Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie: Loving the Alien

David Bowie: Loving the Alien

The David Bowie boxes keep coming. Kinda bummed that the tour with Belew in '89 isn't covered here, but I guess that'll be on the 2019 box.

I'm guessing the draw here is the live album and the new version of Never Let Me Down with . . . what a second. Does that say David Torn? Holy crap! That's gotta be good, right???

Here's the details:

DAVID BOWIE - ‘LOVING THE ALIEN (1983 – 1988)’

FOURTH IN A SERIES OF DAVID BOWIE BOX SETS - RELEASED 12th OCTOBER, 2018

11 CD, DIGITAL AND AUDIOPHILE 15 PIECE VINYL BOX SETS EXCLUSIVELY INCLUDE ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (2018)’ FEATURING NEW PRODUCTION

‘ZEROES (2018)’ (RADIO EDIT) AVAILABLE NOW AS A DIGITAL SINGLE

19th July 2018 London

Parlophone Records are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE ‘LOVING THE ALIEN (1983 – 1988)’ the fourth in a series of box sets spanning his career from 1969.

The follow-up to the award winning and critically acclaimed DAVID BOWIE ‘FIVE YEARS (1969 – 1973)’, DAVID BOWIE ‘WHO CAN I BE NOW? (1974 – 1976)’ and DAVID BOWIE ‘A NEW CAREER IN A NEW TOWN (1977 – 1982)’ will be released on 12th October.

DAVID BOWIE ‘LOVING THE ALIEN (1983 – 1988)’ will contain a brand new production of the 1987 album ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN’ by Bowie producer/engineer Mario McNulty with new instrumentation by Bowie collaborators Reeves Gabrels (guitar), David Torn (guitar), Sterling Campbell (drums), Tim Lefebvre (bass) as well as a string quartet with arrangements by Nico Muhly and a guest cameo by Laurie Anderson on ‘Shining Star (Makin’ My Love)’.

The eleven CD box, fifteen-piece vinyl set and standard digital download box set is named after the opening track from the ‘Tonight’ album and includes newly remastered versions of David’s most commercially successful period ‘LET’S DANCE’, ‘TONIGHT’, ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (ORIGINAL and 2018 VERSIONS)’, the live album ‘GLASS SPIDER (Live Montreal ’87)’, the previously unreleased ‘SERIOUS MOONLIGHT’ live album, a collection of original remixes entitled ‘DANCE’ and the non-album/alternate version/b-sides and soundtrack music compilation RE:CALL 4.

Exclusive to each of the box sets is ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (2018)’, a new production of the 1987 album. The seeds of this reimagining of the album were first sown in 2008 when David asked Mario McNulty to remix the track ‘Time Will Crawl’ and record new drums by longtime Bowie drummer, Sterling Campbell, along with strings. The track was issued on the iSelect compilation to much acclaim, and in the notes, for that record, David remarked ‘Oh, to redo the rest of that album’.

Fast-forward to early 2018 McNulty entered Electric Lady Studios in New York with Sterling, Tim Lefebvre on bass, who was in the ★ (“Blackstar") band and Reeves Gabrels and David Torn on guitars. All of the musicians had a history with David, so were a perfect fit for what now sound like brand new songs. Nico Muhly, whom Mario first met when they were both interns working for Philip Glass in 2001, has handled the string arrangements.

The re-workings have revealed ‘Never Let Me Down’ as a very strong collection of songs with a dark thematic thread running through them. Fans listening to ‘NEVER LET ME DOWN (2018)’ would be forgiven for thinking that they were listening to a brand new ‘lost’ Bowie record.

This 2018 version of the album will also feature newly 'remixed' artwork reflecting the album’s subject matter and features unseen images from the original cover photographic session from the archive of Greg Gorman.

Also in each box is the never before released ‘SERIOUS MOONLIGHT’ live album recorded in Vancouver, in 1983. Originally mixed at the time by Bob Clearmountain, the double album captures Bowie on what at that time was his most successful tour. The artwork features shots taken by photographer Denis O’Regan.

Also included is the 2CD / 3LP GLASS SPIDER (LIVE MONTREAL ’87) album, making its debut on vinyl (which is exclusive to the LP box). The tour’s innovative set and marriage of music and theatre has been cited as a big inspiration to acts in the 2000’s. Speaking in 1991 about Glass Spider Bowie said, “It was the first time I'd had the opportunity to spend that kind of money and do shows like that! The first time since Diamond Dogs, anyway...I thought, right! Let’s really spend some money! I had all these thwarted dreams of what I'd tried to do with rock 'n roll in the early '70s”.

Exclusive to each box is ‘RE:CALL 4’ and ‘DANCE’. The former a new compilation featuring remastered contemporary single versions, non-album singles, album edits, b-sides and songs featured on soundtracks such as Labyrinth, Absolute Beginners and When The Wind Blows. ‘DANCE’ features 12 contemporaneous remixes some of which are appearing on CD and vinyl for the first time and is named after an unreleased Bowie remix album that was originally slated for release in November 1985.

The physical box set’s accompanying book, 128 pages in the CD box and 84 in the vinyl set, will feature rarely seen and previously unpublished photos by photographers including Denis O’Regan, Greg Gorman, Herb Ritts and many others as well as historical press reviews and technical notes about the albums from producers/engineers Nile Rodgers, Hugh Padgham, Mario McNulty and Justin Shirley-Smith.

The CD box set will include faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums, and the CDs will be gold coloured rather than the usual silver. The vinyl box set has the same content as the CD set and is pressed on audiophile quality 180g vinyl. As well as ‘Never Let Me Down (2018)’, ‘Dance’ and ‘Re:Call 4’, both ‘Serious Moonlight (Live ’83)’ and ‘Glass Spider (Live Montreal ’87)’.

https://www.davidbowie.com/blog/2018...88-due-october
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I imagine a lot of people won't dig this, since it's from his "commercial" period, but I might actually pick this one up. I don't have any of the three studio albums on this set, and I never knew the live albums existed. I always dug the singles from this era, like Let's Dance, China Doll (how can you not like songs that have such cool guitar playing on them as those two), Blue Jean (used to hear that at work a lot), and Loving The Alien.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This sounds pretty interesting, as long as the remixed album doesn't mess with Mickey Rourke's rap on "Shining Star (Makin' My Love)!"

Seriously though, I always felt like I was the only person who appreciated Never Let Me Down. About 2/3 of it is excellent, especially Time Will Crawl and Zeroes.

Tonight is a mixed affair but also has some great songs (and a few duds).

I think I need this.

The David Bowie releases continue!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...00-set-lp-dvd/

This one has been on the Internet for a while now, but it'll be cool to own the full set.

And tomorrow that Loving the Alien box is released!

COOL! And I love that song

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The David Bowie releases continue!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...00-set-lp-dvd/

This one has been on the Internet for a while now, but it'll be cool to own the full set.
    Nice! So does the DVD contain video or just 5.1 audio?

Looks like it’s the complete viddy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This sounds pretty interesting, as long as the remixed album doesn't mess with Mickey Rourke's rap on "Shining Star (Makin' My Love)!"
    I should have used this thread instead of starting my other thread about this box set - sorry!

Anyway, I'm about to listed to this rerecorded version of Never Let Me Down, so I just read the notes in the book first, and - LOL!! Not only has Mickey Rourke's (and David's) rap been messed with, it's been replaced by a spoken word section by Laurie Anderson! I actually have to think this will be an improvement. Frankly, Mickey Rourke's presence on the album always seemed like something doomed to almost instant anachronism.

Anyway, as I said I'm about to listen to Never Let Me Down 2018. It sounds fascinating! I think I'll try to post some thoughts after listening on my newer thread though.

RE; Never Let Me Down. Somewhere in the 90s Bowie demanded that the song 'Too Dizzy' was removed from the album forevermore (he was quoted as hating it) and that has been in place since. So the 80s releases are the only place you'll find that track.

FWIW I don't mind the first half up to and including 'Glass Spider'. I find that part of the album an improvement over Tonight, which beyond a couple of songs is pretty half-baked and reliant on indifferent covers. But I loathe the sound of it (as did Bowie...it has every bad 80s sound in the book) so I would be open to a remix. But alas it seems to only be in this big box, so forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    RE; Never Let Me Down. Somewhere in the 90s Bowie demanded that the song 'Too Dizzy' was removed from the album forevermore (he was quoted as hating it) and that has been in place since. So the 80s releases are the only place you'll find that track.

FWIW I don't mind the first half up to and including 'Glass Spider'. I find that part of the album an improvement over Tonight, which beyond a couple of songs is pretty half-baked and reliant on indifferent covers. But I loathe the sound of it (as did Bowie...it has every bad 80s sound in the book) so I would be open to a remix. But alas it seems to only be in this big box, so forget it.
    Oh, sh*t! I forgot about that song. Yeah, it wasn't great, but it wasn't HORRIBLE. Maybe this rerecording would have helped it. Well, I THINK I have the original CD somewhere in my basement or attic, and I'm sure the song is on YT. I guess with this much revisionism they're more or less doing what Bowie wanted, so whatever. That song did seem like an outtake from Tonight, I guess.

Unrelated, but the box has another insert advertising a set of 5 books of photos of Bowie (all apparently approved by him), called Ricochet. It's limited to 2000 copies and sells for 3000 British Pounds per copy! Holy crap! You have to really want to look at photos of Bowie to buy that set.

Another note about this set - I'm glad the re:call 4 disks have the Bowie songs from Labyrinth. I actually liked those songs. I used to have the LP but no longer.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.

^RE; Labyrinth. The production is slushy but for me 'As The World Falls Down' is a better song than most others he wrote during this mid 80s period- only 'Absolute Beginners' and 'Loving The Alien' better it, IMHO. I think it's lovely. The video made for it was apparently because it was planned as a single but that never happened.

Never Let Me Down has some good- if seldom great- songs among that production sprawl. Again the title track is lovely (apparently written for long-time assistant Corrine 'Coco' Schwab) but I hate all that clattering 80s nonsense going on in the background.

^RE; Labyrinth. The production is slushy but for me 'As The World Falls Down' is a better song than most others he wrote during this mid 80s period- only 'Absolute Beginners' and 'Loving The Alien' better it, IMHO. I think it's lovely. The video made for it was apparently because it was planned as a single but that never happened.

Never Let Me Down has some good- if seldom great- songs among that production sprawl. Again the title track is lovely (apparently written for long-time assistant Corrine 'Coco' Schwab) but I hate all that clattering 80s nonsense going on in the background.
    I'd actually forgotten about As The World Falls Down. I a meant the more Muppetish tracks (not that I'm much of a Muppet Fan) - I think those songs have a fun energy.

RE: Never Let Me Down, again the rerecording is very good. It makes it into a much more sonically interesting album. I have a feeling that this is what Gilmour or whoever meant when they referred to removing the 80s from "A Momentary Laps of Reason." Not that it's necessarily warranted there (or would be worth it), but it shows what is possible. Obviously it's a big undertaking.

^RE;

I have always had a soft spot for "Never Let Me Down". No it is not a great Bowie album, but it is not nearly as bad as many fans seem to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always had a soft spot for "Never Let Me Down". No it is not a great Bowie album, but it is not nearly as bad as many fans seem to think it is.
    I agree, and as I said above, the rerecorded version lifts it to new levels.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree, and as I said above, the rerecorded version lifts it to new levels.
    It’s really good. It’s like getting a brand new Bowie album. And there are some ripping Torn solos on it. What’s not to love?

It’s really good. It’s like getting a brand new Bowie album. And there are some ripping Torn solos on it. What’s not to love?
    And Reeves Gabrels - at least I THINK I can tell them apart. I can't wait to play it for my son who's a big Bowie fan. The cover of Iggy Pop's Bang Bang, which seemed like an afterthought on the original album, is great on this version.

I watched that recent documentary on Bowie on the BBC last week. I've never been a fan but I like musical documentaries and thought I might find something to like. I watched all the way through and remain ever so baffled as to what the appeal of this man is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I watched that recent documentary on Bowie on the BBC last week. I've never been a fan but I like musical documentaries and thought I might find something to like. I watched all the way through and remain ever so baffled as to what the appeal of this man is.
    For me, Bowie was very inconsistent. He did music that I absolutely love (“The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust” is an all-time classic to my ears), but he also did albums that did nothing for me (‘Outside” being an example). The guy was a musical chameleon, who experimented with so many different forms of music in his lifetime. Some of it worked, some of it didn’t. I never got to see him live, so can’t really judge him as a live performer other than on film.

^He is least appealing to me as a live act. Judging by his live albums (I too never saw him), Stage is really the only live album I return to consistently. (Black Out is good, too, but it’s basically the same set.). It’s great to hear Ronson tear things up on “Width of a Circle” on those Spiders live albums, but I generally prefer studio Bowie over live Bowie.

Somehow I never knew that they re-recorded Never Let Me Down for this box set. Considering that I don't have any of these albums on CD, this is seriously tempting now...

What say you gents? Should I go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Somehow I never knew that they re-recorded Never Let Me Down for this box set. Considering that I don't have any of these albums on CD, this is seriously tempting now...

What say you gents? Should I go for it?
    You can now buy four titles from this box in high res, ranging from 24/96 to 24/192:
    Let's Dance
    Never Let Me Down (2018 version)
    Serious Moonlight (live)
    Glass Spyder tour (live)

I picked up the first two but decided against the others as, while they sound ok in the CD box, I don't know how much more higher resolution would bring to them. But Let's Dance and Never Let Me Down 2018 sound great.

In the past, they've released entire box sets (except for Re:Call and, occasionally, a live show) in high res, so was surprised that this one was not. Still, Let's Dance and the 2018 Never Let Me Down make sense as the two studio high points of the box; ditto, not releasing the largely panned Tonight, the 12" mix disc, and the original Never Let Me Down make sense (at least, to me), and having them and the live sets in the hard CD box works perfectly fine for me.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You can now buy four titles from this box in high res, ranging from 24/96 to 24/192:
    Let's Dance
    Never Let Me Down (2018 version)
    Serious Moonlight (live)
    Glass Spyder tour (live)

I picked up the first two but decided against the others as, while they sound ok in the CD box, I don't know how much more higher resolution would bring to them. But Let's Dance and Never Let Me Down 2018 sound great.

In the past, they've released entire box sets (except for Re:Call and, occasionally, a live show) in high res, so was surprised that this one was not. Still, Let's Dance and the 2018 Never Let Me Down make sense as the two studio high points of the box; ditto, not releasing the largely panned Tonight, the 12" mix disc, and the original Never Let Me Down make sense (at least, to me), and having them and the live sets in the hard CD box works perfectly fine for me.
    Thanks John!

I didn't realize that Tonight was panned. Is it generally considered as not very good?

Looks like it’s the complete viddy.
    But you can also buy the high res audio at HDTracks, if you're not interested in the video.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks John!

I didn't realize that Tonight was panned. Is it generally considered as not very good?
    Well, that's my recollection, yes. It does have a few strong tracks, but is, at least IMO, a largely inconsistent recording.
    John Kelman