Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohemian Rhapsody - The Movie: Official Trailer

I saw the movie yesterday and had mixed feelings about it. Overall, I enjoyed it. I felt that the acting and overall atmospheric vibe were major pluses in the film. My favorite scene was the Live Aid concert simply because it brought me back to that time (actually reminded me more of the Wembley '86 show). I was immersed for a moment into that world, and it was a pleasant experience. I also enjoyed the scene where they were ripping on Roger about the "I'm In Love With My Car" song.

What I didn't care for were the historical inaccuracies or outright "lies" throughout the film. Sure, if you're a casual Queen fan, you would just presume everything stated in the film happened as told (dramatic license not withstanding). But for more knowledgeable Queen fans, they became distractions and the film became less "biopic" and more "fiction". Two examples are the "band breakup" which never happened (or not the way it was depicted at least) and the AIDS reveal (which didn't happen in 1985). One of the fall outs of the latter really depicts Freddie in a bad light. So you just learned that you have AIDS and it's at that time you seek out your partner Jim Hutton, knowing you're likely to infect anyone you're intimate with? Nice.

Ultimately, my take was this... even though they didn't present it or frame it that way in the film, the story was like one person's account of Queen from 40+ years ago, with all inaccuracies that come with one's memory recall, and no fact checking.

Queen band member: "Remember that guy Ray Foster who refused to release Bohemian Rhapsody so we stormed out, quit, and hurled a rock through his window?"

2nd band member: "Who's Ray Foster?"

And learning about how much the film was endorsed by May and Taylor, I'm curious as to why they would accept this as the story. So yes, mixed feelings.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I too thoroughly enjoyed it (the Hyde Park show in 1976 was my very first gig), but the inaccuracies were a shame - the first and worst in my view being the implication that the completed version of 'Seven Seas of Rhye', complete with vocals. appeared on the debut album!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    What I didn't care for were the historical inaccuracies or outright "lies" throughout the film. Sure, if you're a casual Queen fan, you would just presume everything stated in the film happened as told (dramatic license not withstanding). But for more knowledgeable Queen fans, they became distractions and the film became less "biopic" and more "fiction". Two examples are the "band breakup" which never happened (or not the way it was depicted at least) and the AIDS reveal (which didn't happen in 1985). One of the fall outs of the latter really depicts Freddie in a bad light. So you just learned that you have AIDS and it's at that time you seek out your partner Jim Hutton, knowing you're likely to infect anyone you're intimate with? Nice.

Ultimately, my take was this... even though they didn't present it or frame it that way in the film, the story was like one person's account of Queen from 40+ years ago, with all inaccuracies that come with one's memory recall, and no fact checking.

Queen band member: "Remember that guy Ray Foster who refused to release Bohemian Rhapsody so we stormed out, quit, and hurled a rock through his window?"

2nd band member: "Who's Ray Foster?"

And learning about how much the film was endorsed by May and Taylor, I'm curious as to why they would accept this as the story. So yes, mixed feelings.
    I just saw this film last night, and I agree with this. I mean, yes, dramatic license, sure. But after a while events are so blurry and misshapen that you just lose all track of where they're supposed to be. Why are they playing "Fat Bottomed Girls" in 1975? Why is Brian May just now getting around to "We Will Rock You" (and yeah, I'm so certain that's how the song was written) in 1980? He'd better hurry, the album it came out on is three years old.

But what's worse is how much tell-don't-show there is. The first scene with Austin Powers/"Ray Foster" is just... unbelievable. Freddie puts on an opera record, strides around the office, and one by one the band members declaim things like "Queen is a band that breaks boundaries" and "Queen isn't just about one thing." I mean, Christ. I honestly wanted to leave the theater at that point, it was so bad. And there's other cringeworthy things -- the aforementioned genesis of "We Will Rock You," for instance. The scene where Freddie "first meets" Brian and Roger (they'd known each other for a while, whatever), they chide him for his teeth, and he turns around and sings "Doing All Right" resonantly and perfectly. Just... urgh. So ham-handed.

And while the band members were perfect (my God, Gwylim Lee WAS Brian May) I never bought Malik as Mercury. He always looked and sounded like a hollow-eyed guy talking through fake teeth. His acting got better as the movie went along (the scene with Paul Prenter in the rain -- historically accurate or not -- was well done) but he never became Freddie at all to me. It just didn't help that the movie didn't seem close to the real history of Queen.

To be blunt, Freddie was a dynamite on-stage personality and a wonderful songwriter.... and not much else. And that's fine, he was an introvert in real life, and if the movie does anything well, it shows how vulnerable he was in his off-stage life. But there's not much about him, apart from his music career, that makes him all that interesting. So we spend a lot of moments filling the void shouting about how wonderful Queen is as a band and, as it were, "ticking the boxes" of what people expect of a biopic. Oh yeah, we got a "wild" party, but it looks like what an eight-year-old might imagine a wild rock and roll party would look like.

At least the music was good -- my significant other came with me and he enjoyed the music a lot. But even that was edited all weird ("Hammer to Fall" lost lines in odd places) and it threw my rhythm off. The acting and set design/costumes were decent, but it just failed to me as a movie. Although, in a way it didn't -- Queen is all about the music, full stop.. and I think this movie's success is solely based on people loving their music.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    it just failed to me as a movie. Although, in a way it didn't -- Queen is all about the music, full stop.. and I think this movie's success is solely based on people loving their music.
    Great post.

Yeah, I think your summary is well stated. People are "enjoying the ride" and reliving the music. I was talking to one casual Queen fan who saw it (he's in his 50s) and he kept talking about how he forgot how catchy the music was and he and his wife ended up downloading a lot of their catalog and "reliving" their past association.

My problem is (and I guess it's not really *my* problem) is the idea that people are walking away assuming this IS the true story and order of events. And I when I mentioned a few of the inaccuracies (in a very non-confrontational manner), I can't help but feel I just pissed in his Corn Flakes.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone have an idea when this movie will be available to stream on demand? I'm not sure how that is these days - there are some movies that are available right when they're released, but probably not this one. Just trying to decide if I should head to a theater or wait it out a bit. I really do want to see it, but kind of hate going to movie theaters these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone have an idea when this movie will be available to stream on demand? I'm not sure how that is these days - there are some movies that are available right when they're released, but probably not this one. Just trying to decide if I should head to a theater or wait it out a bit. I really do want to see it, but kind of hate going to movie theaters these days.
    Don't be cheap Jed..pay the price, but don't buy popcorn. It really has to be seen in a theatre, in fact I might see it again in IMAX.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Bohemian Rhapsody is historically accurate in the same way that Amadeus was historically accurate, which is to say not always. The difference is there are many people seeing the former who actually lived through the timeline of events depicted and who know the reality without having to consult a history text; I'm one of them. So, sure, there are a lot of people pointing out the inaccuracies (for whatever reason). Bottom line for me, though, is that it was well-cast, with a winning soundtrack, an engaging story, and entertaining as hell. I enjoyed Amadeus for the same reasons. YMMV
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

One last observation ...

One thing that amused me (and I don't think this is what they intended) is in the second scene with Austin Powers/"Ray Foster", "Ray" is arguing vehemently for "You're My Best Friend" being the first single, whereas the band are absolutely (and violently) intractable regarding BR being the first single and won't even consider "Friend". Guys, John Deacon is in the same room with you. I can imagine him piping up: "Ahem, guys? Y'know, I did write that song. It's not that bad, really."

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Don't be cheap Jed..pay the price, but don't buy popcorn. It really has to be seen in a theatre, in fact I might see it again in IMAX.
    It has nothing to do with cost - eventually Verizon will offer it "On Demand" and it'll cost whatever it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I agree, it needs to be seen in a theater. Personally l loved the film, but to each their own.

Trying to answer my own question, some site estimates it will be released on DVD in January.

One last observation ...

One thing that amused me (and I don't think this is what they intended) is in the second scene with Austin Powers/"Ray Foster", "Ray" is arguing vehemently for "You're My Best Friend" being the first single, whereas the band are absolutely (and violently) intractable regarding BR being the first single and won't even consider "Friend". Guys, John Deacon is in the same room with you. I can imagine him piping up: "Ahem, guys? Y'know, I did write that song. It's not that bad, really."
    I thought Deacon had to fight, furiously, to get "Friend" released as a single?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This movie inspired me to buy up their discography and I hope others follow suit. So even if the events are out of wack, it's driving people to their catalog.

Sort of amazed I didn't get to it sooner but there were always campy tunes that put me off. Gonna just bite the bullet though and plow though the albums and evaluate them one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Trying to answer my own question, some site estimates it will be released on DVD in January.
    I either go with Amazon release dates or this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This movie inspired me to buy up their discography and I hope others follow suit. So even if the events are out of wack, it's driving people to their catalog.

Sort of amazed I didn't get to it sooner but there were always campy tunes that put me off. Gonna just bite the bullet though and plow though the albums and evaluate them one by one.
    I'd be interested in your reviews of the albums if you wanted to write them!

Yeah, if it gets more people into Queen, the movie could have Freddie Mercury writing "Radio Ga Ga" while performing in a trapeze act with Marc Bolan in 1977 for all I cared.

New interview with Brian May, well worth listening too!

Addresses the whiners that complain about the historical inaccuracies. You can't cram Queen's history into a 2 hour movie without making some adjustments in the timeline, or altering events just to get through it quicker, in order to make a movie work. Duh! He was more concerned that the characters and basics of Queen's story were told, as it did, but it's not a documentary that everyone keeps claiming it is.

Did John Deacon get asked to endorse the movie, or is he so removed nobody bothered?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Addresses the whiners that complain about the historical inaccuracies. You can't cram Queen's history into a 2 hour movie without making some adjustments in the timeline, or altering events just to get through it quicker, in order to make a movie work. Duh! He was more concerned that the characters and basics of Queen's story were told, as it did, but it's not a documentary that everyone keeps claiming it is.
    As intelligent as Brian is, this is a bullshit explanation/excuse. You don't have to fudge facts to tell a story. He refers to it as a "biopic" which is how it's been marketed. A biopic is akin to a written biography. Biographies are criticized all the time for portraying factually inaccurate information. Obviously Brian is only concerned that the "essence" is true. But he can't scoff at fans (forget the critics) because they point out these things. I think treating them like "but you don't get it", it's not a documentary is not productive. Anyway, I'll stick to my original summary:

As intelligent as Brian is, this is a bullshit explanation/excuse. You don't have to fudge facts to tell a story. He refers to it as a "biopic" which is how it's been marketed. A biopic is akin to a written biography. Biographies are criticized all the time for portraying factually inaccurate information. Obviously Brian is only concerned that the "essence" is true. But he can't scoff at fans (forget the critics) because they point out these things. I think treating them like "but you don't get it", it's not a documentary is not productive.
    Yeah, I agree. There were ways they could have told the story in a concise, dramatic fashion without moving up Freddie's AIDS diagnosis (seriously, it's true: WTF is he doing to Jim Hutton if he knows he has AIDS?) or bouncing around songs. I mean, shit, they even HAD a segment featuring "Now I'm Here" after the part where "Bohemian Rhapsody" was written! Why not put "Now I'm Here" as the song played during the first American tour? It would have worked just as well ("America's new bride to be!")

Honestly, this isn't climate change or world hunger, so whether a Queen movie gets its facts straight is pretty inconsequential. But I'd been defending the band for over a year for not wanting Sasha Baron Cohen to distort their story or whatever, and then it turns out they just wanted to distort it in their own way. On top of that, the movie felt the need to shout from the rafters that Queen is amazing and incredible and thank God they were there to single-handedly save Live Aid. It just didn't need to be like that. The music was selling that point just fine.

It honestly doesn't matter; I don't feel any ill-will towards the movie but I just wouldn't want to see it again. While some of Freddie's private scenes are rather touching, I kept facepalming at many of the choppy, self-aggrandizing narrative choices. I think it's valid to complain how it distorts reality if it's selling itself as a biopic. And it's valid at the same time to say, "Meh, if it gets people into Queen, more power to it."

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Did John Deacon get asked to endorse the movie, or is he so removed nobody bothered?
    He's so removed all he did was approve of his songs being used in the film.

I will say the narrative point about "I Want to Break Free" rang true for me to a degree. I think Freddie really did resent somewhat getting the blame for that video.

But I'd been defending the band for over a year for not wanting Sasha Baron Cohen to distort their story or whatever, and then it turns out they just wanted to distort it in their own way.
    I think Cohen would have made a "truer" account, which is why they ultimately went in another direction.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think Cohen would have made a "truer" account, which is why they ultimately went in another direction.
    This is what the scuttlebutt was when Cohen parted from the film.

I won't see it as I know I would not enjoy the alternative facts presented.

However if it reacquaints or re-inspires peeps to revisit or acquire the catalogue, I always welcome another Queen fan.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I won't see it as I know I would not enjoy the alternative facts presented.
    There's a lot more to the movie than just a few misplaced facts. I find it sad that all the internet bitching about a few things would make someone who "loves a band enough to know all the facts" will not go to see a 2 hour cinematic tribute to that same band.

Is there any fake crowd noise? If so, I'm out.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    There's a lot more to the movie than just a few misplaced facts. I find it sad that all the internet bitching about a few things would make someone who "loves a band enough to know all the facts" will not go to see a 2 hour cinematic tribute to that same band.
    Its also sad that someone on the Internet would presume that they know more about what makes me happy as a fan than I do; that having fandom of the music pardons the rewriting of events.

As Cozy more eloquently put it, these are no mere artistic license matters, especially about who knew what re: AIDS diagnosis.

I was living in London when Freddie passed and there was a lot of flak (and rightly so IMO) for the hiding of his diagnosis for years until just 24 hours before his death.

While his passing did lead to more AIDS research advocacy and discussion, Freddie's advocacy while ALIVE could have been a bigger boon.

IMO such a blatant change is a not subtle attempt to remove that mark on his legacy,

Doesn't stop me from playing Hammersmith 75 or enjoying Highlander.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit