Page 3 of 394 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    "I have acute earing" "I'm not interested in your jewelry, Cloth eyes!"
    "We need a name for you... how about Professor... Flask?"
    "Professor DEATH!"
    "or.... Professor..."
    "Professor RAPE!"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Marathon Man
    Godfather II
    Kick Ass
    Shawshank Redemption
    Bourne Identity
    The Shape of Water
    Lion
    Amadeus
    One Flew Over A Cuckos Nest
    Sid and Nancy
    Fargo
    Moulin Rouge
    Untouchables
    Up In Smoke
    20 or 30 more
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "I have acute earing" "I'm not interested in your jewelry, Cloth eyes!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "We need a name for you... how about Professor... Flask?"
    "Professor DEATH!"
    "or.... Professor..."
    "Professor RAPE!"
    And let's not forget Cabin Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And let's not forget Cabin Boy!
    "That's Cabin Boy Smith, sir."
    "Smith has tits."
    "....'ees been a bit ill, sir."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"That's Cabin Boy Smith, sir."
    "Smith has tits."
    "....'ees been a bit ill, sir."
    The beekeeper would like you to sign this
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The beekeeper would like you to sign this
    Ahahahahaha! That's it, I'm pulling the DVD from the shelf to remind me to watch it this week! I was never so thrilled as when this one finally came out on DVD. Although I'd like a word with whoever it was at MGM who thought Cheech & Chong's faces should take up 3/4 of the cover. This movie is not about them! It's about guys like Feldman, Chapman, Cook, Milligan...

Ahahahahaha! That's it, I'm pulling the DVD from the shelf to remind me to watch it this week! I was never so thrilled as when this one finally came out on DVD. Although I'd like a word with whoever it was at MGM who thought Cheech & Chong's faces should take up 3/4 of the cover. This movie is not about them! It's about guys like Feldman, Chapman, Cook, Milligan...
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Next you'll be watching The Last Remake of Beau Geste!

Next you'll be watching The Last Remake of Beau Geste!
    Another great one with a stacked cast!

In more of the guilty pleasures end of things.
    Fifth Element
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Citizen Kane
    Caddyshack
    A Portrait of Jenny
    Almost Famous
    Batteries Not Included

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    - A Very Long Engagement
    - Black Cat, White Cat
    - Runaway Train
    - Big Lebowski
    - Office Space
    - The Usual Suspects (nothing like the first time of course, but KS performance is a pleasure)
    - Contact
    - The Shawshank Redemption
    - A Beautiful Mind
    - Falling Down
    - Apollo 13
    - Bullit
    - A Fish Called Wanda
    - Four Weddings and a Funeral

Guilty Pleasures:
    - Lord of the Rings (1-3)
    - Cannonball Run
    - Pretty Woman
    - Notting Hill
    - Midway
    - North by Northwest
    - Castaway
    - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Dany Kaye version)
    - Independence Day
    - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    - Bourne (1-3)
    - The Fugitive
    - Airplane
    - Ruthless People
    When I got one of the first iPods, I debated about what movie to put on there as a long-term go-to time killer. It was between Cannonball Run and Gremlins 2. I went with Cannonball.

I gotta comment about my Gremlins connection. Hoyt Axton, who played Zach Galligan's father who buys him the Mogwai at the beginning of the movie, and who also was a great singer-songwriter ("Greenback Dollar", "Joy To The World", "Never Been To Spain") was an acquaintance of mine during the summer of 1964 in CA. While it would be exaggerating to call him a friend, we were at parties together and shared a smoke a few times.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    In more of the guilty pleasures end of things.
    Fifth Element
    Great sci fi movie, nothing to feel guilty about. One of the few very well done sci-fi movies which is also (intentionally) funny.

At the top of a list of go tos would be many of the big epics that many people would cite (Lawrence of Arabia
    North by Northwest,Dr Strangelove, Shane,Taxidriver,Godfather,Schindler's List,2001 Space Odyssey,The Graduate, Goodfellas, Apollo 13, Shawshank etc), plus almost anything by the great directors like Kubrick, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Lynch but here's some favs some of which are overlooked that I never tire of:

Videodrome/Crash--Cronenberg
    Videodrome fascinating take on power of visual media on the brain; Crash bizarre, unsettling and oddly erotic

Modern Romance/Lost in America--Albert Brooks

High Fidelity--must see for any music lover or Chicago resident

Quick Change--Murray most underrated

Election--great swipe at electoral politics in US via a HS student council election, brilliantly and ironically portends the 2000 hanging chad stolen election

WarGames--best movie about the folly of nuke war this side of Strangelove

Hard Eight--from director of Boogie Nights, one of the best movies you've maybe never seen

Autofocus--true story of Bob Crane

Box of Moonlight--underrated slice of life comedy/drama w also underrated Turturro and Sam Rockwell

The Player--Altman best film, best movie about movies

Fargo, Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men--Coen Bros (my Minn boys)
    No Country is relentless filmmaking

Mulholland Dr/Lost Highway-Lynch

Eyes Wide Shut--Kubrick (brilliant last statement)

Grindhouse/Inglorious Bastards-Tarantino

The Revenant--best most recent adventure pic in awhile, stunning cinematography

The Game--fantastic, almost Hitchcock like. First time you see it, the end blows you away.

Angel Heart--bizarre and unsettling, like a very intense Twilight Zone

At Close Range--based on true story, underrated w Walken, a rural Godfather

Glengarry Glen Ross--great dialogue flick

KPax--under the radar gem

Arlington Road--creepy realistic tale of right wing nutjobs who may be your next door neighbors (see Okla City)

Somwhat Older flicks//
    Diner/Tin Men --Barry Levinson, great dialogue flicks

Body Heat
    The Fugitive
    Hunt for Red October

Bladerunner and Bladerunner 2049--most fascinating sci fi ever, groundbreaking

The Bounty--looks fantastic on BR

The Last Emperor-the last great epic movie ever made? great history, gorgeous Criterion BR

Man From Laramie--great Jimmy Stewart western gorgeous on BR

Hud--overlooked Paul Newman tale of the dying west

Bad Day at Black Rock--great western tale of prejudice/racism and what happens when a tyrant rules a small town, amazing cast, a lot of modern parallels in politics

Ship of Fools--another great story of prejudice and racism in pre WWII era

Anatomy of a Murder--one of the best courtroom dramas ever, Jimmy Stewart vs George C Scott is brilliant

In Cold Blood--chilling

Seven Men From Now--Boetticher
    Ride Lonesome--Boetticher, some of the best westerns you've probably never seen
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

One film that comes to mind that will be 25 years old next year is The Shawshank Redemption. This flick qualifies for me as great storytelling combined with compelling performances and is always one of the films that - if you ever come across it on TV - you land there and just watch it again. It never gets old.

What movie favorites do you all have that you never, ever tire of watching?
    Love Shawshank Redemption

For me has to be the James Bond series... Seen these all well over 10 times now.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I gotta comment about my Gremlins connection. Hoyt Axton, who played Zach Galligan's father who buys him the Mogwai at the beginning of the movie, and who also was a great singer-songwriter ("Greenback Dollar", "Joy To The World", "Never Been To Spain") was an acquaintance of mine during the summer of 1964 in CA. While it would be exaggerating to call him a friend, we were at parties together and shared a smoke a few times.
    He’s also featured on the “JBL Sessions” album that I digitized a few years ago. He had a GORGEOUS singing voice, though I didn’t much care for most of his choices of material.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Big Trouble In Little China, if it comes on I have to watch it, that and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    Brother from another mother!

Those are two of my all-time favorites. I would round it off with Time Bandits, which I usually list as my favorite movie when asked.

BTW - I have seen Zu. The editing is terrible, but it is a fun movie and worth seeing: off-beat humor, lots of weirdness, and just about everyone flies around on wires at one point or another.

In a completely different vein:

Has anyone else here seen Hardcore Logo? It is pretty obscure, but a really great band-on-tour film.
    Last edited by notallwhowander; 07-12-2018 at 01:01 AM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Hombre
    Defending Your Life
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Two music related movies that I don't think have been mentioned and are in my top 10 all time: "The Commitments", directed by Alan Parker who did "Midnight Express" and "Pink Floyd: The Wall"; and "That Thing You Do" directed by and starring Tom Hanks. That cast of unknown Irish actors in "The Commitments" is just magical together. And Liv Tyler lights up every scene she's in in TTYD. I love the fact that the bass player isn't named throughout the film and is shown in the credits as "The Bass Player". Can any one-time aspiring musician watch the scene when The Oneders first hear their song on the radio without getting goosebumps?

Another great one with a stacked cast!
    "Keep screwing! Keep screwing!"

The movie I've seen the most isn't a great movie, but it's a movie that HBO, back in the day, showed endlessly, and my brothers and I watched it so many times:

Meatballs

How about the movie "Overboard?" That movie is ALWAYS on on one channel or another. I think it's an FCC rule. (They're making or made a remake of it with the main gender roles reversed. They should do this with every comedy, it'll keep the studios busy for decades. Like with Ghostbusters, I guess - I still haven't seen that remake.)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The movie I've seen the most isn't a great movie, but it's a movie that HBO, back in the day, showed endlessly, and my brothers and I watched it so many times:

Meatballs

How about the movie "Overboard?" That movie is ALWAYS on on one channel or another. I think it's an FCC rule. (They're making or made a remake of it with the main gender roles reversed. They should do this with every comedy, it'll keep the studios busy for decades. Like with Ghostbusters, I guess - I still haven't seen that remake.)
    The new Ghostbusters was pretty forgettable. Not horrible but not good either. I do like the cast who have done lots of good comedy.

The studios already do way too many remakes and sequels.

At least -- so far anyway -- they haven't made all of us rebuy their movies by re-releasing them with improved color and focus, with improved graphics, in several different formats (including obsolete ones like VHS and Beta), and with the raw footage having been re-edited by some hot editor who claims he can improve the old chestnuts with his razor blade.

A few obscure faves:

Mid-August Lunch (2009)
    Delightful Italian dramedy by Gianni Dio Gregorio

53 Pickup (1986)
    Sleazy Elmore Leonard tale starring Roy Scheider , Ann Margret and John Glover as one of cinemas most imaginative psychopaths.

Spring Forward (1999)
    Liev Schreiber and Ned Beatty as town workers in Ridgefield Ct.Beautiful story.

Smile (1975)
    Michael Ritchies satire on a teenage beauty pageant in CA. Starring Bruce Dern and a teenage Melanie Griffith.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone