all the band had to do was learn their parts, and they were ready to go. At one point, he decided to take a different tact, and just do demos with him playing acoustic guitar, I guess with the intent of letting the band have more of a role in arranging things. Apparently, the rest of the band thought he had lost his mind, and asked him to go back to doing things the way they had been doing it up until then.

"Don't Change" is one of the great rock anthems of the 80s.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "Don't Change" is one of the great rock anthems of the 80s.
    I agree. Next to Black And White, it is my favorite INXS song. Dig Andrew's keyboard work on there. Was that an OBX?

a frothy delight.

Underneath the Colors is my favorite. Welcome to Wherever You Are is not too shabby either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Well , I found them much more interesting than most other stadium bands of the 80's. Especially Duran Duran who were the 80's Bay City Rollers, too formulaic & no killer hooks ! Only U2 could better them in terms of song craft & performance !
    You should check out the Duran Duran songs The Chauffeur and Hold Back The Rain. Hooks galore!! On the subject of INXS, when is Rhino going to reissue the INXS cd that haven't been reissued?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    You should check out the Duran Duran songs The Chauffeur
    Loved this song ever since I was 12. Still love it.

The achetypal 80's band I didn't like (and loved to loathe)... I've tried to reassess a few years ago, but no success...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The achetypal 80's band I didn't like (and loved to loathe)... I've tried to reassess a few years ago, but no success...
    Wow, what a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow, what a surprise!
    Seems that Trane dosn't like the 80's very much !! Oh well, have to respect his choice & oppinions although I don't share them !!!

very good band; hutchence had a great voice. liked em since shoobah shoorah not every song on all their albums were great though. but the singles they released were wonderful dancey rockin pop. today i just have a comp and thats works fine for me.

Nah, never came across anything that interested me enough to investigate further.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw them before they broke; backing up the dreaded Men at Work. They were clearly the superior band.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

One of my favorites, and another great Aussie band! I still consider their show at San Fran's Warfield in Nov. 1985 to be one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I ended up fainting toward the end and found out later that I was pregnant. I should have named my son after Michael Hutchence, LOL!

They had some great albums, and some great songs. I was really sad when Hutchence died. They tried to resurrect the band a few years ago, right? I don't know whatever happened to that.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    One of my favorites, and another great Aussie band! I still consider their show at San Fran's Warfield in Nov. 1985 to be one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I ended up fainting toward the end and found out later that I was pregnant. I should have named my son after Michael Hutchence, LOL!

They had some great albums, and some great songs. I was really sad when Hutchence died. They tried to resurrect the band a few years ago, right? I don't know whatever happened to that.
    Yes, INXS was brought back to life via a reality show called Rockstar:INXS. J.D Fortune(a Canadian singer that won the contest) was with them for many years, but he and the band parted ways due to J.D being on drugs. They did reunite for a tour(in 2011, I think). After the tour, J.D decided to pursue a solo career. The band then toured with a singer from Northern Ireland called Ciaran Green. After a show on November 11th of last year, the band have decided to call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Seems that Trane dosn't like the 80's very much !! Oh well, have to respect his choice & oppinions although I don't share them !!!
    A few here have realized that my 80's pop dislike is not as systematic as one would usually believe... But I simply never understood INXS' success... and their over-exposure was annoying as hell to me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    and their over-exposure was annoying as hell to me
    I agree. Especially down under you just couldn't get away from them during the 'Kick' era. However, 20 plus years later I've been able to reassess them and hit on a few albums I like.