Page 68 of 397 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Return of the Pink Panther has an obsessed Dreyfus trying to assassinate Clouseau throughout (although you don't know until the end) to the point of being arrested and committed to an insane asylum. Strikes Again continues the story as stated above with him escaping. They are all extremely funny, but these two are my faves.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    re: spiders, I'm pretty fascinated by them. My problem with a lot of movies that feature them is that they so often use tarantulas, which IMO aren't scary. They're slow and fuzzy. I used to have one for a pet, and would hold it.

I find the hairless spiders much scarier and cooler! The worst/best I saw were in summer camp as a kid, in the eaves of one of the camp buildings - big, hairless, beige spiders, with abdomens the size of a grape. Just sitting in their webs over the doorway. They were always there.

This is pretty good:
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw the new Robinhood last night. Pretty weak but still some semi-interesting action scenes.

Bitch

Caught this bizarre film on Netflix tonight. Jill is the atypical suburban mom stuck in a rut. Shuttling four kids to and from school, sports,
    and activities. Has a selfish philandering husband who pays little attention to her. She finally breaks down, which sees her manifesting the persona
    of a vicious dog. Often funny, freaky, and sweet. Strange as the concept sounds, it actually kinda works.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw the new Robinhood last night. Pretty weak but still some semi-interesting action scenes.
    Hadn't heard of this - just watched the trailer. Looks like an attempt to emulate the Assassin's Creed games, which I guess makes sense. Give me Errol Flynn...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Give me Errol Flynn...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Give me Errol Flynn.... "You keep all your smart modern writers, Give me William Shakespeare. You keep all of your smart modern painters, I'll take Rembrandt, Titian, Da Vinci and Gainsborough."

re: Robin Hood

Give me Errol Flynn...
    Give me Daffy Duck

Loved the gag in Men In Tights, where the King asks Robin Hood why the people should trust him, and he responds, "Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!", and the crowd behind him gasps. Clearly a swipe at Kevin Costner.

spellbound wrote:

>> Give me Errol Flynn.... "You keep all your smart modern writers, Give me William Shakespeare. You keep all of your smart modern painters, I'll take Rembrandt, Titian, Da Vinci and Gainsborough."

Don't think I understand this. Are you saying you think this new "Robin Hood" movie is better than the 1938 version? If so, that's fine. I just think this new version will pale compared to the 1938 version. Probably compared to Sir Walter Scott's version too. YMMV.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-01-2018 at 06:08 PM.

I really really wish someone would do a DECENT Robin Hood story. Bring it into this century with some style and grit, not insult the audience's intelligence, and tell a coherent story. There were some aspects of Costner's version that worked but some, especially the lead, that did not. They made Richman's character too cheesy. Imagine if it had been written as someone really malevolent, not "cancel Christmas".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My favorite Robin Hood visual version remains the British version from the early 80s, Robin Of Sherwood. I've seen the trailer for the new one, and it looks like an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My favorite Robin Hood visual version remains the British version from the early 80s, Robin Of Sherwood. I've seen the trailer for the new one, and it looks like an abomination.
    Wasn't that the one with Sean Connery's son in the lead?

Yeah, it had a great supernatural element
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wasn't that the one with Sean Connery's son in the lead?
    He was the 2nd RH. The first was much better. I have the complete series on DVD, but can't be bothered to look up the principals. Insert Clannad reference here too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He was the 2nd RH. The first was much better. I have the complete series on DVD, but can't be bothered to look up the principals. Insert Clannad reference here too.
    Gotcha. I've never seen it myself, I only know Jason Connery played Robin Hood because, just like every other actor, director, and technician working in British TV, he has a Doctor Who connection. As such, the Robin Hood thing is mentioned in the production notes and audio commentary on the DVD of whichever story it was that he appeared in (Vengeance On Varos, maybe?).

spellbound wrote:

>> Give me Errol Flynn.... "You keep all your smart modern writers, Give me William Shakespeare. You keep all of your smart modern painters, I'll take Rembrandt, Titian, Da Vinci and Gainsborough."

Don't think I understand this. Are you saying you think this new "Robin Hood" movie is better than the 1938 version? If so, that's fine. I just think this new version will pale compared to the 1938 version. Probably compared to Sir Walter Scott's version too. YMMV.
    "Give me Errol Flynn" made me think of the Kinks song "20th Century Man." I wasn't making any comment about the new Robin Hood Movie. I haven't seen it, or heard much about it. With most movies, I prefer the original to a remake. Similar to, but less eloquent than, Ray Davies' POV in the song. If I had an opinion about the new movie, and felt compelled to share it, I would state it directly.

Tonight my wife and I watched - and loved, The Gathering Storm, an HBO movie from 2002 that had slipped by me over the years, starring the incredible Albert Finney as Winston Churchill in the days leading up to WWII. What an amazing supporting cast: Derek Jacobi, Vanessa Redgrave, Lena Headey, Jim Broadbent, Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Bonneville, Ronnie Barker... I found it an utterly enchanting watch. Highly recommended!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "Give me Errol Flynn" made me think of the Kinks song "20th Century Man." I wasn't making any comment about the new Robin Hood Movie. I haven't seen it, or heard much about it. With most movies, I prefer the original to a remake. Similar to, but less eloquent than, Ray Davies' POV in the song. If I had an opinion about the new movie, and felt compelled to share it, I would state it directly.
    I apologize for that - I was too lazy or rushed to listen to the song, but just did and it's pretty excellent. I know you're a straight shooter, so I should have just...listened to the song, I guess.

I think Roy Harper may have been referencing this on his own song "Twentieth Century Man" (from 1984).

No worry. No need to apologize. I sensed no animosity coming from you. You were just asking a question. Fair enough, especially considering my comments are sometimes sideways, like when I veer off into a song I am reminded of. I may or may not have heard the Roy Harper song, but will refresh my memory on it soon. Better there are two '20th century man' songs than a thousand 'robin hood' movies.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "Give me Errol Flynn" made me think of the Kinks song "20th Century Man."
    Or Steve Hackett's line about a "young Errol Flynn" in the Genesis song Blood on the Rooftops.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Hereditary was the best horror film of 2018.
    Just watched this over the weekend and it completely blew me away. It was not what I expected. Extremely disturbing, in a good way. One of the best horror movies I have seen in a very long time.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Sellers? Murder By Death.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I've been trying to stay out of here but the pull is getting stronger.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Outlaw King. Available on Netflix. Basically, you could call it Braveheart the Sequel. Except that it's about Robert the Bruce, King of the Scots, not William Wallace. It stars Chris Pine and is written & directed by David Mackenzie, the guy who directed Hell or High Water (the western that starred Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine, and Ben Foster).

I liked it!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe