Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins Plays Well With Others

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've always liked Miss You from the August album, some pretty great playing from EC.
    The only track from August on Clapton's Crossroads box which came out in the 80s. That box also has some of the shelved songs Clapton and Collins recorded for Behind The Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I think Clapton didn't mind being a sideman occasionally - he toured with Roger Waters as such, after all, and actually asked George Harrison to tour with him in Japan as a co-headliner.
    He played with Dire Straits at the 1988 Wembley bash for Nelson Mandela, 'Wonderful Tonight' the only song of his in among half-a-dozen or so Straits songs. IIRC Simple Minds also did a stint as backup for Peter Gabriel.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    IIRC Simple Minds also did a stint as backup for Peter Gabriel.
    Never heard that one before. Interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

See also Clapton's time with Delaney And Bonnie...although the album still put his name on the cover!

There's live BBC footage with Collins playing drums for John Martyn, I forget if he actually toured with Martyn though. I think it was to promote Grace And Danger which he played on, and he also produced the follow-up Glorious Fool (I think the first Martyn album to chart!).

It is well know that Phil was a whore. He seemed to play with anyone (not a bad thing mind you), but I do wonder if that is how he wore is body out. The poor guy is the poster-boy for the walking wounded....

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    It is well know that Phil was a whore. He seemed to play with anyone (not a bad thing mind you).
    Silly and inaccurate way to characterize it. That implies he was compromising himself purely for money. Does that mean all the thousands of jazz musicians who play with myriads of different musicians are also "whores"? Come on. How about 'workaholic'?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Silly and inaccurate way to characterize it. That implies he was compromising himself purely for money. Does that mean all the thousands of jazz musicians who play with myriads of different musicians are also "whores"? Come on. How about 'workaholic'?
    thank you!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

It is well know that Phil was a whore. He seemed to play with anyone (not a bad thing mind you), but I do wonder if that is how he wore is body out. The poor guy is the poster-boy for the walking wounded....
    Wow. Did you actually think before you posted that?

Rufus? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Wow. Did you actually think before you posted that?
    He misspoke. He meant Phil is one of those musicians who're always busy.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I was a store one day, and I heard a sequence of songs that went from a Genesis tune (I think it was That's All, or it might have been Invisible Touch itself),

followed by I Know There's Something Going On (great intro and probably the greatest instance of the "Phil Collins drum sound" on record),

followed by an Abba song, I think it was I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do

I thought to myself, "There's no way that's an accident, someone had to have deliberately programmed those songs in that order"). Unfortunately, I had to go catch a bus, so I didn't find out if this continued beyond those three songs or not.

WOW! Could anybody just give this guy a break. Just think about how different ALL our music would be without Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Just think about how different ALL our music would be without Phil!
    A world without Phil??? That's a world I do NOT want to live in!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Rufus? Is that you?
    Wow. I forgot about Woofus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    He misspoke. He meant Phil isn't a whore.
    Fixed it for you. (With some help from....)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Fixed it for you. (With some help from....)
    You didn't fix it, you just trumped it up.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

He's very forgettable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Yes, they had become good friends, Phil was there for him trying to deal with his drug issues, and he not only drummed on several albums, he produced at least one of them in the mid 80s, helping Claptons "comeback".
    Just as a reaffirmation of that friendship, Clapton played on "I Wish It Would Rain Down” from the “...But Seriously” album. A good song!

Quote Originally Posted by Rulo View Post
    Just as a reaffirmation of that friendship, Clapton played on "I Wish It Would Rain Down” from the “...But Seriously” album. A good song!
    Yep. Love that one.

He was also on "The Roof is Leaking" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" from Face Value.

The eons are closing
    That's EC on that cover from Face Value?! Didn't know
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    You mean he actually sang In The Air Tonight on Clapton's tour? That seems pretty weird.
    Eric probably insisted on Phil doing a song or two, I imagine. I remember MTV airing that concert. The band was Eric, Phil, and LA studio asses Nathan East on bass and Gregg Philligaines on keyboards. They did a very laidback version of Crossroads, White Room (with Gregg singing the same chorus following each verse), several songs from August, In The Air Tonight, and Layla. Layla was preceded by a guitar and synth intro. I also recall there was way too much synth on the instrumental section of Layla (I think a Rolling Stone review of a show on that tour described it as being "blitzed by synths" or something like that), and with only Eric on guitar, the only time you heard the guitar hook was during the intro and following the guitar solo.

If I remember correctly, that was the first tour Clapton had done as a solo artist with a small band like that. Every band he had before that had, at the very least, a second guitarist (either George Terry, Albert Lee, or Tim Renwick) and a couple female backup singers (one of them, in the first band, being Yvonne Elliman).
    I think Clapton didn't mind being a sideman occasionally - he toured with Roger Waters as such,
    It's worth noting that when Clapton dropped out of the second leg of Roger's tour (to go off and do his own album and tour), he poached two of the musicians. Tim Renwick and Chris Stainton had been playing in that band on the first leg of the Pros & Cons tour, but when Eric bowed out, they went with him. I think Renwick even admitted he used doing that tour as a means of "getting his foot in the door" to work with Eric.
    I'm not sure Clapton played his songs at the gigs he did as a sideman.
    As far as I know, he didn't, other than when he played with Dire Straits at the Nelson Mandela tribute concert, where he did Wonderful Tonight. I think he used sideman gigs as an excuse to not play Layla, Wonderful Tonight, Cream stuff, etc. When he and George Harrison did a press conference to announce their Japanese tour, they were asked if they would do Layla (because of course, Layla inspired by Patti Boyd, who had been married first to George, then Eric), and they both sort of laughed, with Eric suggesting backing George would give him a good reason to not do that song (which I sometimes think he has an ambivalent relationship with, owing to it's overwhelming popularity).

Back to Dire Straits and the Nelson Mandela gig:

I have part it from the US TV broadcast (aired on the Fox Network, who hacked up the sets of most, if not all the artists, left songs out and in a different order, and in fact, attempted to downplay the whole point of the concert). At one point in the show, Mark Knopfler introduces the band, which was otherwise basically the same band that played on the Brothers In Arms tour. He gets to the end, having named everyone except Eric. He then says something like "You may have noticed Jack isn't with us" (Jack Sonni was the rhythm guitarist on the Brothers In Arms tour), then explains that Jack couldn't do the gig because his wife had just given birth, and then congratulates the couple. He then apologizes, mock sheepishly for having to get someone at the last minute to fill, "We're sorry, but this was the best we could do" before saying Eric's name.

But like I said, with the August tour, I imagine Eric probably knew promoters were gonna use Phil's name in the advertising, and he maybe thought if people were gonna come to the show because of Phil, maybe he should throw them a bone by having Phil do one or two of his songs.
    I'm not too fond of Journeyman. I like August and Under The Sun a lot. I was disappointed that the single, "Forever Man" from August, which had a fair amount of video airplay on MTV, was not performed live on that tour.
    On which tour? It was certainly played on the Behind The Sun tour. I remember it being part of the concert MTV aired from that one. But now that I think about it, I don't thinkt he Behind The Sun concert video had anything from either Backless or Money And Cigarettes on it. Maybe this was the beginning of "I'm here to promote the new album, so I'll do a few songs from that, but I know you really want to hear my old stuff, that's mostly what I'm gonna do".

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    A world without Phil??? That's a world I do NOT want to live in!
    Me neither!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He's very forgettable.
    Good ol' Roofis.

Yep. Love that one.

He was also on "The Roof is Leaking" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" from Face Value.
    Yeah, "I Wish It Would Rain Down" is a great song IMO. One of Phil's best, and having Eric Clapton on it just adds to the cool factor.

But I never knew Clapton was on those songs from Face Value. That's awesome!

Never heard that one before. Interesting.
    It was just one song (Biko), so more of a guest appearance by Pete.

Rufus has now taken his schtick to the Steve Hoffman Forum. One of his Collins-related 'greatest hits' was claiming Graeme Edge was a better drummer. He never did get back to me on why he felt that was.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Yeah I would say Phil was the least of Zep's problems that day.. the whole set was horrendous..
    Led Zeppelin ruined Phil Collins!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.