Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis Calling all Stations

Genesis Calling all Stations

Have I noticed correctly ? The re-mastered cd doesn't include any bonus tracks, or the three singles that came out on cd single ? That's lame.

AFAIK *none* of the remasters had bonus tracks per se, many of their B-sides only came out in the boxes of these remixes. I don't know if the Wilson B-sides were ever put in the 1983-1998 box as I don't have it.

I didn't think this one was ever remastered.

This wasn't part of the boxed sets.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It was in the second box-set they put out. The Gabriel era was the third and last...for whatever reason.

D'oh! You're right, JJ88. That's the one I didn't get, and my quick Internet search was incomplete.

Sorry for the misinformation.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Are they any good i.e. better than some songs on the album as had been the case with previous releases re: the songs that didn't make the cut thread ????

I've always had the feeling that a second album with this lineup would have been really interesting and much better. Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Are they any good i.e. better than some songs on the album as had been the case with previous releases re: the songs that didn't make the cut thread ????
    The boxset included some but not all of the B-sides from this era. The band did not want to outweigh the Collins-era B-sides with Wilson-era B-sides, but as far as completeness is concerned, it was a lame choice IMO.

The boxset has Anything Now, Sign Your Life Away and Run Out Of Time, which are the best ones to be honest. I would say these 3 songs are better than some of the album songs.

Were missing: Papa He Said, Banjo Man, Phret, 7/8 and Nowhere Else To Turn, although the latter was never officially released but leaked on the net.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I've always had the feeling that a second album with this lineup would have been really interesting and much better. Alas.
    I always felt the same way - especially since CAS didn't really feel finished, to my ears.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I listened to several tracks from CAS last night in 5.1. It is a very good sounding album. I know it gets criticism, but I am a big fan of this album. I don't disagree that a 2nd album from this lineup could have been quite good.
    Chad

^ yeah I never understood the criticism for the album either... I thought it had some very good moments and personally wished they had stuck together for another release and rebuilt the fan base...

It did have some good moments for sure. I think "There Must Be Some Other Way" is a great tune. "Sign Your Life Away" should have been on the album. I've never been overly thrilled with "Papa He Said", "Banjo Man" or "7/8", but they're okay.

My biggest gripe with this album is the fact that so many of the tracks fade out slowly. Some of Banks' sounds were a little corny too. But overall it's quite good when I'm in the mood for it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    some of the CAS B-sides are better than what's on the actual album. The 83-96 box set has a bunch of those b-sides on the bonus disc.

If you judge it against all the albums Genesis did before this but after Duke I'd say it's at least as prog sounding as any of those if not more so. It does wind up sounding a bit like a standard neo prog album to some degree but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't agree with all the bashing it gets either. The thing is I remember them playing this over the PA at Wachovia when I saw Genesis in 07 and I got the feeling that very few people there even recognized it out of those who were even paying attention. I was wearing my Spock's Beard t shirt which probably also went over most people's heads. I say that if CAS was made by another band not called Genesis it would not get the bum rap it seems to get even among prog fans.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Loved the song Banjo Man, which I think was a b-side from one of the CAS singles.

I actually haven't given CAS that many listens, but it sounded pretty decent to me, surprisingly.

This album is one of those that has taken many years to grow on me. Below is my review on progarchives. Sorry for the length, I got on a roll.

This is the so called "darker album" that Banks and Rutherford promised, but did not follow thru on. There are many problems on Calling All Stations but the biggest was the attraction to the sizable pop/rock audience that was built up over the years. It proved too tough to resist and what was produced was an album with several ballads with a singer who can't sing them. Ray Wilson was great
    on the rock songs, Dividing Line, Congo etc, but his voice isn't suited for the softer material. Another problem is that while the drumming was not at fault on the album, Chester Thompson wanted to be a full time Genesis member on this recording but Banks and Rutherford turned him down. Chester walked. I believe Daryl Stuermer also wanted in but met the same fate as the long time live drummer. I can't help but think it was one huge missed opportunity after another. The crushing blow was the manager's decision to tour stadiums in the USA and the refusal to scale back the tour and play arenas finished off the great band known as Genesis.

A strong 2 or a weak 3 rating, gets a 2 because of what it could have been.

Two months after the review above, which was a week after a deleted 1 star review, I actually sat down and listened to Calling All Stations for the first time in about 10 years. This time I listened without the expectations of the marketing departments "Return to the glory days" and "the darker album". I wanted to give the album a fair shot and well, I was quite surprised. I still like the rockier songs, I still think they made most all of the mistakes that I mentioned above. What did change is that Ray Wilson is a better singer then I originally gave him credit for. No, his voice would never get the ballads onto pop radio but he does have a style that appeals.

The thing that bothered me this time was the rather basic and plotting bass of several songs. Rutherford usually has something of interest for the followers. Anyway, I enjoyed CAS as never before. Still flawed, but a solid 3 stars.

BTW, On the Platinum Collection, Genesis really blew it again. They decided to fill the 3 disc set in reverse release order, EXCEPT that instead of starting with a song from CAS, they hid it as the last song on the first disk. As if they were embarrassed by it. They should have opened with Dividing Line, drum solo and all, to say we are back, like they did when they released Trick of the Tale with the mighty Dance on a Volcano leading off.

Back to the present, I can't get this cd out of the player. No, it's not broken, I'm really enjoying this album now. Big mistake by not following up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    what was produced was an album with several ballads with a singer who can't sing them. Ray Wilson was great
    on the rock songs, Dividing Line, Congo etc, but his voice isn't suited for the softer material.
    I don't agree with this at all.

BTW, On the Platinum Collection, Genesis really blew it again. They decided to fill the 3 disc set in reverse release order, EXCEPT that instead of starting with a song from CAS, they hid it as the last song on the first disk. As if they were embarrassed by it. They should have opened with Dividing Line, drum solo and all, to say we are back, like they did when they released Trick of the Tale with the mighty Dance on a Volcano leading off.
    Completely agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't agree with this at all.
    As I have listened to CAS often lately, I'm enjoying it more every time. I found some of Ray Wilson's solo work live on the net, and suddenly it clicked. He's very talented. I will not go so far as to say he has the perfect voice for pop, but it wasn't Ray who sunk that album. I will stick by what I said about marketing and Banks and Rutherford not really deciding what they wanted and not giving most of the songs a proper ending. It's been said by others that if this did not have the namr Genesis on it, CAS would have gotten more positive reviews.

Banned

yea, they really blew it probably still keeps them up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    I listened to several tracks from CAS last night in 5.1. It is a very good sounding album. I know it gets criticism, but I am a big fan of this album. I don't disagree that a 2nd album from this lineup could have been quite good.

I too really enjoy this album and especially in 5.1. I always felt that TMBSOW sounds like David Coverdale. Anyone else?

I enjoy all Genesis' albums...but I have to say this is the one I find weakest, by some distance. They went at it half-heartedly IMHO, putting some weak ballads on there and having those awful fade-outs on a few tracks. But I do hear the personality of Genesis in songs like the title track, 'The Dividing Line', 'There Must Be Some Other Way' and 'Uncertain Weather'. I like the 2nd half of 'Alien Afternoon'- Ray Wilson really gets inside the more substantial material here.

'Not About Us' is a decent ballad. The rest, *meh*, as the saying goes! I remember being so disheartened at 'Congo' and 'Shipwrecked' that I stopped the album after that on the first few listens, not hearing the better songs for a few years!

It did well in Britain considering the 'star' had left, but I gather it was a total disaster in the US.

Banned
    wow, what's the big deal about songs that fade out???

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    wow, what's the big deal about songs that fade out???
    A couple of them seem kind of awkward as I recall, rather sudden

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Banned
    "Suppers Ready" faded out too...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    A couple of them seem kind of awkward as I recall, rather sudden

BG
    Yep - exactly.